• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Palladium and other fantasy RPGs...

Voadam

Legend
JeffB,

By horrible d6 system I meant horribly complicated to initially get the hang of it as written. It may do a good job of task resolution in actual practice but it seemed horribly complex to figure out. I always had problems with shadowrun mechanics as well. I never tried to use the Earthdawn rules in actual play, I just used the material for ideas to add to my existing D&D games.

JeffB

Legend
Voadam said:
By horrible d6 system I meant horribly complicated to initially get the hang of it as written.

I personally wouldn't say horribly complicated, but I agree: definitely not as easy as rolling a D20 or % dice :)

The 1st edition hardcover and original softover book were not nearly as clear as they could have been, but the 2cnd printings, and especially the 2cnd Edition game from LRgames, made it much easier for a new player/GM to pick up. Kinda like AoO in 3E: complicated to figure out as written at first, but pretty easy to in actual play with a few sessions under the belt.

It took the players and I a couple of sessions to get used to it, thankfully the character record sheets provided a "Step" table as did the GM screen. It actually became very easy to use in short order.

And yes, Earthdawn is a goldmine of ideas for ANY system! The boxed supplements were nearly on par w/ the early RQ boxed sets!

Particle_Man

Explorer
An interesting fact about Ars Magica:

You don't JUST play mages. You also play Companions (sort of like cohorts, but can be of any "class"/profession you can imagine) and
everyone collectively plays Trogs (sort of like followers -- all the lowly fighters, servants, etc. that do the grunt work). You sort of switch out from one to the other, and back, as the campaign progresses.

And the creatures are based upon the medieval beliefs about those creatures, which is cool. The major players seem to be a) Various Magical Houses, b) The Church, c) Nobles, d) Faerie Kingdoms, e) Demons (as in fallen angels), and f) Dragons (Do NOT mess with these guys; they are not D&D style dragons but "eat you up and spit out the bones, even if you are the right hand of God" style dragons).

And you can spend a LONG time researching spells as a mage (which gives you an excuse to play a Companion for a while).

Anyhow, if you like medieval europe, this will give you roleplaying options galore.

paulewaug

earthdawn

hey there

I had some questions about Earthdawn
besides making an excellent resource for ideas, how is the system itself?!

Is it a fun system?
Earthdawn dd not use a D6 system. It used a system of "steps" where each step (which generally was a combo of skill ranks plus ability score modifiers) yielded a certain die combination, e.g. :
So is there a target number then? would guess so
How does combat run?

I am always ready to check out a new system, D&D is great for playing D&D (kick in the door hack-n-slash) and granted you Can do other stuff with the d20 system, but there are lots of other systems out there.

I want start on "how bad Paladuim FRP is" (I feel similar to Tsyr about it) actually I think the older version is possible better than the newer version in that IIRC the different classes didn't have easy access to other classes abilities. Although the combat syle made armor pretty useless IMHO pretty quick, but that has mostly been gone over pretty well.

I am just getting into Savage Worlds and so far it is a lot of fun and seems to have a promissing future.
It is expanding in a similar way to the d20 system. (Not so much like D&D as much as being like "d20")
In fact I am planning on using SW to run the Witchfire Trilogy and the Freeport Trilogy (& Adventures in Freeport.)
The game provides the experience awards for resolving the problem, fulfilling the mission, etc. rather than for everything you kill, SO it doesn't encourage you to "Diablo your way through" the way D&D does. (And I do enjoy kick in the door most of the time, it is just nice to play something else sometimes.)

So anyhow...
Tell me more about Earthdawn?

JeffB

Legend
Earthdawn..where to start? excuse me if I ramble

The setting is what makes the game so cool and unique, and the mechanics revolve around the setting.

Basically hundreds of years ago, the civilized world readied for the approaching doom of demons from Astral space called “Horrors”. These Horrors would ravage the world killing and destroying everything in sight (feeding off the magical auras of all living things. These guys are BAD! No two are alike..they are somewhat Chthulu-esque and most are EXTREMELY powerful).

In preparation for this most of Barsaive (major continent of the world) moved underground in Citadels or “Kaers” and magically sealed themselves away for hundreds of years. Some remained safe, many were breached by horrors and destroyed from within.

As the game starts, The Kaers and citadels are re-opening their doors and the inhabitants are coming to the surface world after determining that most of “The Scourge” (coming of the Horrors) is over. There are still some left of course, but the world is not overrun with them. Many Kaers and Citadels were penetrated by horrors, and many still have not opened up, fearing to do so. The world is totally different in that much of the landscape has been reshaped/blasted to bits.

The Theran Empire (think Roman Empire..Mega Slavers, Highly Magical Society) which was the reigning Govt. before the Scourge now wants to reclaim all of Barsaive, but they were about 40 years(IIRC) too late “opening up” and the Dwarven Kingdom of Throal and it’s allies have had time to prepare and oppose the Therans re-claiming what was once theirs. There is room for everything here: A “realistic” reason for having “dungeons” full of monsters all over the place, plenty of politics and intrigue, new areas and lost civilizations to explore, empires to make or break. One of my fave things is the City of Parlainth. This was a Theran city (one of the most beautiful and largest)that instead of going underground, transported itself to another plane through great magics during the Scourge, and later would return when it was safe to do so. Part of the ritual was to erase the memory of the city from all of Barsaives population (so that no-one could possibly give up it’s location to the Horrors). Long story short, The Horrors found out about Parlainth and destroyed it while in “hiding” and now it has re-appeared on Barsaive (and of course no-body knows/remembers anything about it). The whole (ruined) city is detailed in a boxed set that is a must-buy IMO.

I could go on…The typical names of fantasy races are all there: Dwarves, Elves, Orks, Trolls, plus a few new races, Obsidimen (Humanoids with large rock like bodies) T’Skrrang (Lizard-men) and Windlings (think of small skinny hobbits/kender w/ wings). But most of the races have twists to them in whole or part.

The game is High Magic/Fantasy. PC’s all have some magical feats (talents) that support their “class abilities” (fighters have magical talents that aid them in fighting, etc) And of course there are spellcasters. It has a “mythological feel” to it, but is definitely Swords & Sorcery. PC’s are meant to be Heroes and gain “legend” (experience), though they do not have to. Each class (it is a class and level system) has a ritual they perform daily to help power their abilities. These rituals often involve graceful gestures, etc. (think of something like a sword-dance). Those beings who are Horror-marked (Influenced by/under the control of remaining Horrors) cannot perform their rituals with grace and passion, and can be caught this way. The game has a definite unique style.

Spells are “weaved” from “threads” of magical power. It usually takes 2 or more successful thread-weaving checks to cast a spell, but the results are worth it: spells are very powerful (they are also very different and more “flavorful” than most RPG spells). The magic system can be a bit hard to "get" at first (mostly due to terminology), but if you stick with the basics it comes along quickly.

Combat is fairly simple: a bit easier than 3E in some ways, a bit more difficult in some others. Not an AC system though. If you hit, you still have to get through armor. It is less tactical than 3E.

Possibly the coolest part are the magic items. Most are minor artifacts and unique. This is not a game where folks will be dropping or selling Magic items like D&D once they find something better. Most of these items have a rich history and are items of Legend & Myth. Over time a user can attune to them by searching out the item's history (e.g. like going to where it was forged). As the user grows more attuned to the item in question more powers are revealed, and/or the currently known powers increase in ability.

And yes, the game uses a Target number (DC in D20) system.

I suggest you check out www.lrgames.com for the company that now publishes it. The book is worth $30 alone for the hooks/idea/coolness/style factor. Also though out of print, many of the older boxed sets are still pretty easy to find (ebay or OOP dealers), and prices are not outrageous like some OOP games. I personally did not start playing until right about the time the game was cancelled by FASA. If interested I highly suggest the 2nd Edition rulebook from LR games. The art is not quite as good as the original books, but many of the games concepts have been tweaked and properly explained to make things much easier to grasp. the 2E rulebook and procuring the Barsaive boxed ste should keep you buys for a couple of years (though the boxed set is not absolutely neccessary, there is quite a bit of setting info in the book you can use and expand upon)

There used to be a "quickstart" version of the rules online (legal), perhaps a google search would find it. also the LRgames homepage has tons of links to some great ED sites that have new classes, magic items, etc. Most are not updated anymore, but they are some of the best RPG fan-sites I have ever experienced content-wise (and looks in some cases).

Hope that helps some.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads