Path of the Sword Schools of Combat

Skarp Hedin

First Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with the Schools of Combat section in FFG's Path of the Sword (Chapter 3)?

One of my players was potentially interested in trying one of them out, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has used them, and ask how the experience went.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, they're basically a way for non-spellcasters to spend some XP and learn some trick or combat maneuver. For example, if you join one of the schools, you can spend 100 xp to learn a technique that'll give you a +4 bonus to defend against being tripped, etc.

Anyhow, if anyone's used the schools, I'd appreciate knowing how it turned out.

Thanks

Crothian

First Post
I think it works great. It gives everyone a chance to spend XP and have all the characters stay about the same level. It adds a sense of depth to the character and allowed me to introduce NPCs of that school, and rival schools.

Ruined

Explorer
The fighter in my Scarred Lands game is using one of the schools and it's working well for him so far. Originally we had talked about the Jadan spearmen, but he went for a different one. I don't have my book or notes handy, so I can't remember the one.

All in all, I've been very pleased with the Path of... books, and have used a good amount of material so far. I just picked up Path of Shadow today, and it'll be getting the once-over this weekend.

Remove ads