D&D 5E Paladin's Steed: Unicorn help

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The game I'm running just hit 8th level. The paladin has a in-character connection to unicorns that has been established in play.

He's just reading the Find Steed (2nd level) and asked for a Unicorn. I pointed out how the 4th level version, Find Greater Steed, has CR 2 options as the highest listed, while the Unicorn was CR 5. Also we have a Moon Druid with the party and they can only do CR 2 forms and it's pretty overshadowing to another player.

The player is understanding but bummed, but the rest of the players (except the Moon Druid's player has been silent) think it would be really cool for the unicorn connection to come into play, especially it ties into things from last session.

I am trying to Rule of Cool work out what to do, but cutting down the Unicorn stat block to not be overshadowing really takes away most of what makes it a unicorn. Legendary actions would have to go (esp. the Shimmering Shield, the paladin is AC focused) and the casting.

I don't mind giving "a real unicorn" not from Find Steed, as long as I can get it down to CR 2ish. But when I chop out enough it doesn't feel unicorn-y nor have survivability that a living mount would need. If I do Find Steed it's actually a spirit and I can justify it being a bit different.

I don't want a unicorn NPC with their own agenda to offset the high CR, there are already NPCs that the party has traveling with them and I'd prefer to keep things manageable.

Any suggestions?

Stormonu

Legend
Rather than work from Unicorn down, it would probably be easier to work from Horse up. Maybe start with a warhorse and tweak it up with the player’s input so it feels unicorn-y to them. It’s already going to have an Int of 6 and share spells (could be fluffed as the unicorn casting the spells itself). Perhaps the unicorn’s horn can tap into the paladin’s Lay on Hands ability and maybe use the paladin’s smite through its horn attack (using the paladin’s spell slots).

Oofta

Legend
I think Find Steed is kind of pointless about 30 seconds after the paladin can cast it. Well, a level or two anyway. At CR 8, the steed becomes inconsequential. By the time you get Find Greater Steed that CR2 creature will be baggage.

So what I do is give the steed the same number of HD as the paladin as well as the same proficiency bonus. Since they don't get extra attacks or additional damage, it doesn't really overbalance things much just makes them a useful addition to the party. I've been using this for all of my campaign and it doesn't seem to affect balance much.

A unicorn is about the same as far as HD but then it gets it's spell capability. You could either remove that or just keep it if the entire group is on board with it. Run it as a sidekick for the party which supports the paladin but has it's own personality and, occasionally, it's own goals.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Remember that Find Steed does not summon an actual creature, but the spirit of one. So it might summon the spirit of a unicorn, but limited by the form that the summon can take. Then when the Paladin has Find Greater Steed, the spirit can take on a more powerful form. And maybe later the paladin will find a way to summon a mount that is actually equal to a Unicorn.

So just use the Warhorse stat and give it a small Unicorn coloration, change the trampling charge by the charge and add a misty step once per day with the rider, or something of the kind.

For Find Greater Steed, use the rhino, add the above and maybe spell resistance, or something of the kind.

And finally, add a 5th level spell which is the same as "Find Greater Steed" but called "Find Heavenly Steed", which allows him to summon a spirit with the powers of a Unicorn. Honestly, at that level, a CR5 on the field of battle will not amount to much, but it will look cool.

Stormonu

Legend
As an aside, I hate the Find Steed spell and abhor the Greater Steed spell. The Ranger isn’t using up a spell slot to get his companion nor is the Druid giving up spell slots to Wildshape. I’d rather that the paladin just have a squire or mount as a class feature (with bonus action/reaction uses of the Help action if they don’t want someone tagging along). And it be an ability that grows with them as they level, automatically.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
First, go with a summoned spirit unicorn rather than a "real" one. That limits its effects on the game to just 10 minutes when the spell is cast rather than all day.

Second, limit the unicorn to the "controlled" option for mounted combat. If it only gets dodge, dash, and disengage actions it can't really be overpowered.

Third, allow the unicorn to function as "controlled" or "independent," per mounted combat rules, if summoned with the 4th level Find Greater Steed. By 14th level, having a unicorn is a non-issue.

Fourth, consider allowing the PC to gain an actual unicorn mount somewhere between 8th and 12th level. They aren't really that big a deal (outside the teleport, but that's only 3 people.) I'd still strip off legendary actions, but none of them are exactly game breaking... maybe only usable in their home forest.

aco175

Legend
Drizzt to the rescue.
1645552378052.png

You create an item the boosts his spell and ties the spell to a certain unicorn. I also like @Stormonu idea about boosting the paladin abilities. You could also have the unicorn have abilities on its own that it uses like a NPC. Maybe 1/rest heal with its horn for 2d8hp.

Quickleaf

Legend
@Blue Couldn't you just homebrew a CR 1/2 version of a unicorn and call it a "young unicorn" that can be conjured with the 2nd level find steed spell?

And then if your party ever hits 13th level when the paladin gets 4th level spell slots, you could make a CR 2 version of that unicorn and call it an "adolescent unicorn" that can be conjured with find greater familiar?

Oofta

Legend
@Blue Couldn't you just homebrew a CR 1/2 version of a unicorn and call it a "young unicorn" that can be conjured with the 2nd level find steed spell?

And then if your party ever hits 13th level when the paladin gets 4th level spell slots, you could make a CR 2 version of that unicorn and call it an "adolescent unicorn" that can be conjured with find greater familiar?

Hmm, maybe you could call it Uni?
images (13).jpg

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Here are a couple of the way I might handle this:

1) Find a creature of the appropriate CR that is "close" in theme to a unicorn, and just reskin it as a unicorn. Just because it has the statblock of a warhorse doesn't mean you can imagine it as a unicorn. Maybe even replace it's hoof attacks with a horn attack.

2) Use a follower per Matt Colville's Strongholds and Followers. You can either use an existing one and reskin it, or create a new one.

3) Use Matt Colville's rules for a pet as presented in his new Beastheart class. You can reskin an existing pet, or create a new one using the structure presented in the book.

4) Use/adapt one of the stat blocks from the conjuration options from the recent Summon X spells released by WotC.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases