Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2: beginner box unboxing

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
How can anyone call a game box with all that stuff in it overpriced at $40? This isn't 1974 anymore, folks!

I'm surprised, though, that from a marketing standpoint, the beginner box wasn't released far sooner in the PF2 stream. But then again, what do any of us know about marketing?

I just hope that the release of this product and the upcoming reprinting of the CRB also bring us some long-awaited errata for several ill-defined rules.

dave2008

Legend
How can anyone call a game box with all that stuff in it overpriced at $40? This isn't 1974 anymore, folks!
Kenada didn't say it was over priced (which assumes value), they said it was "pricey." Kenada then clarified that the cost is higher than what they would want to see from a marketing standpoint (quick buy), not a value standpoint. So it can be a great value and still be pricey for the segment it is going after.

If the casual buyer will only pay $25, then being a great value at $40 doesn't help a lot. That is what @kenada was talking about I believe.

PS - I have no idea if that is accurate or not, just saying that was my understanding of the argument.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
PS - I have no idea if that is accurate or not, just saying that was my understanding of the argument.
Pretty much. I did a cursory check on e.g., Target and Amazon before posting, and the D&D boxed sets were going for $12~$16. The cheapest I saw the Beginner Box was $27.99 at Cool Stuff Inc, which is still the price of both of the other sets together.

From a marketing perspective, Paizo may have conceded on price/name-recognition and is going for having a ton of stuff in the box compared to the competition. Both of the included books are comparatively substantial, and it includes a flip mat and pawns.

I’ve never used Paizo’s pawns before. If they’re nice and comprehensive enough, I might actually pick some up from Paizo. I had a subscription to the early Pathfinder Battles line, so I have tons of minis, but there are still gaps in my collection. 😅

ronaldsf

Explorer
Maybe we're looking at these things through old guy glasses? $40 seems reasonable as a gift for a kid IF it has quality components like this clearly does. Having the pawns and the flip mat make this just look more like a complete game than the D&D box sets.

Remove ads