Pathfinder 1E Paladin Alignments - More than just LG?

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
That all said I reckon the fallen paladin -> blaggard/redemption angles should be formalized as part of the Paladin class narrative. Not falling as in 4E or becoming utter suck in 1-3E are both evolutionary dead ends imo. Still, wait and see.
I like the 'Some other deity becomes your divine source, if you fall' solution. Maybe you have to do a little something to demonstrate loyalty to your new patron, and maybe your smite evil becomes smite good, but falling isn't an insurmountable problem.

Smite evil is certainly only appropriate for Good paladins, but which paladin abilities do you think demand a Lawful outlook?

Or, for a simpler solution which satisfies tradition: Rename it the Holy Warrior class, and call LG holy warriors paladins.

Much less time and energy required than homebrewing two new classes, and less money required than getting a copy of Unearthed Arcana!

That's my point too, I don't think that a LG paladin should (in my games) be restricted because he has to follow the laws of man and be LG only. His god/goddess gives him the power to smite evil or in the case of an anti-paladin to smite good, and not all good gods are LG the same as not all evil gods are CE. It's not the following or not following of the man-made laws that gives a paladin his powers/abilities/spells, it is his DEITY.

To me, as long as that paladin follows his deity's specific tenets/codes/dogma he is a paladin of that god. I won't rename them to holy warriors even though that's what they all are to me. Paladins are good holy warriors of their gods and Anti-Paladins are evil holy warriors of their gods. It really makes it much simpler to only remove the alignment restriction from these two pathfinder classes and allow the two classes to keep all of their same powers/abilities/spells. The only one I'd have to tweak is a Paladin that I'd allow which is LN (I think of this as a Judge Dredd type of character). The only books I'd have my players read up on (and we already own them) are the faiths of purity, faiths of balance, and faiths of corruption so that they can understand all of the tenets/codes of their chosen god/goddess.

As an aside, I did find this interesting book the other day by Green Ronin, based on the 3.5 rule-set. I might go ahead and purchase it as it does look interesting to me.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
To me, as long as that paladin follows his deity's specific tenets/codes/dogma he is a paladin of that god. I won't rename them to holy warriors even though that's what they all are to me. Paladins are good holy warriors of their gods and Anti-Paladins are evil holy warriors of their gods. It really makes it much simpler to only remove the alignment restriction from these two pathfinder classes and allow the two classes to keep all of their same powers/abilities/spells.
Heck, I allow paladins to be any alignment, even in 3.x. Non-Good paladins smite different alignments, and have access to differently-aligned spells, but those are simple tweaks to make.

If clerics get all that choice, so do paladins. :)

Remove ads