Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2nd Edition

PMárk

Explorer
And that is on a platform they didn't had an official license with, thus AP material, for example. It seems to confirm my assesment that PF isn't loosing ground to 5e, actually, it's growing. It's just, with it's aiming, business philosophy and the help of the current zeitgeist, 5e earned a LOT of new gamers, but largely not on other games' expense.

I think it's a good thing. It means, if a lot of people are trying out D&D, it's more likely a bunch of them will try out other things after a time and will play other games too. Like PF, if they want more options, setting support, simulation and such.

So, I won't complain that 5e is a very succesfull entry drug, as long as it isn't on the expense of the other games. :) So far, seems like it isn't.

Last edited:

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Pathfinder has a more detailed set of rules for creating monsters. Monsters, NPCs, and Player Characters all have the same set of stats. In 5e they are separate, and in Starfinder they are separate. I like Pathfinder because it has stayed true to the 3.5 concept, if there is a second edition that does not, I am sticking with 3.5 and 1st ed Pathfinder, those games stay alive as long as people play them. Each edition of D&D is its own separate game. If Pathfinder publishes a 2nd edition that is completely different, then what's the point? the reason we love Pathfinder is because it allows us to continue playing our 3.5 campaigns. We didn't want to throw that away so we could play 4th edition D&D, so we went over to Pathfinder which is mostly 3.5 D&D by another name.

Maybe Paizo plans' are a third line about a d20 superheroes.

Pathfinder and D&D 5th Ed have got their own style, like "Street Fighter" and "Mortal Kombat" videogames, or Sonic and Mario Bros, or Zelda and Dark Souls, or Call of Duty and Doom, Starcraft and Age of Empires. Really they aren't fighting for the same piece of cake.

D&D 5th Ed is for players who want or need softer rules, for example parents with their children.

If it still work, better not to be changed. Do remember they aren't only the core books, but a lot of soucerbooks with a lot of prestige classes, spells, magic item, feats, etc.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Maybe Paizo plans' are a third line about a d20 superheroes.

Pathfinder and D&D 5th Ed have got their own style, like "Street Fighter" and "Mortal Kombat" videogames, or Sonic and Mario Bros, or Zelda and Dark Souls, or Call of Duty and Doom, Starcraft and Age of Empires. Really they aren't fighting for the same piece of cake.

D&D 5th Ed is for players who want or need softer rules, for example parents with their children.

If it still work, better not to be changed. Do remember they aren't only the core books, but a lot of soucerbooks with a lot of prestige classes, spells, magic item, feats, etc.

the way monsters are presented in the Monster Manual, they are harder to adjust, because you don't see the underlying stats that are not shown, just the combat modifiers. With pathfinder, you can see how each monster is built and you can change the monsters by altering the stats, and it is more of a science than an art as it is with 5th edition D&D.

R

RevTurkey

Hi all, been reading your replies. Very interesting thanks.

What would you all do if you ran Paizo?

I think a good idea would be to wind down on the splat books and slow the adventure paths to the same pace as Starfinder. Then release conversions of existing APs to 5e. That would probably be a good money maker, allowing them some freedom to experiment. I would start playtesting PF version 2 shortly after with small improvements like Starfinder...OR be way more radical (my preferred approach) and develop a completely new fantasy rpg line with a bespoke ruleset...and take on D&D. Paizo have the creative advantage with an excellent staff. They could do something amazing I bet...but a bit risky.

And that is on a platform they didn't had an official license with, thus AP material, for example. It seems to confirm my assesment that PF isn't loosing ground to 5e, actually, it's growing. It's just, with it's aiming, business philosophy and the help of the current zeitgeist, 5e earned a LOT of new gamers, but largely not on other games' expense.

I think it's a good thing. It means, if a lot of people are trying out D&D, it's more likely a bunch of them will try out other things after a time and will play other games too. Like PF, if they want more options, setting support, simulation and such.

So, I won't complain that 5e is a very succesfull entry drug, as long as it isn't on the expense of the other games. :) So far, seems like it isn't.
Pathfinder did take a hit when 5e started. And they lost games a couple times, only really having a big jump in Q1 2017. Which was big for them, but not for 5e. And it's hard to say how much is Pathfinder gaining new fans and how much is Pathfinder players moving to Roll20 (perhaps because meat space games moved to 5e). It doesn't say how sales are doing and how many people are buying the new shiny splatbook.

Which is the catch with Pathfinder's model. Even if they have a huge surge in their audience, that group will just burn through the half-dozen big books already on the shelves and are unlikely to hit the newer just released options. Paizo's model right now is really focused on releasing content because it's expected and because Pathfinder fans just want the three big hardcovers every year.
Which really burned them last year when the schedule focused on Starfinder and a less popular book.

What would you all do if you ran Paizo?

I think a good idea would be to wind down on the splat books and slow the adventure paths to the same pace as Starfinder. Then release conversions of existing APs to 5e. That would probably be a good money maker, allowing them some freedom to experiment. I would start playtesting PF version 2 shortly after with small improvements like Starfinder...OR be way more radical (my preferred approach) and develop a completely new fantasy rpg line with a bespoke ruleset...and take on D&D. Paizo have the creative advantage with an excellent staff. They could do something amazing I bet...but a bit risky.
Funny thing... they're actually increasing the Starfinder AP to monthly, so it keeps pace with Pathfinder.
Which is great now when you want a lot of adventures but bad in three years when new players suddenly have five or six APs to choose from. Which is the problem with RPGs: you need a LOT of content right at the start and people want a large minimum amount of crunch and options, but you can reach satiation super fast.

At this point though, Paizo is selling new books to collectors. For people to look at and go "hey, that'd be a cool character concept" which they'll never use because they already have two-dozen potential character concepts in mind and the one they just saw will be replaced by one in six months when another book is released. Content that isn't actually ever going to be used in a game (ever) but exists for theory crafting and lonely fun.

If I were in charge I'd go down to one hardcover a year (or 18 months, so every other year has two books). Focus more on lore and flavour. Perhaps a big campaign setting hardcover every second year with an annual theme book. Paizo has been doing theme books for a while, but so far they've been 3/4 crunch, and a good chunk of that being player options. Which is coming at the expense of the lore, which also doesn't add bloat.
I'd probably also cancel the Player Companion line. That served its purpose and ran its course. Now it's just content for the sake of content.

PMárk

Explorer
Pathfinder did take a hit when 5e started.

Which was to be expected, although, I think after that first wave it stabilized. In a nutshell, most people who played PF, because they didn't like 4e, but, in fact welcomed the simplification of 5e already went over.

And they lost games a couple times, only really having a big jump in Q1 2017.

On Roll 20, or are we talking in general? In general, I think there was some movement, when some portion of the people who went over to 5e at first, got bored after a while and went back to PF.

Which was big for them, but not for 5e.

And, as I said above, they doesn't have to compete directly. As long as the playerbase is growing, it doesn't really matter that 5e is that much bigger. Of course it is, it targets a much bigger demographic group. It doesn't mean PF is shrinking. It just means that more people are eating at McDonalds than at a much smaller restaurant chain, but as long as the small chain has its stablie and growing costumer base, it's okay.

And it's hard to say how much is Pathfinder gaining new fans and how much is Pathfinder players moving to Roll20 (perhaps because meat space games moved to 5e). It doesn't say how sales are doing and how many people are buying the new shiny splatbook.

That's true, that's why I said that those are my impressions, because I don't know the numbres, just as none of us.

Which is the catch with Pathfinder's model. Even if they have a huge surge in their audience, that group will just burn through the half-dozen big books already on the shelves and are unlikely to hit the newer just released options. Paizo's model right now is really focused on releasing content because it's expected and because Pathfinder fans just want the three big hardcovers every year.
Which really burned them last year when the schedule focused on Starfinder and a less popular book.

I think their main audience for the new rulebooks are not primarily new gamers. They have other products for that. That's the thing, WotC's main target audience for their books is new gamers, while Paizo's is more dedicated fans.

Funny thing... they're actually increasing the Starfinder AP to monthly, so it keeps pace with Pathfinder.
Which is great now when you want a lot of adventures but bad in three years when new players suddenly have five or six APs to choose from. Which is the problem with RPGs: you need a LOT of content right at the start and people want a large minimum amount of crunch and options, but you can reach satiation super fast.

I think WotC starts to reach that adventure bloat...

At this point though, Paizo is selling new books to collectors. For people to look at and go "hey, that'd be a cool character concept" which they'll never use because they already have two-dozen potential character concepts in mind and the one they just saw will be replaced by one in six months when another book is released. Content that isn't actually ever going to be used in a game (ever) but exists for theory crafting and lonely fun.

Or, you know, I might actually make my new character a Shifter... I think you assesment is a bit too black and white. There are stuff in the new books I want to use and I bet it's like that for a lot of people. But yeah, naturally, you won't use everything, but it's still nicer to have it, than not, because maybe your buddy will use it, or one of you players, or whatnot. But yeah, as above, the main target audience of Paizo's books is dedicated fans, that could be labeled as "collectors", especially, since the big books' content is on the website for free.

For example, the Advanced Class guide might have seemed redundant, but honestly, I actually really liked at least half of the new classes and want to use them. Will I, taking into consideration the realities of how much I could play? No, but it's still good to have the choices, because I will play some of them.

If I were in charge I'd go down to one hardcover a year (or 18 months, so every other year has two books). Focus more on lore and flavour. Perhaps a big campaign setting hardcover every second year with an annual theme book. Paizo has been doing theme books for a while, but so far they've been 3/4 crunch, and a good chunk of that being player options. Which is coming at the expense of the lore, which also doesn't add bloat.

Well, that, I could get behind. The big hardcovers are too crunch and player-options focused. The fluff content is good, but I think it should be more that and less another 20 pages of feats.

The 64 page Campaign Setting books are mostly fine, IMO and easily my favorite products from them.

I'd probably also cancel the Player Companion line. That served its purpose and ran its course. Now it's just content for the sake of content.

Hmmm. I'm a bit torn, because some of those, I really liked and I think, while yeah, they are scraping the bottom with them there are still good ones, but I'm not sure it won't be better to integrate the content somehow into the big books. Or just making the Companions pdf-only and releasing them annually, or bi-annually with some extra fluff as one big hardcover. Kinda like the old magazine annuals, or the newer hardcover re-releases of the first APs.

Last edited:

Which was to be expected, although, I think after that first wave it stabilized. In a nutshell, most people who played PF, because they didn't like 4e, but, in fact welcomed the simplification of 5e already went over.
Maybe. I think a lot of PF fans wanted to finish their campaigns or get one last use of their books. There was likely a slow year-long trickle of people swapping game systems.
Stabilising is nice, however it doesn't imply much growth, which means diminishing sales.

On Roll 20, or are we talking in general? In general, I think there was some movement, when some portion of the people who went over to 5e at first, got bored after a while and went back to PF.
Roll20.
And I'm sure there are some people that got bored with 5e and switched back. But that seems to be an insignificant percentage.

We have no numbers at all for other sources, other than the sales ranks of Pathfinder books on Amazon. And the sales rank of all Pathfinder books has been tracking downward for the last couple of years, with accessories no longer selling consistently in 2012 and 2013 while the Core Rulebook started slipping down in 2014. (See camelcamelcamel.com)
And, yes, I am aware that Paizo sells through their own website so sales could be moving over there. But this seems unlikely. Because their prices are higher and their shipping is killer (and much, much slower). There's no reason an increasing percentage of people would be shopping through their site.

And, as I said above, they doesn't have to compete directly. As long as the playerbase is growing, it doesn't really matter that 5e is that much bigger. Of course it is, it targets a much bigger demographic group. It doesn't mean PF is shrinking. It just means that more people are eating at McDonalds than at a much smaller restaurant chain, but as long as the small chain has its stablie and growing costumer base, it's okay.
Again, we don't know if the PF playerbase is actually growing or if it's shrinking offline and increasing slowly on Roll20 as people look there to find games they cannot in meat space.

Even then, the problem is that the small restaurant chain in this analogy has a huge staff and needs some pretty heavy sales numbers to sustain said staff. They need their current product to keep selling well. It doesn't matter how stable their playerbase is if they're not buying new books.

If/when I do run Pathfinder again, I'm not buying more books. I stopped buying physical books a couple years back, and I haven't even picked up the last couple PDFs after realising that I hadn't even really read the prior two PDFs I had purchased. And I'll probably greatly limit the books my players can use. Maybe an Adventurer's League-esque Core Rules +1.

I think their main audience for the new rulebooks are not primarily new gamers. They have other products for that. That's the thing, WotC's main target audience for their books is new gamers, while Paizo's is more dedicated fans.
This sounds elitist as eff.
It strongly implies that fans of 5e & WotC are not "dedicated" or that 5e's target audience was new gamers. Neither is true. The 5e playtest and design of 5e were strongly influenced and aimed at current & old players and the edition has some heavy retro vibes. It's a very nostalgic edition aimed at older gamers. That it's accessible and appeals to new players is just a perk.
(It also implies that new gamers can't be dedicated. Which is probably not remotely true either.)

I think WotC starts to reach that adventure bloat...
They're close. It's probably a good time for them to switch to one adventure per year and have other types of product. Which, conveniently, appears to be what they're doing.

Or, you know, I might actually make my new character a Shifter... I think you assesment is a bit too black and white. There are stuff in the new books I want to use and I bet it's like that for a lot of people. But yeah, naturally, you won't use everything, but it's still nicer to have it, than not, because maybe your buddy will use it, or one of you players, or whatnot. But yeah, as above, the main target audience of Paizo's books is dedicated fans, that could be labeled as "collectors", especially, since the big books' content is on the website for free.
The problem is that you don't make a new character every four months, which is the rate new hardcover books come out.
Each of the two APs I ran took up the better part of a year, and only had a single character change during them. During a play-through, three books came out with new options plus innumerable Player Companions. By the time my players could play a new character, the concept they had from reading one book had been replaced by one from the most recent book.

You mention wanting to play a shifter. And maybe you will. Assuming you make that new character before Planar Adventures comes out.

Collectors are a nice audience, but they're a minority. And there's only so much content even collectors will buy before they realise they have five or six books they've never used and a couple they've barely even read. I don't think Ultimate Combat has ever been used at my table. Or Occult Adventures. Let alone Mythic Adventures.
Plus... if you're a collector buying books just to collect and read and not use, then they don't actually need to be for a game system you're actually playing. They could be art books or map books and it would still count. Or other systems. When I decided my PF collection was "good enough" I moved to Shadows of Esteren. And filling in some gaps in my 2e book collection.

For example, the Advanced Class guide might have seemed redundant, but honestly, I actually really liked at least half of the new classes and want to use them. Will I, taking into consideration the realities of how much I could play? No, but it's still good to have the choices, because I will play some of them.
Advanced Class Guide is a great example. They had ten new base classes and not nearly enough time to remotely test them all. So the entire book is full of shaky mechanics. Rather than, say, pitch the classes and playtest the materials, then pick the six favourites and be able to adequately test and balance them all, they included all ten because they decided in advance that was the contents. Whether they were ready or not, or whether the fanbase really wanted them or not. It was pure content for the sake of content.
(And while you say you liked at least half of them... how many have you actually played for a significant time? Because, liking five classes is enough content for five full campaigns, or 2-4 years of play. It's literally the only PF book you needed since it was released.)

The vigilante is also a great example of content for the sake of releasing content. It exists solely because the other Ultimate XXX books had a new base class. It could have been a series of archetypes or a feat. Or a 1 to 5 level prestige class. (Which makes the most sense as being a superhero is something you train into.)

Pathfinder is probably the most supported game system currently published. Possibly second, behind RIFTs. There are more feats, more class variants, more spells, and more magic items then there was for 3e. A couple years back and Paizo was putting out more content than TSR did at its publishing height.
The question is, what percentage of content published by Paizo do you think has actually been used? How many of the 2500 feats have actually been used? Or the 400 subclasses? Or the 40-odd PC races?
How many options have never been taken once in a single game?

Well, that, I could get behind. The big hardcovers are too crunch and player-options focused. The fluff content is good, but I think it should be more that and less another 20 pages of feats.

The 64 page Campaign Setting books are mostly fine, IMO and easily my favorite products from them.
I quite like them as well. There's some great stuff in a lot of those books.

Hmmm. I'm a bit torn, because some of those, I really liked and I think, while yeah, they are scraping the bottom with them there are still good ones, but I'm not sure it won't be better to integrate the content somehow into the big books. Or just making the Companions pdf-only and releasing them annually, or bi-annually with some extra fluff as one big hardcover. Kinda like the old magazine annuals, or the newer hardcover re-releases of the first APs.
Here's the thing... do they need to be regular? Making them monthly or bi-monthly just means they have to release one whether it's ready or not. What if they just released one every 2-4 years when they have a really good idea and it's done? When they need to tie something into the AP.
A hard schedule worked for the subscriptions... but that's magazine thinking being applied to books. It's needless. Again, how many of the 87 Player Companions existed because they needed to release a book that month?

Advanced Class Guide is a great example. They had ten new base classes and not nearly enough time to remotely test them all. So the entire book is full of shaky mechanics.
Anecdotally speaking, Advanced Class Guide is where I stopped trusting them as a company. Once you publish a feat that gives every Oracle an automatic +10 bonus on all of their saves, it's a sign that your quality control has jumped the shark.

Remove ads