• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo selling WoTC books

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Another reason for Paizo might be that they have a lot of subscribers who are sure to regularly visit their store. Why not buy this WotC book while I'm at it? Just deliver it with my next shipment, no needed to deal with a second shop and to check on even more bookings on my credit card.

And if you want to be the 800 lbs Gorilla of internet-ordering roleplaying game shops, you absolutely have to offer Wotc stuff. :lol:

Cadfan

First Post
Yes, they're competing against themselves. But they're not competing against themselves significantly, and certainly not enough to make it unprofitable. And balanced against that is the profit from the actual sales of the book. Remember, the lost profit created by publicizing a WotC product and possibly convincing someone to buy it instead of a Paizo product is offset by the profit generated by people who were already going to buy a WotC product and choose to do so at Paizo instead of another site.

Olive

Explorer
I listen to a lot of hardcore punk music and the biggest online retailer for hardcore is revhq.com. They're the online retailer for old, well established hardcore label Revelation Records. Only a fraction of the product on Rev HQ is from Revelation - in fact, looking at the front page the only Revelation content I can see is in the banners.

My point is that this is not uncommon.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
That IS weird. Because they have two different editions, Paizo and WotC actually have a blood feud against each other, with police arriving at the scene whenever employees of both are thought to be near each other. Things turn violent with the both of them quickly, and innocent

Actually no, they don't let stupid or petty things like edition wars drag them down. Most employees in both are bros with the other side.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Plus, despite what some on the net would have you believe ;), lots of people buy both. This way, if they're at Paizo getting PF stuff anyway, they might also pick up their D&D stuff there, rather than elsewhere. Which means Paizo makes even more sales.

It's just common sense for any company that has a storefront for more than their own products.
It's even better if it goes the other way around. If they are a multi-product game site and somebody goes to their site to purchase a D&D book, or the latest Munchkin set and ends up discovering Pathfinder or their GameMastery products, they benefit in a huge way.

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Our webstore carries products from just about every game company. Wizards makes good products, and there is no reason for us not to carry them.

After all, its not us vs them.. which reminds me of a funny story. Mearls and Thompson stopped by this year's Paizocon and we sat around, talking shop over a beer or two. More than one attendee saw us sitting together and gave us funny looks, as if they expected us to start fighting any second.

I think from now on, whenever we are in a room together, I am gonna have to start snapping my fingers and breaking out my switchblade.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads