• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo re-invents Hexcrawling

vagabundo

Adventurer
Hmm I've browsed through the free Players Guide and am very interested. I like the little town tokens at the end. And I love the map, I've taken a screen capture and might use it anyway. :D

I might spring for this, obviously it depends on how compatible it is with 4e. Such a shame they don't outsource a GSL comversion doc, I'd probably buy more stuff from them.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I've been looking forward to this Path for several months. I'm really thinking about subscribing to the AP just so I can get the pdfs. Glad to see hex maps still alive and kicking. :)

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
This would work really well with the Earthdawn setting as the characters emerge from their newly opened kaer into a world that no longer resembles the maps passed down over generations.

Windjammer

Adventurer
My gaming group has already volunteered me to run this AP. I'll be starting in a month or two. I'l be blogging about it (starting with today's entry) here on ENWorld if you want to follow along.

Thanks! Your blog entry contains a link to this very cool player handout. It's recommended you print it on vellum paper (fake parchment). If you don't have that, here's a scan of a print I did which you can utilize if you got no vellum paper but plenty of colour ink to spare. Enjoy!

PS. As a pure aside, that player handout gave me a strong vibe of the Mystara boxed sets TSR did in the mid 90s... I love them and treasure them.. blessed be my D&D shelves to contain them!

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Hey everyone!

I'm really pleased with how Kingmaker is turning out (I'm currently developing part 5 of the Adventure Path, where mass combat finally explodes all over the place), and I'm pleased as well with the strong reception the Player's Guide and the first adventure have received so far. I'm in particular excited (and a bit petrified) to see how the kingdom building rules pan out... AKA: I'm looking forward to all the feedback on threads like these. I'm certain Kingmaker will have some bugs and warts—hopefully not many, though, and once folks point them out we'll be able to address them in the Adventure Paths to follow.

And yeah... hexes rock.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Plus I'm interested to hear how much mapped terrain you usually give your players in a hex-crawling game when they start out. I only give mine a single hex on the world map which stretches 40 miles across (that's 0.5 % of what Paizo gives you). So let me know how much you give your players and why.
I tend to give 'em coasts, roads, 'n' rivers - if any exploration has been done then it is typically along the coasts and rivers, and if there is a road then you at least know the next town, and any inns en route.

I am also becoming fond of strip maps - a narrow map that goes from point A to point B, then maybe another map that goes from point B to Point C, etc.. (A very old style of mapping that is still used today. :) )

Profantasy covered Strip Maps in the 2009 Cartographer's Annual.
example14.jpg

Does a good job of covering what is likely to be known, while leaving unexplored areas completely blank.

The Auld Grump

Croesus

Adventurer
To the OP: Awesome post. Paizo should send you something as it definitely earned them a sale!

Ditto. I just signed up for a subscription, specifically for this AP. It's the first one I've ever been tempted to get. I've loved hexcrawling since Arneson's First Fantasy Campaign.

Thanks for the thread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads