Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Bestiary - Discussion

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
OK - I'm glancing through my hot-off-the-intarwebs subscriber PDF for a few minutes before I turn in for the night. A few notes before I turn into a pumpkin (and apologies if any of this is old news):

- Aasimar gain +2 CHA, +2 WIS. No ability penalty.
- "Eladrin" are no more; they are called "Azata." Makes sense, since 4E has co-opted the old name.
- Love the art in general, but I really like the centaur, cyclops, balor (scary!), succubus (scary-rawr), dryad (heloo, nurse!), giant eagle (with elven rider!), froghemoth, all the genies... probably no sense continuing to list, but there's a lot of great art in here.
- Demon lords are listed, but not statted up. Same for noted devils.
- Seperate stat blocks for young, adult, and ancient dragons of each color.
- Half-dragons gain +8 STR, +6 CON, +2 INT, +2 CHA and wings, but (as expected) don't have an entry for "half-dragons as characters."
- Linnorms!
- Phoenix! One of my favorites that kind of got overlooked in 3E; now in glorious color.
- The tarrasque nets you 1,638,400 XP. Wow.
- The final 40 pages of appendicies deal with monster creation, monster advancement, a glossary, monsters as PCs (only a column's worth), monster feats (page and a half), monsters by type, CR, and terrain, encounter tables, and monsters by role (interesting addition).

330 pages of good stuff, pretty much one critter per page in full color. Can't wait to see the printed book in a week or less.

D.M.T.

First Post
Paizo.com is down (at least for me). Got the email saying I could download my subscriber copy though. I assume that the servers are all either busy with people downloading that massive tome, or they blew up from the overload.

Serendipity

Explorer
Got our shipping confirmation last night and managed to get the pdf downloaded before the site went down (which is back up now btw). Still going through it. I note that Kytons are no longer devils; in general, a lot of the terms for certain creatures seem to have rolled back to 1e.
I can't complain. :)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
- "Eladrin" are no more; they are called "Azata." Makes sense, since 4E has co-opted the old name.

Thanks for the details! Just a note: Paizo couldn't use eladrin, since WotC never opened it up (there are no "eladrin" in the SRD for ex, just ghaeles and bralanis). Did Paizo make lillends azata, also? I seem to remember that from the listing in the Bonus Bestiary cover.

Xendria

First Post
The only thing I am upset about with the bestiary is the lack of 2 creatures, Illithids and Genasi. I know they probably can't use Genasi but a form of elemental planetouched would've been fantastic. Overall, fantastic artwork and a billion times more useful than the 3E MM. Thanks a bunch Paizo :D

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Any stat or ability changes for the humanoid races? I'm curious about orcs and kobolds in particular.

Kobolds get -4 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON, and a +1 natural armor bonus, amoungst other things.

Orcs get +4 STR, -2 INT, -2 WIS, -2 CHA.

Thanks for the details! Just a note: Paizo couldn't use eladrin, since WotC never opened it up (there are no "eladrin" in the SRD for ex, just ghaeles and bralanis). Did Paizo make lillends azata, also? I seem to remember that from the listing in the Bonus Bestiary cover.

Good catch on the SRD issue. Yes, the lillend is an azata.

Remove ads