• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paralyzed, then dropped below 0 hp

Vegepygmy

First Post
When I drop below 0 hp and am subsequently revived , does the paralysis go away? In other words, does the Disabled or Dying condition nullify the Paralyzed condition when I am healed in the next couple of rounds?
In 3.5, no.

Random Axe said:
A specific reference to a section or page would be very useful.
There is no specific rule that says you don't lose the paralyzed condition after you drop below 0 hit points and are subsequently healed...just as there is no specific rule that says you don't gain 1,000 XP after you drop below 0 hit points and are subsequently healed. The onus is on the person claiming that either of those things does happen to cite the rule that says so.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
System is 3.5, again my apologies, I thought I had gone into the Legacy Discussion section before posting the thread.

Thanks for the clarification. I've done the same thing when I've had more than one tab or window open.

As said above, dropping below 0 hp doesn't seem to negate other conditions. I think if you actually died (-11 hp?), though, it would probably do the trick since you cease being a character/creature and technically become an object (dead body) against which paraylization has no effect.

TheOmnibusDriver

First Post
Thanks for the clarification. I've done the same thing when I've had more than one tab or window open.

As said above, dropping below 0 hp doesn't seem to negate other conditions. I think if you actually died (-11 hp?), though, it would probably do the trick since you cease being a character/creature and technically become an object (dead body) against which paraylization has no effect.
I agree. Utilizing rules of common sense, if it wouldn't work against a zombie, it certainly won't work against a corpse. So, mind-affecting effects would be right out.

As for physical effects, I'd imagine it would depend on the source. If your blood is replaced with poison, that sticks with your corpse. If you get hit so hard that you're paralyzed with pain, I'd think that would clear out upon death, as your consciousness leaves your body. In the event that you are revived, it's implied that most high-end restorative magic will fix whatever condition caused your death in the first place, so this issue probably wouldn't come up, unless you were revived with the fantasy equivalent of a defibrillator. New use for shocking grasp?

If you are disabled and not DEAD dead, however, the paralysis would function as normal, as would any other effect reliant simply upon you being physically and mentally alive.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Turn away from the condition of being dead, and instead turn to the method of revival. How do you come back from being dead?

If you are brought back from the brink of death by healing spells, no soap there - simple healing spells just restore hit points. Regenerate, also, doesn't seem to help much.

From the d20 SRD
Heal:
"It immediately ends any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the Target: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned. It also cures 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster, to a maximum of 150 points at 15th level."

Paralysis is not on the list of conditions removed.

Now, if you were really most sincerely dead...

Raise Dead:
"A raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its current Hit Dice. Any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to 1. Normal poison and normal disease are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases and curses are not undone. "

This would suggest to me that if the paralysis effect lasts over the minute required to case Raise Dead, you're probably still paralyzed. However...

Resurrection:
"Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of prepared spells. "

"Full hit points, vigor, and health"? That's up to interpretation. If that paralysis lasts more than 10 minutes for a Resurrection, as a GM I'd likely say that the paralysis was removed by the spell.

Of course, Remove Paralysis is just a 2nd level spell...

As others have said, but said another (simplified) way:

If it could affect you while sleeping (hold person, a ghoul/ghast's paralysis, paralytic poison all would), then it would not go away when you drop to negatives.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And which spell do you not want me to cast on you so I can memorize that spell, Divine Protection or Bull's Strength?

You're a divine caster who takes healing seriously enough to have raise dead or resurrection known and prepared, but you're not keeping utility scrolls on hand?

Yes, some campaigns don't have scrolls so available. But then, some campaigns don't have Raise Dead so available either. Once you're talking about house rules or setting differences, all bets are off.

Remove ads