Parallel Lines

Sorren

First Post
Sorren was a bit taken aback by the dwarf's reaction. He respectfully returned the bow, and clapped him on the shoulder. I meant it in jest friend, the post is yours. I'll take the passage below deck. And I appreciate your gesture, and though I think it probably unnecessary, unity and teamwork are always an asset.

He glanced over at his post, not more than a few yards away. No point in sitting over there by myself, he said as he squatted down against the wall beside Massif. I should be able to get there quick, and I think a surprise attack unlikely. Short of teleportation or powerful invisibility magic, we should be able to see anyone approaching.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Upon reaching the deck, Systar takes in the expanse of sky, and peers across the Aundair landscape. He lets out a yawp that is picked up and carried away by the winds. He stands there a few moments, just feeling the wind in his face when he hears Massif calling his name.

Systar looks up and, as if seeing the dwarfs high perch for the first time, rushes up the stairs to the highest point he can reach without having to climb anything. He takes in the new and improved view, strings his bow and pulls an arrow from his quiver, taking a bead on one of the very strange birds as if to shoot. After taking a look at the birds down the shaft of his bow, he starts aiming at targets on the ground, buildings and carts. Systar is careful never to fire a shot.

'This is amazing! I feel as if I could pierce the heart of any who walks the land beneath us! Archers deserve the skys...thank you Massif for this gift!'

Following this proclomation, Systar lets out another whoop of joy and enjoys the wind in his hair, and the sight of the world down the shaft of an arrow.

Eluvan

First Post
Zweischneid said:
'By the Sword of Dorn, what kind of strange birds are those?'

One of the crewmen looks over at your explanation, peering at the flock with one hand raised to shield his eyes from the sun. After a few moments he shrugs. 'Damned if I know.' He turns back to his work, not seeming overly concerned. It may be your imagination but it seems rather as though the birds have veered a little closer to the ship while you have been watching them, their harsh cries a little louder now.

Last edited:

Zweischneid

First Post
'Damned if I know.' He turns back to his work, not seeming overly concerned.

'Either way, those bird cries give me the shivers.' Celebren responds, straining to get a better look at the birds.

Frowning he asks 'Is there possibly a spyglass on board this ship somewhere? I'd like to get a closer look at them if possible.'

Hardly waiting for an answer this time, Celebren scans the ship, looking for someone on the lookout and quickly noting the elven storyteller at his raised position. Whatever the crewmans answer will be, Celebren falls into a quick trot across the deck, trying to reach the mercenaryguards amidships.

((roughly how many birds we're talking about?))

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
The crewman shrugs again, seeming uninterested, but he obliges. 'Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dresda's got one. Go knock on her cabin door if you want.' He walks unconcernedly away to see to some other task as Celebren runs off.

The flock is certainly moving closer now, the harsh cries of the birds sounding ever louder. Seeing Celebren's agitation, Vel doesn't take long to catch on and get excited about this new point of interest. 'Wow... those are some odd birds. Never seen anything like them before, and I've been round most corners of Khorvaire.' A wicked grin spreads across his face as he leans across to Sorren, the closest person to him, and speaks in a hushed, mock-frightened voice, 'Y'know, I hear tell that the evil things that live in Khyber sometimes use flocks of birds as their spies. Send them out over the land to dredge up information on their enemies...' He straightens up with a laugh after leaving a dramatic pause. 'Course, you already knew that - and you probably had the sense to know it's not true, too. Every old woman from here to Zilargo tells their kids that to stop them from running off too far into the woods.'

((we're talking about a full flock. You couldn't possibly count how many, but certainly an awful lot, a few hundred.)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Having heard Celebren's request for a spyglass, the crewman's reponse to check with the Captain, and finally Vel's little tale about the threat of Khyber, Massif decides that as he is already standing in front of the Captain's quarters, he might as well help out. He leans back and delivers a couple raps on the wooden door, just as Celebren runs up.

'Excuse me, Captain? Got a spyglass handy? Got some interesting wildlife we'd like to check out.'

Massif then gives a shrug to Sorren and Vel standing next to him, as he awaits the Captain's response.

Zweischneid

First Post
'Excuse me, Captain? Got a spyglass handy? Got some interesting wildlife we'd like to check out.'

'My thoughts exactly' Celebren gasps, as he skips over a couble steps and ropes, sliding to a stop next to the gathered group.

Turning back to see how much more distance the birds have closed, he inquires'
Has anyone here ever seen or heard of something similar? The crewman sure don't know what they are, and they don't sound all to friendly to me*.'

With a thoughtful expression he adds.
'Maybe we should ask the captain to get everyone but the most crucial people below deck? Just.. uh.. you know, just in case I mean.'

Glancing back towards the captains door, the young half-elf blushes deep red, hoping he hasn't overstepped his place with the last suggestions.

[edit]
((Would the birdcrys be disturbing enough to worry about some sort of spooky, mystical effect? I doubt Celebren would come to such a conclusion without some big hint))

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
The door opens inwards and the woman you saw below decks when you first came on board steps out, looking rather bemused. She has a spyglass in her hand and makes to pass it to Massif, opening her mouth to say something at the same time, when she notices the birds and her eyes widen in fear. 'Oh, Gods.' She steps rapidly past the deck and cries out 'All hands below decks! Seal the hatches after you!' The crewmen seem surprised and alarmed, but they obey quite quickly and make for the hatch, obviously trusting their captain's judgement. Turning back to the group, Dresda speaks in a more controlled voice, though obviously still worried and raising her voice to reach those not clustered around that area. 'Ready your weapons. Does anybody have fire? These things aren't easy to drive off without it.'

The birds are flocking ever closer, and you can start to pick out now what they look like individually. They are something like a crow, though perhaps a little smaller and with a longer neck. Their beaks are slightly hooked, and they have a patch of lighter feathers on their undersides.

((Zweischneid, there's no evidence of a magical effect from the birds cries - they are simply loud and unpleasant.))

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Systar, with his bow already out and an arrow already knocked immediately turns his attention to the flock and looses an arrow at the first bird he can clearly distinguish.

'I am going to run out of arrows before we run out of birds! What options do we have?'

((Attack Roll 13+3=16 (assuming farther than 30 ft.);Damage 5+0=5))

Systar reaches back into his arrow bag for another arrow until another option presents itself.

Zweischneid

First Post
'Ready your weapons. Does anybody have fire? These things aren't easy to drive off without it.'

Feeling his own premonition confirmed by the Captains reaction and alarm, Celebren turns again to search the ship for anything of use. Frowning he responds.
'Your Vessel is - as always - surrounded by the blazing ring of fiery flames. If those birds are not scared away by that roaring element, no fire we could light would likely change their mind I think.'

Turning back to the Captain the young Monk inquires.
'But you seem to be familiar with those beasts Mylady. Even faced them before by the sound of it. What kind of beast are we facing here? Maybe, there are other options availible to us if we know more about this flock.'

Last edited:

Remove ads