Paizo To Make Kingmaker Bestiary... For D&D 5E!

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

20190502-Kingmaker_500.jpg

The blog announcement says "[FONT=&amp]Finally, we'll add a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for 5E, developed in conjunction with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing, allowing players of the current edition of the world's oldest RPG the chance to experience the rich and detailed storylines that have made the Kingmaker Adventure Path a fan favorite for a decade."[/FONT]

It is being produced "with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing" and refers to "add-ons and unlocks" which "will be revealed as the campaign progresses". They're partnering with crowdfunding site Game On Tabletop.

They'll be revealing the details on Tuesday May 7th at noon Pacific time over at KingmakerCampaign.com.

Also in line is a Companion Guide for the PF2 Kingmaker campaign.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
$50 pdf certainly seems high for a kickstarter. $80 for the print version, when I'd expect to pay around $60 retail for the AP hardback.

Not to mention needing to pay more to get a second book to use it with PF1 or 5E, the two systems people would most likely want to use...

Zardnaar

Legend
Not that bad a price. If you bought the PDFs of Kingmaker individually it's more than $50 iirc.

I assume that includes the 5E conversion.

It's not hard to run Kingmaker 5E anyway. It lacks a lot of later Pathfinder splat material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not that bad a price. If you bought the PDFs of Kingmaker individually it's more than $50 iirc.

I assume that includes the 5E conversion.

It's not hard to run Kingmaker 5E anyway. It lacks a lot of later Pathfinder splat material.

No, it does not include any 5E material: the PDF version for PF2 is $50, the print is $80, and the 5E conversion material is a $35 add-on product in print and PDF (as is the $35 Pathfinder 1 conversion product). So $85, minimum, to get this AP in 5E or PF1.

Last edited by a moderator:

wakedown

Explorer
Too much friction on making this purchase...

Funny the first time I clicked on the site McAfee wouldn't let me go through (I imagine it's because kingmakercampaign.com isn't available via HTTPS and only HTTP). Once I added the exception I was a bit surprised it was $50 for a PDF. Usually a crowdfunded campaign gives you a sweet deal on the PDF (<$30) and including the hardcover would be in the $50-60 range.

Given it won't likely be available until mid-to-late 2020, I'd imagine this is something that ends up being discounted during Paizo's holiday sales. A lot of the APs end up very very inexpensive during that time (like $5 per installment). So given you'd be waiting for probably over a year anyway, I figure might as well wait until the 2020 holiday sales on this one.

(plus it's also not just simply on Kickstarter, so more friction too)

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I was on the fence about the 5e purchase but climbed off when I had to pay $85 for it and things I don’t really want. Paizo and Lisa “seem” to be following TSR and Lorraine Williams business model of producing too much, speculating in an MMO and failing like the card game TSR came up with and
failed. Hopefully with PF 2e they don’t flood the market and slow down the release schedule slightly.

dave2008

Legend
Per that Twitter thread your card is charged immediately upon purchase (which apparently is different from regular Kickstarter?)

Yes, with Kickstarter you are not charged until the campaign ends (regardless of when it is "funded"). Up until the end of the campaign you can remove or modify your pledge.

dave2008

Legend
Interestingly the Bestiary is not the only 5e conversion they are offering. There is also the "Forest Kingom" add-on, whatever that is.

I would be interested if I could just get the 5e content, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Remove ads

Remove ads