Paladin's Laying on Hands Class Ability Enhancement

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I have been contemplating some feats to enhance a Paladins Lay On Hands ability. Thes are just the rough draft. Please comment on the mechanics, the feat name (changes) and any praise or gripe you may have.

Great Healer
Prereq - Hands of a Healer
Benefit - Your charisma score is treated as if it is four points higher for the purpose of determining how many hit points you can heal per day.

Faith Healing
Benefit - When healing an individual that matches your alignmen and/or shares your same patron deity every point spent on healing them is doubled. (spending 6 hp of healing to cure 12).

Vow of Humility
Prereq - Sacred Vow
Benefit - You can heal 1.5 times your maximum amount of healing per day.

Last edited:

Rawhide

First Post
I don't know about exact game balance, but conceptually those are very cool.

There's a Pyramid article called Class Feats, or something like that, that does class-specific feats for all the core D&D classes. Since subscribing gets you access to every article Pyramid or d20 Weekly has ever done, I found it to be worht the price of a ne year subscription just for the archives. I doubt I'll renew, but I have lots and lots of articles to draw from for the cost of a single sourcebook.

Ferret

Explorer
They look vey nice, and useful; well done. Have you got any ideas for something more creative? Chanelling them into spells, as power ups for example? Every five LoH points, you gain one die to a heal spell?

Dimwhit

Explorer
Considering how few feats Paladins get, I can't see any argument that they're too powerful. I think they're a cool idea.

Random Hero

First Post
Nice Job!

These feats certainly expand upon the Paladin's limited healing ability to make them an effective 2nd string healer. Isn't "faith healing" an ability of the hierophant or something???
--I'm not sure...

Anyway, I think that if a group needs a more effective 2nd string healer, a paladin with these feats could certainly do the trick... Nice Job!

Hodgie

First Post
Question on the third feat, Vow of Humility-- does that effectively increase your max Lay on Hands by 1.5? If so that may become too powerful ad mid to higher levels. A single feat to gain 50+ points of healing...

Otherwise they look very cool and I'd allow them.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
As per Vow of Humility, the paladin first needs to gain the feat Sacred Vow to qualify for empowered (as per the metamagic feat name) healing. Vow of Humility is like adding empowered to a clerics spell of cure light wounds. I think the Sacred Vow if a good trade off for gaining extra points of healing.

hmm, I'm at odds with the idea that it is equal to, as all empowered spells are one slot level higher. However, i am in no way against the idea of increasing the healing power of a paladin's lay on hands with the humility feat. I'm a level 10 cleric with 122 health, and half of that is d6's due to radiant servant (complete divine). So being able to give an extra +50 health spread over a party (mine is 7-9 strong party), I'd be grateful he chose a healing feat.

For those interested in health, dwarf cleric with amulet of heath (+4), and improved toughness will certainly beef up a characters health.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Frukathka said:
Great Healer
Prereq - Hands of a Healer
Benefit - Your charisma score is treated as if it is four points higher for the purpose of determining how many hit points you can heal per day.

Lay on Hands does damage to undead too, doesn't it? I could imagine a 10th level paladin with 18 Cha, cloak of charisma +4 and this feat hitting a vampire with his touch attack and doing 120 damage - would you be OK with that in your campaign?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Plane Sailing said:
Lay on Hands does damage to undead too, doesn't it? I could imagine a 10th level paladin with 18 Cha, cloak of charisma +4 and this feat hitting a vampire with his touch attack and doing 120 damage - would you be OK with that in your campaign?
No, I would not. Maybe the wording isn't accurate enough, but the feat is only meant to affect a Paladin's ability to heal wouds, not to damage undead.

Remove ads