• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Bestiary - Discussion

pawsplay

Hero
I mean c'mon...I realize that they get the nice DR, and the angel immunities, which are very good. But imo the stats should match the monster, and I cant fathom why a pit fiend is wiser and more persuasive than a solar.

Just curious.

Well, the Solar does have a higher Diplomacy rating. :)

frankthedm

First Post
Good to see the critters with at will SLAs that should have been always on in 3.5 now are Constant. No more DM’s forgetting about them or wasting precious monster actions turning them on. Also good since the designers now factor in the stats from the abilities like how the high end demons now always have unholy aura active.

Wererat looks more like a warhammer rat ogre. The skulls, the face bandages, the skulls, the replaced limb, the skulls… Keep up the good work.

Ok, that werewolf’s art certainly makes it look like it ought to have a claw attack.

Like the roper‘s art. Glad it is an aberration. Not so glad about the instantaneous, non typed, non magical, non poison & non negative energy stat damage stuck around. Yes, the Str damage being nigh unstoppable is a factor in the critter’s CR, but I wish the mechanics were different. Also the roper, doesn’t seem to actually to latch on anymore. At least no mention occurs if a pulled victim is restricted from just moving away though the strand is described as being strong as an iron chain. Same issue seems to arise with the Cave Fisher.

The Full Plated Gorgon art & description is an interesting take on the critter. So is the “Temporary but becomes permanent if the breath hits you again” way of working the petrifaction. Only thing is, “Can the breath of a different gorgon make the petrifaction permanent?” Read literally it would seem to require the original creature’s breath to set the critter permanently, but I think some might read it otherwise.

Also this temporary petrifaction raises the issues of what can and can’t affect a petrified victim and what are their stats while petrified? Just add hardness 8 to the unconscious victim?

Some more pixel based counter sheets inspired by the pathfinder beasties

Stop by here for more

James Jacobs

Adventurer
So I was wondering James if perhaps you could provide some insight into something that has bugged me since 3.5 came about...why in the bloody hell does the solar always get the stat shaft?

Lets look here...the solar is really probably the top of the top of "normal" outsiders. They have traditionally stood head and shoulders above even pit fiends and balors. I also understand that they get some powerful SLA's and full clerical spellcasting; all good things. What I don't get is why balors are stronger, more dexterous, tougher, smarter, and more charismatic than a solar. And the pit fiends stats are all superior! Every one!

I mean c'mon...I realize that they get the nice DR, and the angel immunities, which are very good. But imo the stats should match the monster, and I cant fathom why a pit fiend is wiser and more persuasive than a solar.

Just curious.

Well... for one thing, a pit fiend IS supposed to be more persuasive than a solar, at least in my book. A solar is a bad-ass angel, sure, but the pit fiend is a bad-ass devil, and devils have always been about the honeyed-words and treacherous promises, after all.

Also, the solar has two more hit dice than the pit fiend. That might not seem like a lot, but it does have some ripple effects when you start applying everything else.

Starsunder

Explorer
Well... for one thing, a pit fiend IS supposed to be more persuasive than a solar, at least in my book. A solar is a bad-ass angel, sure, but the pit fiend is a bad-ass devil, and devils have always been about the honeyed-words and treacherous promises, after all.

Also, the solar has two more hit dice than the pit fiend. That might not seem like a lot, but it does have some ripple effects when you start applying everything else.

Eh, idk. I can see where your coming from with the pit fiend being all treacherous and stuff, but it just rubs me wrong that the solar, two more hit dice and all, has inferior stats in every single statistic compared to a pit fiend and balor (I think the balor has less wisdom, and thats all).

Also, dont get me wrong, its still an improvement over the 3.5 solar by a long shot, I was just expecting the stats to better represent the solars station amongst the outsiders (that being they are top dog, with the demigods and demon lords and archdevils coming next).

Sammael

Adventurer
In my book, the three "top dog" outsiders should be ranked as follows:

Strength: (1) Balor (2) Solar (3) Pit Fiend
Dexterity: (1) Solar (2) Balor (3) Pit Fiend
Constitution: (1) Pit Fiend (2) Balor (3) Solar
Intelligence: (1) Pit Fiend (2) Solar (3) Balor
Wisdom: (1) Solar (2) Balor (3) Pit Fiend
Charisma: (1) Solar (2) Pit Fiend (3) Balor

In total:
Solar has 3 1st places, 2 2nd places, and 1 3rd place
Pit Fiend has 2 1st places, 1 2nd place, and 3 3rd places