• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paralyzed, then dropped below 0 hp

Random Axe

Explorer
Big battle in progress. I face off against a big baddie, who hacks and slashes me with multiple attacks. Due to some supernatural or magical ability of the monster, I get paralyzed by one of the strikes after a bad saving throw attempt. He then proceeds to rend and tear at me some more, and I am dropped to -5 hp.

Standard bad day at the office. Question is this:

When I drop below 0 hp and am subsequently revived , does the paralysis go away? In other words, does the Disabled or Dying condition nullify the Paralyzed condition when I am healed in the next couple of rounds?

A specific reference to a section or page would be very useful.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
The reference is whatever ability the monster had. If the duration, for example, is 1d4 minutes, then you are paralyzed for 1d4 minutes. Unless something explicitly ends the paralysis. The dying condition does not say that it ends paralysis or anything else (except possibly life).

SRD said:
Dying

A dying character is unconscious and near death. She has -1 to -9 current hit points. A dying character can take no actions and is unconscious. At the end of each round (starting with the round in which the character dropped below 0 hit points), the character rolls d% to see whether she becomes stable. She has a 10% chance to become stable. If she does not, she loses 1 hit point. If a dying character reaches -10 hit points, she is dead.
Why would it?

While the system and edition are important, I know of no system that revokes/removes paralysis (or any condition) due to penalties on the pc of any kind, including going negative.

If you have houserules, you might make an appeal to the DM, or share the houserules here, and we could make an appeal for you.

My group has a houserule that if a caster is killed, their negative magics disappear (so if they cast hold person on you, you'd no longer be suffering from the spell if they were killed, regardless of the duration). But...that's a houserule.

We don't have a houserule that if you go negative, any negative effects dissapear. These might include paralysis, fear, curses, ability penalties, ability drain, fatigue, etc. I don't see a rationale for you being severely weakened to cause a removal of these factors.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

the Jester

Legend
No, and I see no reason why it would.

At least, I haven't seen a system where "dying" fixes all your other problems. It might be out there, I guess.

Remove ads