• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide Preview

Votan

Explorer
I'm waiting for the part where everyone realizes that the APG is optional. Concerned that it introduces power creep? Then don't use it.

I think that the issue is that the 3.5E D&D supplement strategy led to the game becoming a lot less fun and the sheer volume of options led to all sorts of issues with game balance. In particular, the two that annoyed me were:

1) As power levels rose and options changed, the CR system (never perfect to begin with) became harder and harder to use without a lot of "eyeballing". This also impacted the adventures available for the game.

2) When certain mixes of class, race and feats became good enough, the gap between a causal but competently designed character and a carefully optimized character grew to the point where it made the game harder to run.

I think that Paizo, despite any good intentions, does have to worry about the legacy of d20 power creep. I find the first more concerning as I subscribe to the adventure paths, love the product, and worry that the game with advanced options won't work as well for these paths.

Which is not to say that books of cool ideas and options can't be presented, just that this is a legacy that they have to overcome.

BryonD

Hero
A couple parts points and I’ll walk away from this thread as well.

The point keeps being made that a L2 spell becomes less and less valuable as the sorcerer gains levels. Certainly there is some truth to that, but just as certainly, it is subjective and some value remains. Having See Invisible, or Levitate as a back pocket utility spell can remain highly beneficial well past level 14.

The value of a single HP objectively declines as the character gains levels. A 6th level sorcerer with 6d6 (max HP at L1) will have 23 HP if his CON is only 10 (for reference a 4 point buy non-heroic npc defaults to this). He is trying to pick between increasing his HP by 4.3% and increasing his L2 spells known from 3 (including a bloodline spell which is locked in) to 4. There are a lot more than 4 worthwhile L2 to spells for a sorcerer to desire.

Also, from a simple statistical point of view, the value of the hit point his much more up to the whim of the dice. It can make a huge difference, no doubt. Being at 1 HP is far better than being at 0 HP, and being at 0 HP is far better than being at -1. And obviously being dead by 1 HP sucks. But being at -3 isn’t much worse than being at -1, and being dead by -15 is no more dead than dead by 1. Does that remove the value of that HP? Hell no. But the effective value is both small and very subject to the whims of the dice. An extra spell on the other hand is a new factor in the control of the player. That See Invisibility could prevent the damage in the first place. A lot of times it won’t, but at least the player has more control over the character’s fate. Is that a very subjective position? Yeah, very much so. But if subjective arguments are the main thrust against me, I’ think it is fair for me to reply in the same vein.

Obviously, a CON on the order of 14 is more typical for a PC and now we are talking about a less than 3% increase in HP. (Setting aside that anyone debating the choice at this level would certainly have 3 more HP, having foregone the 3 extra cantrips.) A fourth spell known vs. 3% in HP.
Now, lets roll this character up to 14th level. Ok, the spell is worth less.

But let’s stay with the 10 CON sorcerer. He is going to have 51 HP. That 1 HP paid is less than a 2% increase . And that is pretty much worst case scenario. The impact of the price paid for that L2 spell way back at L6 is declining faster than the loss in utility of the spell.

But, that L14 sorcerer is also looking to pick between 1 HP and another L6 spell. He may have his one new L7 spell, so this is a level down. But I don’t think a L14 sorcerer is intended to survive on his 3/day use of a single L7 spell. L6 spells, first of all, are L6 spells. They are nice spells. And they are at least as important as the L2 spells were at L6. At L6 the sorcerer could be tossing in some bloodline power 1d6+3 power or even falling back to a crossbow in a pinch. Crossbow is a poor option, but it is there. At 14 the 1d6+7 isn’t as much value (just as the L2 spells as have declined), and the crossbow is a waste of an action and carrying weight. So, the L6 spells are probably more important at L14 than the L2 were at L6. But let’s call them equal. For the equal merit is spell gained, the price has been cut by half. As the character gains levels, the price of a single HP becomes less and less consequential to the character. And if you start throwing optimized characters with 14+ CONs before enhancement bonuses into the mix (and max min analysis applies to optimizers more than any other group) then the balance becomes even further out of whack.

In the end, I don’t claim that any analysis I make or anything I say matters. In the near future the reviews of the book will be out there. And there will be people who love it no matter what and people who hate it no matter what. Honestly, I still strongly expect to love the book. If this is a poor example of the book then hurray hurray hurray!! We have one preview up, they choose it, this is what is shows. I’m commenting on that. Consider this a review of the preview, not of the book.

Now, if this example *IS* a good representation of the rest of the book. Then a lot of people will LOVE it. But it won’t be long before the consensus of power creep issues hits Paizo just as hard as it hit WotC. I don’t expect that to happen. But I also don’t expect the market as a whole to even give Paizo an equal consideration as WotC received. There are already people saying that the core itself has too much power creep built in. I think that is silly and the new baseline is clearly explained and makes a lot of sense.
But if I’m trying to convince people that there is not power creep in the core, then how am I possibly going to convince them that this is a good thing?

Power creep is a bad thing. This particular example is a lot of it. But even a little “innocuous” power creep is bad. They call it creep because the innocuous seeming bits add up and add up.
Maybe I’m just supposed to either heap praise or bite my tongue. Meh. If Paizo and/or some fanboys are upset (and I’m not accusing anyone at Paizo of actually being upset) then bite me. I’ll come back next time and praise the good stuff and call it like I see it on the bad stuff as well.

Looking forward to the next preview.

Kaisoku

First Post
Regarding Power Creep...

There's a difference between adding more pluses and adding more options.

Power Creep in the form of making PrCs that granted more damage or attack bonus or whatever towards a themed concept is power creep at it's worst. It causes problems because it specifically goes against the CR system (beating ACs and hitpoint totals that you couldn't before).

Power Creep in the form of more options, such as swapping out class abilities that are equal, or giving more versatility, is power creep at it's best. It doesn't "up" the ceiling in power level because everyone's pluses remain the same.
You can still only cast so many spells per day, have only so high an AC or attack bonus, etc.
It's not going to affect CRs much (if at all) by giving an alternative option as opposed to a higher bonus.

Regarding the particulars of the Favored Class bonuses...

I've always found that the single skillpoint was FAR more tasty than a single hitpoint. And not just because of the class picking it up.
There are many, many spells and abilities that alter hitpoints (granting bonus hitpoints, temporary hitpoints, curing hitpoints, etc).
There are no spells, abilities, or feats, or anything that grants bonus skill ranks. (Okay.. Int bonuses. You got me there).

A skill bonus is one thing. A skill rank can give you access to something you never had before (trained only use of skills, applying a +3 class skill bonus you didn't have before, etc).
Skill ranks are the only measuring stick for skills for gaining access to Prestige Classes (and potentially other abilities, such as feats).

When providing an option of additional spells to a class that has only 2 skill ranks per level, and no incentive to have a high Int whatsoever, and every reason to have more than a couple skills maxed out... well, a skill rank is very much still an incentive.

In the end, I've never used the hitpoint option for a player character or important NPC. I've maybe used it once in a while when I intended to make an NPC that had little use of skills due to limited facetime against the party.

If there's already a disparity between granting a hitpoint or skillpoint for favored class, then adding a new option that's considered "tasty" by most people, I don't see it as breaking any convention that is already in place.

And honestly, if I were playing a Human sorcerer, unless I really needed a spell or two, I'd probably be picking the skillpoint. I'm talking probably at least 50% of the levels.
This is just a gut feeling, but I've always built my characters (as a player or as a DM) with having multiple skill options.

Mon

Explorer
I will try to respond without breaking my promise to JB. Bad form, by the way, sweeping in after such a promise is made and trying to get the last word in when my hands are tied! ;)

What does not seem to be implicit, however, is that any new options in great number will introduce power creep. It's simply impossible to provide an entire book of options players will get excited about without adding power to the game - this is the nature of versatility itself.

I am not disputing that flexibility = power and would even say that it is implicit. Or at least well-established.

Making a note/analysis/nitpick of a potential power-level outlier, however, is not the same thing. Having said that, and to repeat myself, I don't actually think the spell thing is particularly powerful and certainly not overpowered. Just better than 1hp or 1 skp.

My point is, rather than focus on if a single addition (or two) to the rules is power creep, why not judge it against the entirety of the APG and the existing rules when it is released. That will certainly provide a much clearer picture of how powerful a given addition is.

We're talking about it now for the same reason you are.

Because we're interested in the APG and want to talk about it now! That's what the previews are for... to get folks talking. We're discussing/speculating aspects of a product in the correct thread/forum for it, and are entitled to do so. And I, for one, will do it again after next weeks preview too.

Obviously, the spells are better in most contexts, but in my opinion they are not always the correct choice.

If it's obviously better in most cases, we're back to 3.0 toughness in terms of design (but in reverse :p). As you'll see from my posts, that was precisely my point.

Experience will vary based on your group, your DM, and the challenges presented by your adventure.

No argument here. You may, indeed, want a hp over a spell for a qualitative reason rather than a quantitative one.

Last edited:

Shisumo

First Post
I'm of the opinion that a lot of the people who argue about class balance on the Paizo boards are players, not GMs, advocating for their favorite class. I certainly can't think of any DMs who would argue that a spell known is equal to a HP for a sorcerer.

Ken

Given that I was one of the people most involved in arguing the other side, and that I almost exclusively DM, I wouldn't rely on that judgment too strongly.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Agreed. I don't see anyone ever playing a non-human sorcerer now. Hell, the bonus feat makes it attractive enough as it is. I don't mind the powerup if it was across the board for sorcerers, but for humans only, they may as well restrict sorcerer to the human race only.

Wow. Paizo restricted the option to the human race only? That's a real bad idea unless they don't plan to introduce new spell books.

If you were going by core, then this extra option for spells versus hit points might be reasonable.

But given a constant stream of extra spell books, human sorcerers will have a huge advantage. I still remember in 3E constantly looking for ways to get new spells as a sorcerer, especially with the release of the Spell Compendium. If Paizo ever released a book like that, the human option would be far superior to anything else.

I may have to extend that to all races as a option. As an experienced caster, new spells are almost always better than hit points or skill points. As long as you know how to use them in combinations or what enemies they will work best against. Utility spells allow casters to erect powerful defenses while giving up no offensive firepower. Most of the best utility spells are lower level.

I guess this option will preclude Paizo from or make them think twice about releasing new spells. They'll really have to make sure spell combos don't break the game or the wizard doesn't get overshadowed.

pawsplay

Hero
Sorcerer: Add one spell known from the sorcerer spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the sorcerer can cast.

Holy moly!

Which of the following feats would you choose?

Toughness
Benefit: +1 hp/lvl up to level 20, basically

Smart Guy
Benefit: Int treated as 2 points higher for purposes of bonus skill ranks only.

Sorcerer Schmorcer
Benefit: Gain two bonus spells known of every single level of spell you can cast except the highest.

Ok, and for the record... I always considered Extra Spell and Extra Invocation some of the strongest feats. Certainly worth more than 1/20 of Toughness.

EroGaki

First Post
Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide Preview #2 is up! It takes a look at the six new classes.

I am really disappointed with the change to the summoner. The summon monster ability is pretty pointless now; either you have your eidolon, or a speed bump. Hmm, tough choice. Well, I'm gonna have to make a new character now that my halfling summoner is no longer valid.

Other than that vexing nerf, the rest looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to APG more. Of course, I won't be playing a summoner, but meh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads