Paladin-Mount Feats

Artoomis

First Post
Hmmm...

Feats that let me use Ride skill checks in the place of Saves for the mount. Now that's worth considering.

Not too much unlike Mounted Combat, really.

I'll have to think on this one, - I like that a lot.

Edit: BTW, the feats I have are: Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Power Attack and Spirited Charge.

I think that Power Attack may have been a mistake, but I think I'm stuck with it now. In hindsight, I would have been better off making a new Mounted feat that helped in my mount's defense. Of course, at the time I had misread the paladin class and thought he was going to get the paladin's saves - whoops.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Mount gets better - get an extra hit die (or two) - more hit points, attack and save boinuses.

That's Empower Mount :) I already gave you that one.

Heighten Mount - For a number of hours equal to your Charisma bonus, the mount gains abilities as if you were a paladin of a higher level - say, a number of levels equal to your Charisma bonus. So a 7th level Paladin with an 18 charisma can, for four hours a day, convert his horse into the mount of an 11th level paladin - 4 extra hit dice, four points of AC, +2 Str, +2 Int, and gains the Command Horses ability.

Awaken Mount - like the druid spell Awaken, but affecting your magical beast instead of any animal. Mount gains speech, higher int, higher cha, and +2 HD... and can start gaining class levels. Give it a level in Paladin, and it can use it's ownDivine Grace. And Lay on Hooves if it gets hurt.
Suggestion - a Paladin's mount should probably have more than the 6 Cha of an ordinary warhorse.

This one also lets you do the skills and feats thing you were talking about, but there would have to be horrid prerequisites.

Raging Mount - don't make him angry. You wouldn't like him, when he's angry...

-Hyp.

Cabral

First Post
Actually, Awaken Mount gives me an idea ...

Invest Mount [Special]
Your Special Mount is invested with divine energy
Prerequisite: Special Mount Class ability, ability to cast 4th level divine spells, Leadership feat but no cohort
Benefit: The Special Mount is affected as per Awaken and gains the Celestial Template, but gains special abilities as the mount of a Paladin of one level lower. Current bonus hit dice are converted to class levels and the mount gains experience as a cohort instead of gaining further class bonus hit dice. The mount has the same alignment as the paladin's diety. The Special Mount is also the paladin's Cohort.

Artoomis

First Post
Cabral said:
Actually, Awaken Mount gives me an idea ...

Invest Mount [Special]
Prerequisite: Special Mount Class ability, ability to cast 4th level divine spells, Leadership feat but no cohort
Benefit: The Special Mount is affected as per Awaken and gains the Celestial Template, but gains special abilities as the mount of a Paladin of one level lower. Current bonus hit dice are converted to class levels and the mount gains experience as a cohort instead of gaining further class bonus hit dice. The mount has the same alignment as the paladin's diety. The Special Mount is also the paladin's Cohort.

Ohhhh - I like this one.

I'll have to get my DM to let me replace Power Attack with Leadership for this one to work - worth a shot, this is too cool not to at least try it.

Artoomis

First Post
Pretty cool - I played with this a bit, and came up with:

Invest Mount [Special]

Prerequisite: Special Mount Class ability, Mounted Combat, Leadership feat but no cohort

Benefit: The Special Mount is affected in a manner similar to the Awaken spell, but restricted to the benefits listed here, and gains the Celestial Template, but gains special abilities as the mount of a Paladin of one level lower (no bonus hit die or intelligence increases). Current bonus hit dice are converted to class levels and the mount gains experience as a cohort instead of gaining further class bonus hit dice. The mount has the same alignment as the paladin's diety (except it must be "Good"). The Special Mount is also the paladin's Cohort. The mount also gains the ability to speak one language (in addition to Celestial) that the paladin knows, an intelligence and charisma bonus of 2d6 (if using a point system, the intelligence and charisma gain 7 points).

But it still needs work, that's for sure.

Palskane

First Post
Sounds like what you should have done is talk your DM into letting you play a centaur. In fact, the MM has mention of centaur PC's at the end of the centaur description. Look at it this way, you are your own mount basically. How cool is that? Not to mention that other PC's could ride you....

Wait a minute... shouldn't that last sentence belong closer to the beginning of the thread?:D *joking*

I'm considering a centaur for my next PC for this very reason. Now, if only I can bribe my DM......;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
. Look at it this way, you are your own mount basically. How cool is that?[/B]

If you were DMing a Centaur Paladin, would you let him use his Mounted Combat feat to negate one hit against himself each round of combat?

-Hyp.

Cabral

First Post
I wouldn't, but I would let him have the Ride skill, Mounted Combat or whatever, instead he'd go for the usual on-foot feats though as far as weapons are concerned, he's mounted (ie, I think a lance does more damage when used mounted than unmounted) without any penalties for being "mounted" without the mounted combat feat/feat chain

Palskane

First Post
No, I'd not let him use the Ride skill to negate an attack against him. I was just pointing out an option to use for mount survival. :)

reapersaurus

First Post
Just wondering if you ever say the Horse Handbook I have hosted on my site.
http://65.105.234.197/jwarner/horse_handbook.htm

It goes under the assumption that a horse can advance.
It just occured to me that maybe these rules (though they probably wouldn't even be considered by YOUR DM) would help in the ridiculous situation you are in.
ALL of a paladin' feats going to mounted combat, and MULTIPLE feats required to make his mount surviveable in battle?

I really don't understand your DM's discrimination against paladins and their mounts.

Has he compared your combat effectiveness as a paladin against the others in your party?
Do you guys have ANYONE that's min-maxed? (Like a mage?)

Remove ads