D&D 5E Paladins-auras and find steed

Revan79

First Post
Hi all,
I know this has probably come up before but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

we have two paladins each with find steed and I was wondering if we both cast the same spell such as Crusader's mantle or Aura of vitality does it stack four times because of the mount ability and we are within each others auras?

Now chapter 10 of the PHB says no. But Sage advice i've seen says yes.

Which is the correct answer please?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Aura of vitality: that "stacks" fine between the two paladins (it doesn't give an ongoing effect, each character can apply the healing as they want on their turn). But it isn't eligible to share with the steeds because it targets other creatures.

Crusader's mantle: This won't stack because multiple instances of the same spell don't stack. And it targets other creatures.

Revan79

First Post
Aura of vitality: that "stacks" fine between the two paladins (it doesn't give an ongoing effect, each character can apply the healing as they want on their turn). But it isn't eligible to share with the steeds because it targets other creatures.

Crusader's mantle: This won't stack because multiple instances of the same spell don't stack. And it targets other creatures.

But as per the Find steed ability, any spell you cast that has a range of SELF that you cast while mounted upon your steed also applied to your mount. Therefore, the steed would also have it's own Aura of Vitality that it could use a bonus action on it's turn to heal someone as can you?

Crusader's Mantle: If also cast on you and your steed I would assume both you and your steed have it? But why are doesn't this effect stack like Aura of Vitality?

Is it because CM is a static ability where as AoV is an activated one? is that the distinction?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Yeah I have gone over it all several times and I have figured it out. Thanks

The point being that having a range of self is not the same as targeting only yourself. Mostly comes up in regards to things like auras (Spirit Guardians being a nice example), but see also spells like Lightning Bolt, Burning Hands, or Thunderwave.

Remove ads