• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paridon Book II: A Taste For Power (IC)

Tiali

First Post
Cliff sits down, and grabs his breakfast... His first question is 'Where's the mead?'

He gets into his meal, and asks 'So what's it that we be doing?'

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Alek is well known for his shady dealings, the problem is proving it. Do we have anything to start with on any of them?"

Rhun

First Post
Having already eaten, Skyler opts for a cup of tea instead. He remains quiet as he sips the hot drink, waiting for someone to go over the details of the last couple of days.

kinem

Adventurer
Father Berman says "Very roughly, we have been up against an occult criminal ring within the gnomish community. Most notably, they found some way to constuct artificial vampires, with brass bodies and gnomish brains.

We defeated two of those powerful monsters, though the first was at the cost of Torhan's life, and the second nearly slew Callahan. There is no reason to think that any more exist. However, we can't be completely certain of that. We learned that brass weapons are just about the only thing that is effective against them, so I recommend that we all be issued some form of brass weapon, just to be on the safe side.

I would like to get brass balls. Err, to go with my gun. Ahem ... brass bullets, you see.

Edditomas was the first, and we found his journal. It spoke of two partners in crime, and research into 'artificial life' and 'artificial love'.

The former referred to the vampires. Pigglemorth was apparently the one who constructed them. He made his daughter Ada into one, but then regretted what became of her and helped us fight her.

The latter referred, I believe, to some new drug that has been sweeping the gnomish community. This is where I believe Alek came into the picture. I think this drug makes willing slaves of its victims, and that he was the dealer. I suspect that Marionette and Kitten are victims of it.

I forgot to mention the bird-masked men who attacked us. The masks were rigged with explosives. These lunatics were also under the influence of the drug, I would say.

Pigglemoth and the Combledorns have clearly had some kind of falling out. Perhaps he was afraid that his daughter would be corrupted by the drug, and that is why he did what he did. He wishes to testify against Alek, I know that.

The picture should become clearer once we interview Pigglemorth. I would like to be present for that interview, if not conduct it."

Rhun

First Post
Skyler nearly chokes on his tea as Father Berman makes his comment about requisitioning some brass balls. He coughs into his hand to clear his throat, a slight smile on his face. As he continues to listen to his fellow constable's words, though, the smile disappears.

"Quite shocking, if I do say," says the young nobleman. "So it sounds like we should proceed with interroga...er, interviewing these gnomes? Any other ideas of what our next steps should be?"

Theroc

First Post
Rhiannon suspected that one of the originals had no desire to hear her speak, given his actions, but she had no evidence he couldn't hear every word she'd spoken, and so made no overt indication she'd noted.

After she spoke the others went about with their introductions. It seemed Rose Company pulled in talent from all walks of life. When it came to Father Berman's introduction, Rhia had to suppress a disdainful look. Spiritual well-being... pah! Following the introductions, Gis gave his orders for the team, and took his leave, whereupon the Priest gave his report.

Rhiannon sat at the table, pouring herself a small glass of tea and locating a small basket of fruit, picking at the contents as she listened. When she heard mention of Alek's essentially enslavement of several other women, Rhia's right hand moved to grip her rifle tightly, the woman resisting a violent impulse. She managed to avoid an outburst, though barely, and continued analyzing the information she'd been given.

"If we detain these 'slaves' long enough, this drug should work it's way out of their system, right? Poisons and potions don't last forever, as far as I know. Once they are no longer under the influence of that abominable toxin, perhaps they'd be more likely to testify against this... Alek..." Rhiannon paused for a moment, before continuing with her analysis. "If I understand correctly, the only real question now, is whether Alek is the second link in this Edditomas' journal or if he just happened to cross Pigglemorth the wrong way. In any case, I'd like to be present for any questioning... but... someone else will have to hold my weapons while I'm in the same room with Alek talking... he doesn't sound like anyone I'd like walking free..." Rhiannon drifted off, her cheeks coloring softly at how bluntly she'd stated it, before taking another bite from the fruit basket to distract her from the rest of the room for a moment.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"If we cannot do anything else, I might be able to analyze the substance and concoct an antidote or at least something that prevents effect for some time. If former, we can interrogate anyone without effects of the drug, if latter then WE can be immune to attempts at enslavement.

If you could drag me in their cells kicking and screaming, maybe I can get something out of them. I don't think Alek would open up, but other two might while he is on interview. But you'd have to remove the masks."

industrygothica

Adventurer
If you could drag me in their cells kicking and screaming, maybe I can get something out of them. I don't think Alek would open up, but other two might while he is on interview. But you'd have to remove the masks."

Those two, open up?Darian Rose stifles a chuckle at the comment, but keeps his thoughts to himself for the time being. Then he looks at Rhiannon through the smoke of his cigar and makes a point of letting his gaze settle on hers before taking a step off the wall.

"I, for one, would be perfectly delighted to hold your rifle while we question Alek." His voice is deep and resonant, almost soothing despite his current irritable demeanor.

kinem

Adventurer
Father Berman holds up a hand.

"Listen. I have nothing against the use of 'enhanced interrogation' techniques on Alek, but the first step must be to interview Pigglemorth. He is the only witness who is willing to cooperate. I have good reasons for my suspicions, but right now we are trying to feel our way around in the dark. Pigglemorth's testimony should shed enough light on the situation for us to know how to proceed.

The other thing we should do is check on what is going on in the gnomish community. Even if the production of the drug has stopped, there could well be secondary dealers that could still be active. Also, we can not yet be sure that there are no other players involved in the horrid affair."

Remove ads