• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Partial Skill Successes (as inspired by Apocalypse World) Suggestions Wanted!

teach

First Post
It depends on what the character's action is. In my game I try to make sure that we resolve the actions of the fictional characters instead of a skill's specific sub-system.

[sblock=My Skill Stuff]I have a slightly different skill system; skills don't have specific roles, they're more like descriptors of the character - her abilities and background. For example, I don't have skills like Athletics or Thievery, I have skills like this:

* Apprentice To - Narska of Asp (human f wizard 7). +7

During my apprenticeship I had to collect reagents from graveyards and other mages/creatures for my mistress. Stole/pick-pocketed from market patrons/shop keepers as per my mistress's wishes. Aided her in the preparation of sacrificial victems/ ritual casting. I was also house chef due to my exotic palette and my ability to take the heat of the ovens.

* Physical Trait - Bulging biceps. +5​

If that skill "obviously applies" then we add the full modifier, or +2 if it's only associated. (Only one skill can be applied, and only one can be associated. Like Burning Empires' skill + FoRK.)

The whole point of this is so that we resolve the character's actions in motion instead of the specific skill's sub-system. A couple of weeks ago the PC with Bulging Biceps was trying to pick up a half-elven bard. He used that skill to "peacock" for her instead of something like Diplomacy.[/sblock]

I've always been interested in these kinds of skill systems. How was the buy in from the players? Did they have a hard time coming up with skills? Do you find that some players create over powered skills, or do you all work collaboratively to create these skills? And how do they come up with the bonus?

One thing I really like about your system is it really forces creative thinking to encourage players to use their skills in different situations.

For many of the players I play with, they really enjoy the more traditional D&D style, so it might be hard to get them to try this skill system, which is why I came up with the partial successes. In many cases, the players wouldn't even need to know that they only got a "partial success".

teach

First Post
Heh. You could get really weird with Arcana, like partial success on a check about the Far Realm could dominate a PC or cause them to speak only Deep Speech for a time. So running with your example, here are several more for detecting magic with Arcana...

Identify conjuration or zone: The conjuration/zone moves toward you as a free action if the creator wishes (if it's a power with no movement instead use creator's speed).

Identify ritual: You gain an unsettling glimpse into the casting of the ritual, and you are effected according to the ritual's category. For example, if you recognize a divination ritual was used you might become blind/deaf for a round while you are accosted by images; or if you identify a binding ritual (like magic circle) you might develop a telepathic bond with the trapped demon.

Identify magical effect: The magical effect triggers or responds to your scrutiny in some way.

Sense the presence of magic: Your detection is blocked by barriers, or strong ambient magic, or some other conditions limiting your area of detection.

These are great Quickleaf! Do you mind if I add them to my list, and credit you?

LostSoul

Adventurer
I've been thinking about this. I wonder if it would be better to create "Basic Moves" for each skill instead of a list saying, "This is what happens." I used some of AW's Move structure in a sub-system for my game and it didn't turn out very well - it was an exercise in die-rolling.

AW isn't like that as far as I can tell since the cues to roll and the results are usually grounded in the fiction.

Something like...

Why you move with grace and precision, roll Acrobatics + DEX. On a Moderate success, you do it. On a Hard success, you do it with aplomb and impress those watching. On an Easy, the DM picks 1. On a Failure, the DM picks 2:
* You trip, stumble, lose your grip, or fall.
* Something falls from your pack.
* You end up in a bad location.

(Hard/Mod/Easy/Failure work with the DC tables, or a range if the DC is a defence like you've posted.)

One other thing I was thinking about was including the actions from the terrain powers article. If you could somehow incorporate those into the structure of the "Move", I think it would be really cool. I think it'd end up looking different from AW's system, but I think it would be worth it.

I am going to sblock my reply to your questions about my skill system since it is a tangent:

[sblock=My reply]
I've always been interested in these kinds of skill systems. How was the buy in from the players? Did they have a hard time coming up with skills? Do you find that some players create over powered skills, or do you all work collaboratively to create these skills? And how do they come up with the bonus?

One thing I really like about your system is it really forces creative thinking to encourage players to use their skills in different situations.

For many of the players I play with, they really enjoy the more traditional D&D style, so it might be hard to get them to try this skill system, which is why I came up with the partial successes. In many cases, the players wouldn't even need to know that they only got a "partial success".

I have a list of skills that the players choose from. Some ask the player to define things. As DM I can overrule the scope of a skill if I think a player is pushing too far, but I don't know if I've had to do that or not. Some skills are simply better than others, but that's never been a problem.

The players seem to enjoy it - choosing skills tends to flesh out a character in interesting ways.

The bonus is the usual +5 for trained; if something gives you a bonus to a skill, you add that bonus to an appropriate skill. The stat modifier that's used depends on what the PC's doing - breaking free of spider webs is Str, while picking up a half-elven bard is Cha.[/sblock]

Quickleaf

Legend
These are great Quickleaf! Do you mind if I add them to my list, and credit you?
Not at all, go for it! I'll add some more when I get a chance.

I've been thinking about this. I wonder if it would be better to create "Basic Moves" for each skill instead of a list saying, "This is what happens."
That's how I inferred [MENTION=45322]teach[/MENTION] meant these partial success conditions to be used, just like your Acrobatics example.

I used some of AW's Move structure in a sub-system for my game and it didn't turn out very well - it was an exercise in die-rolling.
Do you mean the DC range for skill checks would be tedious to keep track of?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Do you mean the DC range for skill checks would be tedious to keep track of?

No, not really. It was for making magic items and you had to pick from a list of bad things that happened - losing healing surges, upsetting NPCs, polluting the environment, etc. But it was boring. The player said, "Okay, now I make an Arcana check" (basically), rolled, then picked the option(s) he liked best. It wasn't dynamic, it wasn't immersive, it was a little risky but mostly boring.

The next time he went to make magic items we ditched that system for the basic one (describe your action, set modifiers & DC based on action, roll, result). Much better - what the PC was actually doing had an impact in the end result. What the magic item did changed through the rolls.

If you are trying to cross an ice sheet you know there are two partial results - take twice as long or end up prone. You pick the one that's better for you in the circumstance. In the game it will look like this:

DM: The ice is challenging terrain. Make an Acrobatics Move. DC 19.
PC: 16.
DM: Partial success; pick one.
PC: Well I know that wolves do extra damage to prone characters, so let's say it takes twice as long.

If that's what you want it's cool. I don't know how dynamic it would be, and it doesn't matter what the PC is actually doing. This is what I'm thinking.

DM: The ice is challenging terrain. DC 19.
PC: I move across it.
DM: How?
PC: I slide gracefully across the ice. (Alternatively: I dig my feet into the ice to get a grip - Athletics Move.)
DM: Cool, make an Acrobatics Move.
PC: 16.
DM: You end up in a bad location. You slip and slide across the ice over here between the two wolves.

Obviously that's not going to work well, it needs to be fleshed out, but it's something to consider.

Remove ads