Parallel Lines

Eluvan

First Post
'The birds are not completely without sense. They can easily fly around the ring of fire. But a lit torch presents an obstacle much harder for them to bypass if it being swung into the midst of them,' Dresda says patiently, 'Though we may have the ring to thank for keeping them at a distance thus far. As for their nature - they are but birds, and should be treated as such. But even birds are dangerous in such numbers. I'll explain more at a more opportune moment; that's all you need to know to fight the things.'

With that she darts back inside the cabin, though she leaves the door open and is presumably therefore retrieving something rather than hiding.

Systar's arrow streaks swiftly into the flock and finds a mark, catching one of the birds in the neck. As it drops out of the sky, the effect on the flock is dramatic and immediate as they wheel round and descend on the ship in earnest, the entire flock making for Systar's position as a body.

((Let's have initiative please. The flock is currently 20ft. away from the ship, slightly towards the stern end of the centre and about 5ft. above the level of the raised stern, which is in turn about 10ft. above the regular deck. By the looks of how fast they just moved, they could now easily reach any part of the ship they want to in a round, although at the moment they are bearing down on Systar. ))

Zweischneid

First Post
'The birds are not completely without sense. They can easily fly around the ring of fire. But a lit torch presents an obstacle much harder for them to bypass if it being swung into the midst of them,'

'Alright. I guess you're right.' Celebren admits. 'Lets find something to drive them away with than.'

((Initiative d20(4) + 2 = 6))

Stunned momentarily by the birds vicious reaction, Celebren readies a pair of polished Shuriken between his right hand fingers and searches the surrounding deck for anything that might be used to light a fire.

((Search d20(12) + 2 = 14 - preferably some oil and rags if no torch is available))

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
'I guess standing in front of this door isn't going to do us much good, will it?' remarks Massif. With a nod to Sorren and Vel, he hoists his waraxe which he already had unsheathed, and makes for the staircase leading back up to where Systar is standing.

((Initiative [3] + 2 = 5))

+++++

OOC: On his turn, Massif will do a double move (60 ft.) to and up the staircase to join Systar up on stern. Since his axe is already out, he will then ready his action the next round to swing against the bird swarm if/when they swoop down upon Systar and him.

Last edited:

Sorren

First Post
((OOC: My apologies all, I forgot to mention that I don't normally post on the weekends. I hope this isn't a problem. In fact, I didn't even have net access this weekend.))

Sorren seemingly tring to look at all of the birds at once, unbuckled his sword and slid it from his back. It would be hard trying to swat the creatures out of the air, but he didn't see any other choice.

He backed up with his back against the wall, and assumed a defensive stance.

Initiative [14] + 0 = 14
Readied action to attack the first hostile creature within reach.

He watched as Systar loosed the arrow. When the birds turned on him, Sorren called out: Systar! Get down quickly! The birds themselves may not be too much of a threat, but if they could knock the elf from his perch, the fall could be deadly.

He looked to Massif and then to the others. I doubt we'll have to worry about protecting the below decks. They were just birds after all, they couldn't open the doors. Let's just see how many we can kill!

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
'Excellent! I have lured the birds into our ingenious trap! Now would be an excellent to develop an ingenious trap! Apparently the ring of fire around this ship doesn't discourage them as much as I'd hoped.'

((Init 15+3=18))

Systar fires off one more arrow at a lead bird ((12+3=15, damage 2+0=2))
and moves toward Massif, hoping his presence will discourage as many birds as possible.

'Any ideas?'

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Massif holds the waraxe in his right hand as he keeps a squinting eye on the flock of birds. The commotion down below of all the crewmen going below decks and sealing off all the doors, windows, and hatchways does nothing to disturb the dwarf's concentration.

ShaggySpellsword said:
'Any ideas?'

He steals a quick glance at the elf who has moved next to him, another arrow nocked and ready to fly.

'Nay, I'm afraid not. I think we'll all just have to keep swatting them like so many flies. I only hope we aren't "bitten" by them, as they say. Wish I recognized what kind of birds they were...'

And he tightens his grip on his weapons handle, his action readied to swing should the birds swoop in close.

Last edited:

Badger

First Post
ooc: Sorry for being tardy, but am fighting major sinus infection in RL, and to be honest it is winning.

Digger watched as the first arrow was launched at the flock of birds that surrounded them and stared as they turned as one unit and flew towards those who were still on the deck.

Unprovoked insanity...why could they just not let the birds alone?

Bringing his crossbow up, Digger waited until he could spot a bird that was too close to one of his new companions before letting his quarrel fly.

ooc: Rolled a 13 for init.

Eluvan

First Post
((Initiative Order:
Systar (18)
Sorren (14)
Digger (13)
Dresda (11)
Celebren (6)
Birds (6)
Massif (5)))

You all just have time to see Vel dart below decks with the crewmen before Systar looses another arrow, which connects as the birds group together and manages to disturb the flock quite considerably as it shoots unerringly into the middle of them and plucks one out of the sky. As the birds regroup and fly en masse towards Systar, squawking horribly, Dresda reappears, a lit torch in her hand. She throws another to Celebren, seeing him searching the deck fruitlessly. As the birds are about to fall upon Systar, Digger takes aim and fires a quarrel from his crossbow into their midst.

((I need an attack roll from you Badger. Sorren, if you want we can assume that you've delayed thus far. Having made up his mind to swing at the enarest enemy, I see no reason why your character would then just stand there when nothing comes near him. The birds are acting as one, descending onto Systar as a flock. If any of them come near you, it will be after they've ripped him and anyone else in their way to shreds. Defcon, the birds are just about on you so let's have an attack roll please.))

Zweischneid

First Post
As soon as Dresda throws Celebren the flaming torch, the young Khoravar is on the move snatching the makeshift weapon from mid-air 2 strides later with his fighting hand.
Without missing a stride the agile monk skips and springs up towards the flock, swinging across a barrier and landing in a low crouch next Systar, ready to swat the birds with the sizzling torch.

'Lets hope they do fear the flames.' he gasps.

((Not sure if that move would work out the way I described, but I got some nice rolls incase it does:
Tumble d20(20)+3= 23 (nice one isn't it?) / Jump d20(14)+2= 16))

Last edited:

Remove ads