• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo: Something is Coming

Systole

First Post
I don't want an MMORPG. I want an MORPG. Multiplayer online, minus the 'massively.'

I want to be able to run through a Kingslayer campaign with a dozen of my friends, like it was a PnP campaign. Playing with thousands of people online doesn't appeal to me. I did WoW; it got old. Playing with a bunch of friends -- especially friends in different time zones -- that appeals to me.

I think the best thing that Paizo can do is stuff the MMO and structure this like Pathfinder Society. I have a character, and I get together with a bunch of my friends to run through a module or two. I'd pay a premium for that.

Of course, you have the problem of online & registered (the current D3 model) versus old school LAN & unregistered (the old Starcraft model). I think online is the cash cow, but you have to offer incentives to make it work.

I'm sorry -- I'm drunk and exhausted and rambling. I can clarify if anyone cares.

KainG

Explorer
Sounds like it could be great.

I would also like to see them do a more single player or limited multi-player like the old Neverwinter game.

Maybe they could leverage the same technology during development?

I believe they would be open to that. Lisa Stevens said in the comments all they were waiting for is someone to bring a convincing proposal. It's just that Ryan Dancey came with the MMO idea first, and sold it to her.

This has a lot potential, and the gameplay style they announced so far hits all my wants for a fun MMO, so I am very hopeful. But at the same time, this is going to be a huge risk and investment for them, where many have failed before. I'll definitely be following progress on this one.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
LOL!!! Isn't this the same advice certain people gave about publishing Pathfinder the rpg? Yeah, that worked out exactly like they predicted it. :cool:

They had a strong team with years of experience in creating D&D content for this, and the dying 3.5 had just left a huge gap they could fill. I highly doubt that this is the same for Goblinworks on the MMO market right now.

Though i liked how you used "certain people". ;)

tylermalan

First Post
The description of what they want to accomplish sounds very similar to what Ultima Online was when it was first released. If they do the same type of thing with this Pathfinder game, I will play it in a heartbeat. I hate MMOs and I'll still play it, because UO is boss.

Imaro

Legend
They had a strong team with years of experience in creating D&D content for this, and the dying 3.5 had just left a huge gap they could fill. I highly doubt that this is the same for Goblinworks on the MMO market right now.

Though i liked how you used "certain people". ;)

Justify it now however you want, those facts were all on the table then and it still didn't stop alot of people from claiming that Pathfinder would flop and cause their company to go belly up... again, if they had listend to those people they wouldn't have succeeded.

Demoyn

Villager
The description of what they want to accomplish sounds very similar to what Ultima Online was when it was first released. If they do the same type of thing with this Pathfinder game, I will play it in a heartbeat. I hate MMOs and I'll still play it, because UO is boss.

Their description did remind me of UO. If it's anything like UO was originally (before trammel) then I know a LOT of people who will be playing this game on the day of release. There's been a huge gap in the market for an original UO style game.

tylermalan

First Post
Their description did remind me of UO. If it's anything like UO was originally (before trammel) then I know a LOT of people who will be playing this game on the day of release. There's been a huge gap in the market for an original UO style game.

Man, you're telling me. I don't even care if it looks like it was made in 1995. I would play it.

Remove ads