Pathfinder 2 Character Sheet #1: Fumbus, Goblin Alchemist

If you've been following along with the Pathfinder 2nd Edition playtest news, you're in for a treat over the coming days. Paizo has very kindly sent me the character sheets of all six of the playtest characters, and I'll be sharing them with you one at a time over the next week or so! We'll start today with Fumbus the goblin alchemist.

But first, before we delve into the first character, here's a quick word from Paizo's Mark Seifter:

"Since the announcement of the Pathfinder Playtest, we here at Paizo have been running demos of the game at select shows, using six of our iconic characters to showcase the new rules of the game. By now, countless spoilers have been uncovered from these characters, but we are pretty sure there are a few surprises left to be uncovered. Well, get ready to dig in, because for the first time ever we are going to show off the sheets for all six of these characters.

We have all your favorite familiar iconics, Kyra the cleric, Valeros the fighter, Merisiel the rogue, Ezren the wizard, Seelah the paladin, and of course, Fumbus the goblin alchemist… hang on there, Fumbus is actually brand new to the Pathfinder Playtest! Each of the characters comes with a new sketch by Wayne Reynolds and enough information to play the character in a demo. I should note that these sheets are early drafts and while a few things have changed, the rules are mostly correct, even if the layout and look of the sheets is nothing like what you can expect to find when the game launches on August 2nd. Finally, these sheets reference a lot of the rules we have already previewed in our blogs over at Paizo.com (which you can also find summarized right here on ENWorld), so if you are confused on some of the topics, hop on over and catch up on all the news."

And now... on with the show! First up is Fumbus, the goblin alchemist.

"As an alchemist, Fumbus is all about making and throwing bombs, though he can do relatively decent damage with his dogslicer when he catches the target flat-footed to take advantage of the backstabber trait, especially against foes like zombies weak against slashing. He’s chosen both of the bombs that deal persistent damage, which between the fire and the acid can stack up to quite the damage over time, particularly on a critical hit, which he’s fairly likely to achieve targeting touch. What is most interesting is that he can make a few extra alchemical items during the game, usually on-the-fly in the middle of a fight. This gives him the flexibility to be the star of nearly any encounter."

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.48.42.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.48.51.png

Stay tuned, as tomorrow it's the turn of Kyra, the human cleric! And right at the end, I'll give you a handy PDF of all six, so don't worry about trying to turn these images into a PDF. I'll do it for you!

Thank you so much to Paizo for sending these along. You can read about my short playtest of the game here.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

S

Sunseeker

Turns out we (and myself personally) really like Wayne as a person and love his art. And we are not alone. I've met many a new player who fell in love with Wayne's artwork due to Pathfinder. But, you know, opinions vary.

Stephen
Pathfinder RPG Senior Designer and map guy.

Well, since folks from Paizo are listening in, and we're talking about Wayne Reynolds....

Wayne Reynolds art (since I have no idea how he is as a person) is one of the primary reasons I held off buying Pathfinder books until you announced you weren't going to make hardbacks of PF1 anymore.

Now, I've seen Wayne's art outside of Pathfinder (in non-fantasy or other material where his usual style is unbecoming) and he's clearly a skilled artist. HOWEVER, from an art perspective, beyond the obvious stylization of his work, his work is almost universally busy to the point that in some work is is difficult to tell what I'm even looking at. There are gobs of unnecessary details that while indeed, an adventurer may actually be covered in all these little details, districts from the works themselves. And yes, there is clearly some stylization going on, there are also some obvious anatomy issues with many of his images.

Even though I LOVED 4E, and likewise loved the artist who did the vast majority of its art, the overwhelming singularity of the art was a turn-off. As it often is in PF1. One of the strengths of other games, not just D&D, is a diversity of art styles. It helps enable the reader to visualize the game on their terms, while utilizing a singular artist forces the reader to visualize the game on your terms. Both of these are perfectly valid marketing strategies, but at least in my case, I still have difficulty visualizing even my own characters when playing Pathfinder in a non-Wayne-Reynolds-style. Because of that, I find my desire to play PF1 much lower.

So sure, different strokes for different folks, but that's kinda my point. And quite literally, different strokes would attract different folks.

Adso

First Post
One of the strengths of other games, not just D&D, is a diversity of art styles. It helps enable the reader to visualize the game on their terms, while utilizing a singular artist forces the reader to visualize the game on your terms. Both of these are perfectly valid marketing strategies, but at least in my case, I still have difficulty visualizing even my own characters when playing Pathfinder in a non-Wayne-Reynolds-style. Because of that, I find my desire to play PF1 much lower.

So sure, different strokes for different folks, but that's kinda my point. And quite literally, different strokes would attract different folks.

While we do you Wayne for the covers of all our hardback core books, he is not the only artist that we use. In fact, if you take all of the gaming product we produce for Pathfinder (adventures, adventure path volumes, Pathfinder Setting books, Player Companions, novels, comics, and so on), Wayne doesn't even do the vast majority of our covers. He certainly doesn't do anywhere near the majority of our interior art.

And Wayne is a delightful person: smart, fun and kind.

Jeff Carpenter

Adventurer
I have never been a fan of Reynolds’s art either. Not sure I would make a buying decision based on just that. I can see both side of the argument for change to bring in new buyers vs Reynolds is our brand. Honestly the fact that goblins are a player races is more a turn off. Especially if they are played for laughs. Come on Fumbles.... I mean Fumbus.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Much like my desire for PF1 that waned as the company put out to much stuff to keep up with or even want to use, Wayne's art was well liked to begin with but my fondness for it has waned as well. The feet/boots are jacked in most but it's an aesthetic thing to me. I didn't play much 4e but seeing 15 hp at first level seems high to my 1e/2e/3e/5e mindset. Function of game design for the edition but just odd to my initial eye balling :)

still ill looking forward to reading the final PDF rules book to mine for my home D&D game!

Adso

First Post
I didn't play much 4e but seeing 15 hp at first level seems high to my 1e/2e/3e/5e mindset. Function of game design for the edition but just odd to my initial eye balling :)

still ill looking forward to reading the final PDF rules book to mine for my home D&D game!

This is an effect of our take on ancestries and 0-level characters. Unlike older editions, you gain Hit Points for you ancestry not just for your class and when you level. So, for instance, the gnome baker living in town might have 8 Hit Points, while the 1st-level gnome rogue you just met at the tavern might have 16 Hit Points.

Yaarel

He Mage
Alignment needs to be in the personality, story section, not in the mechanics section. Put it in the same category as things like goals, relationships, philosophical views, religious customs, ideals, and so on. Alignment is a shorthand descriptor for ethics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Klassen

First Post
I don’t know. That skill list is very small and there is no way I’d be able to put all my gear in that list. What about the tents and bed roll and rope etc.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases