Savage Pathfinder Pathfinder Adventure Paths Are Coming To Savage Worlds!

Pinnacle Entertainment Group has announced that it will be bringing Paizo's Pathfinder adventurer paths to Savage Worlds, starting with Rise of the Runelords. They will be launching a Kickstarter in January 2021. The Kickstarter includes a core ruleset called Savage Pathfinder, and a Rise of the Runelords boxed set. It’s Thanksgiving here in the United States. For our international...

Pinnacle Entertainment Group has announced that it will be bringing Paizo's Pathfinder adventurer paths to Savage Worlds, starting with Rise of the Runelords. They will be launching a Kickstarter in January 2021.

The Kickstarter includes a core ruleset called Savage Pathfinder, and a Rise of the Runelords boxed set.

127243145_3902632729770774_8928856243244391689_n.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

It’s Thanksgiving here in the United States. For our international friends, that’s a time when we come together as friends and family and tell everyone what we’re thankful for.

Today, Pinnacle Entertainment Group is INCREDIBLY thankful to our good friends at Paizo for letting us play in their amazing world of Golarion, setting of the phenomenally successful Pathfinder Roleplaying Game!

Following the incredible reception we had with Kevin Siembieda’s phenomenal world of Rifts®, we’re bringing Pathfinder’s fantastic Adventure Paths to the Savage Worlds™ system, starting with the best-selling Rise of the Runelords™!

The Kickstarter begins mid-January, 2021, and will feature the Savage Pathfinder core rules, a boxed set with all the usual Savage Worlds accessories, AND the Rise of the Runelords boxed set with all six books of the Adventure Path and other deluxe accessories!

Sir Brennen

Legend
Though I've seen at least one Savaged game that pretty much did try to emulate classes, and I gather Savage Rifts isn't entirely away from that mode.
SW settings often have "Archetypes" which are just example beginning characters - using Edges/Skills from the core rules plus any from the setting - showing how to emulate certain tropes. Many Edges, especially Arcane Backgrounds and Professional Edges, already look like the starting point of classes from other RPGs. So you can build a "wizard", "cleric", "paladin", etc. using just the core rules and not having to do anything special.

Also, a player could take then PC in a completely different direction after using an Archetype as a starting point if they want. Having something that tries to replicate d20 classes as an advancement mechanic would be pretty contrary and restrictive to how SW normally works, so I don't see them doing anything like this. If you have knowledge of an official or licensed setting that does try to emulate classes beyond presenting Archetypes, I'd like to know about it.

Savage Rifts is it's own thing, though. Because of the crazy power levels of characters in that game, even starting ones, it has "Iconic Frameworks". One framework is selected at character creation in addition to the regular rules for a beginning character. It's just a starting package of powers, and after that characters advance as normal.

Given the zero-to-hero nature of PF, I don't see a need to create an additional starting package like that either.

The only thing I can see they might do is introducing setting-specific Edges to represent PF classes. Wizards and Clerics can be created by taking the Arcane Background (Magic) or Arcane Background (Miracles), but they may introduce new ABs for Bard and Sorcerer. (Though Sorcerer could arguably be represented by Arcane Background (Gifted), or even more appropriate for Arcane Background (Magic), and the Wizard might require a new AB instead.)

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm not saying its desirable to import class-like structures into SW; in fact, the other game I referenced that did so I thought it was remarkably lazy design (because they had originally done the game for, if I recall, PF1e). I'm just saying that things like Savage Rifts meant it was jumping to conclusions that they wouldn't do something like it again.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I'm not saying its desirable to import class-like structures into SW; in fact, the other game I referenced that did so I thought it was remarkably lazy design (because they had originally done the game for, if I recall, PF1e). I'm just saying that things like Savage Rifts meant it was jumping to conclusions that they wouldn't do something like it again.
While it's possible, I think it's unlikely. As I said, Rifts was really a special case. I just don't see the need to do anything outside the existing structure of SW to convert PF. There may be some new setting rules, most definitely new Edges and possible new or tweaked skills, but that's probably it.

Sir Brennen

Legend
So with Morris' recent podcast interview with the SPF designers, we have a better idea in how they'll be handling classes. There will basically be an Edge starting characters can take - Wizard, Fighter, etc. - and then each Rank there will be other Edges building off of the initial "class" Edge, simulating PF class progression, though it works more like a Feat tree.

Other than a few more Edges to choose from, sounds like character creation and advancement follow the Savage Worlds core rules. Per the interview, you can even create a character without taking a "class" Edge (though one of the designers says he recommends taking one.)

Remove ads

Remove ads