D&D 5E Passive perception

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Passive perception is calculated like any passive skill score. It is calculated as 10 + the modifier used when making the skill check. Passive perception gets called out for being the most common passive score used.

Initiative is simple a dexterity check. So just 1d20 + Dex. However, some features may modify initiative rolls specifically so add those as well.

Proficiency bonus is a bonus that scales with character level. To find out what it is for your character look at the class table (any class table, proficiency bonus scales the same for everyone). It is added to: attack rolls with weapons you are proficient in, saving throws with saves you are proficient in, skill checks with skills you are proficient in, and ability checks when using a tool you are proficient in.

Vision is a broad area. What exactly are you looking for?

They're trying to fill those boxes on the character sheet. It does take some digging to find it. It is pretty vague in the phb and brb. Start in the index. You'll get there. If you want to be really lazy get the Fifth Edition Character Sheet app from your App Store of choice. It is fantastic. And it calculates them for you.

tannersharp

First Post
Well I'm new and am making a character and don't really understand it fully because my first character was made by my groups DM who just asked us a few things and got us to do a bit and we had them but I want to learn how to make characters so I can help my group and others when I understand. And thanks a lot it really he,ps

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
For Vision, unless you have a spell or special class feature, it's always defined by your race. Most races have darkvision or some other improved sense now, I want to say only humans and halflings have truly "normal" vision but I'd need to check and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

aramis erak

Legend
For Vision, unless you have a spell or special class feature, it's always defined by your race. Most races have darkvision or some other improved sense now, I want to say only humans and halflings have truly "normal" vision but I'd need to check and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Standard Senses:
Core: HUmans, Halflings, Dragonborn
AL Season Books: Air Genasi, Water Genasi, Earth Genasi
UA: Minotaur, Changeling, Warforged

Remove ads