Pandemic - collaborative boardgame

Lindeloef

First Post
yeah it is an awesome game and one of my favourites of all time (up there with Hero Quest). I hadn't had the experiance yet that [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION] had, with one guy basically playing the game alone. But I think it comes down to your playing group.

The game can be hard as hell, but we had fun even if we lost.

Jhaelen

First Post
Pandemic is a great game (and Forbidden Island likewise) with great mechanics and play, but it ultimately is a solo puzzle game. It's just too easy for one player who is better at analysing the situation than the others to dominate and just tell people what to do.
I like playing Pandemic, but this can definitely become a problem.
Alternatively, Arkham Horror just makes the range of options so big (and the results so random) that your decisions aren't as key as Pandemic or Space Alert. (Though good strategy does help).
And that's my favorite (fully) cooperative boardgame, right there! It has its own problems, though: The theme doesn't necessarily appeal to (casual) gamers and play time is long. It can also be a lot more frustrating than Pandemic, especially, if you're new to the game. It takes quite a few games to get a good grasp on the rules and basic strategy. But after that initial phase it's just great and no two games are alike (particularly once you start introducing one or more of the many expansions). I also consider it a great gateway into roleplaying games. Every investigator comes with a personal background and when using the Innsmouth expansion, there's an actual benefit to behaving 'in-character'.

Remove ads