• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2nd Edition (no, don't get excited!)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
more skill ranks for any class that has 2+INT, it just hurts

I would argue that it doesn't hurt the wizard one bit. So I'd be wary of increasing his skill points under any circumstances.

Crothian

First Post
Get rid of most of the spells and feats. Make some that are more versatile and have more that build off of specific class abilities and race abilities. I'd also like to see race matter more. Skill list could be trimmed as well and build in knowledge skills to different classes and the same with the perform skills instead of having long lists of both of those.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Hey! :p I want more spells!

Seriously, we keep making up new spells as the old ones get boring after all the time.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Hey! :p I want more spells!

Seriously, we keep making up new spells as the old ones get boring after all the time.

Seriously. Options is one of the reasons I'm playing Pathfinder over 4E. If the game exists where there are fewer options and work the way other people want them to why arent they playing THOSE games instead of looking to change THIS one.

I know we're talking hypothetically here but really.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The biggest changes I expect to see would be in the world setting for Pathfinder RPG 2E. There is a point in time where the world setting becomes so expansive that it is beyond any hope for a new player/GM to feel that they can easily understand and access all the history and precedent created by the existing setting. Golarion has grown in under five years from a blank slate to the 2nd most detailed world setting in RPG history. Only the Forgotten Realms has had more ink spilled over it in RPG land. When you surpass Greyhawk in a mere five years? That's a LOT of detail in a very short period of time.

If you are a new Pathfinder GM, there is SO MUCH material out there that it is an extremely intimidating setting to just jump into with both feet. In another five years? It will time to put it to bed.

Given their demonstrated ability to create a new world and do it quickly, I would hope that Paizo ultimately restarts a new kichen-sink world setting as their "current" world to open up new possibilities for Pathfinder 2E.

I really wouldn't want another "kitchen sink" world. But, if they were to do another world, they could simply do so with the current edition of the rules once they are finished telling stories in Golarion.

In fact, I'd say that keeping the same rules and "rebooting" with a new setting would be a superior way to go. That way people don't need to relearn a rules system - just enjoy the new fluff, which Paizo does in excellent fashion.

Also, regarding the issue of the setting being "too big", I would love to see an online encyclopedia that was an interractive map of Golarion. Click on a city (or realm or feature) and you get the basic information about the city and the online resource points you to adventure products that have taken place there. Kind of like what Goodman did with their World of Aereth box set (although that was on paper, not electronic).

alientude

First Post
Also, regarding the issue of the setting being "too big", I would love to see an online encyclopedia that was an interractive map of Golarion. Click on a city (or realm or feature) and you get the basic information about the city and the online resource points you to adventure products that have taken place there. Kind of like what Goodman did with their World of Aereth box set (although that was on paper, not electronic).

Kind of like this? It's still a WIP, but I think it's what you're seeking.

delericho

Legend
No, I've not heard anything to suggest that such a thing is imminent. Although I imagine that it may at least have begun to exist deep withing the secret Paizo lair.

Actually, I'd be surprised if they're thinking about it, beyond occasionally "is it time yet?"... "no, not yet."

One of the big selling points of Pathfinder was it's backwards compatibility to 3.5e. Indeed, when they did the open playtest, many of the rules changes they had implemented ended up getting rolled back in favour of the status quo. I think that remains a key point of Pathfinder, and that making big changes to the game would be too risky. Problem is, doing another incremental change would also be a really tough sell.

So, I reckon Pathfinder 2nd Edition is a good long way off yet.

So, if Paizo were to announced 2E tomorrow, what would you hope they do with it?

Scrap backwards compatibility, and simplify the core game right down. Basically, do a B/X-like version of the game, either based heavily on the Beginner Box, or as an expansion of the same. The maths of Pathfinder, like 3.5e before it, can get overwhelming, as can the sheer weight of options.

Of course, having slimmed the core down, there's absolutely nothing stopping them then producing all those options for people who want them.

Matthias

Explorer
One of the big selling points of Pathfinder was it's backwards compatibility to 3.5e. Indeed, when they did the open playtest, many of the rules changes they had implemented ended up getting rolled back in favour of the status quo.

Where could I get a list of these rolled-back changes?

Remove ads