Paizo To Make Kingmaker Bestiary... For D&D 5E!

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

20190502-Kingmaker_500.jpg

The blog announcement says "[FONT=&amp]Finally, we'll add a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for 5E, developed in conjunction with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing, allowing players of the current edition of the world's oldest RPG the chance to experience the rich and detailed storylines that have made the Kingmaker Adventure Path a fan favorite for a decade."[/FONT]

It is being produced "with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing" and refers to "add-ons and unlocks" which "will be revealed as the campaign progresses". They're partnering with crowdfunding site Game On Tabletop.

They'll be revealing the details on Tuesday May 7th at noon Pacific time over at KingmakerCampaign.com.

Also in line is a Companion Guide for the PF2 Kingmaker campaign.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Ok, I get the effort needed to convert the bestiary to 5e would take manpower and time, but why on Earth are they charging for the Pathfinder 1e conversion? The original was written in 1e. Every stat block is already done. Most, of not all, of the new monsters are on d20pfsrd. I could create a "conversion" bestiary in a day just buy ripping the stat blocks out of the original PDFs and pasting them into pagemaker. $35 for copy-pasted stats is ridiculous.

Assuming pasting stat blocks into Pagemaker is all it would take is the ridiculous part here.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Ok, I get the effort needed to convert the bestiary to 5e would take manpower and time, but why on Earth are they charging for the Pathfinder 1e conversion? The original was written in 1e. Every stat block is already done. Most, of not all, of the new monsters are on d20pfsrd. I could create a "conversion" bestiary in a day just buy ripping the stat blocks out of the original PDFs and pasting them into pagemaker. $35 for copy-pasted stats is ridiculous.

Sure, if all they were doing were pasting them to an a Word document that you could download. But doing layout and having it look decent requires effort, then there's the whole bit about it being a hardback book which, if you expect that for free is ridiculous.

Remathilis

Legend
Sure, if all they were doing were pasting them to an a Word document that you could download. But doing layout and having it look decent requires effort, then there's the whole bit about it being a hardback book which, if you expect that for free is ridiculous.
My point is that they aren't creating any new material here. It doesn't even need the 3.5 -> PF1 conversion that Rise of the Runelords needed. I don't expect them to give away a dead tree product for nothing, but is reformatting already done work worth the same amount as converting to a semi-compatible system like 5e?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My point is that they aren't creating any new material here. It doesn't even need the 3.5 -> PF1 conversion that Rise of the Runelords needed. I don't expect them to give away a dead tree product for nothing, but is reformatting already done work worth the same amount as converting to a semi-compatible system like 5e?

Maybe you should re-read the initial pitch, because there is going to be at least some new material. Not exactly sure how much...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe you should re-read the initial pitch, because there is going to be at least some new material. Not exactly sure how much...

I think what he's saying is that a collection of the PF1 AP as an alternate option would be nice. Wouldn't be super useful for selling PF2, though.

TheSword

Legend
They are taking elements from Owlcats Kingmaker game which is frankly pretty amazing. Particularly part two which is the weakest of them but ends up really good and dramatic.

'track record'? This is Paizo's first crowd funding effort, the previous ones were by (admittedly endorsed) 3PP. I can't see this doing anything but going well. But it will be all in retail, so not a huge problem -apart from the coins type stuff. You'll pay more but that's normal.

As S'mon said, the Goblinworks Kickstarters were totally all Paizo. I'm just guessing they were set up under a separate company for business purposes, so that if it failed (as it has), it didn't take the rest of Paizo down with it.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases