Pathfinder for Savage Worlds opinions

I have it and like it. It scratches the D&D itch quite well. I don’t love Golarion as a setting but the mechanics are portable to any setting. Having run Rise of the Runelords in PF1 and reading over it in Savage Pathfinder I think it’s going be a great way to play through the APs.

In my experience once you grok savage worlds it tends to play faster than 5e or any 3.x game. That really allows you to chew through content and actually have a chance to finish an AP in a reasonable amount of time.

I tend to run 3-4 hour sessions, adult schedules, so being able to accomplish more that 1-2 encounters in a single session is really nice.

Hex08

Hero
I'm still flipping through the rules and just reading parts in detail. For those of you who have read it, is the typical SW chase system not included? I didn't see it flipping through the rulebook. Honestly, if it's not there I would be ok with it. The chase system always felt like an unwieldy afterthought of a subsystem to me.

Thourne

Hero
I don't regret purchasing it in the least, but for our table it has to much pathfinder in the rule changes.
We had been hoping for it to be more core swade with lots of setting information and such.

I have it and like it. It scratches the D&D itch quite well. I don’t love Golarion as a setting but the mechanics are portable to any setting. Having run Rise of the Runelords in PF1 and reading over it in Savage Pathfinder I think it’s going be a great way to play through the APs.

In my experience once you grok savage worlds it tends to play faster than 5e or any 3.x game. That really allows you to chew through content and actually have a chance to finish an AP in a reasonable amount of time.

I tend to run 3-4 hour sessions, adult schedules, so being able to accomplish more that 1-2 encounters in a single session is really nice.
Jeebs. How slow.
I find SW to be no faster than 5th ed, as it has it's own foibles. PF can run slow as it has many mini games in its rules. But 1-2 encounters in 4 hours sounds painful to me.

That’s been my experience with 5e or PF1/2. Savage Parhfinder for my table is much, much faster. As always your experience may vary.

I’m not a SW evangelist. It’s not a perfect solution for every genre but it excels as anything high action. You have to be able to embrace stinginess. Non-combat characters have interesting things to do in combat. Dramatic Tasks and Quick Encounters work well and you can get creative with them.

Hex08

Hero
They’ve put the rules into a special ‘chase deck’ of cards instead. Haven’t looked at them yet since my parcel is still somewhere in transit.
I must have missed it in SW Pathfinder, I'll have to look again (or actually read in instead of flipping through and reading random stuff, lol). I was hoping it was not included since the chase rules from both SW Deluxe and Adventure Edition aren't appealing to me.

Retreater

Legend
I must have missed it in SW Pathfinder, I'll have to look again (or actually read in instead of flipping through and reading random stuff, lol). I was hoping it was not included since the chase rules from both SW Deluxe and Adventure Edition aren't appealing to me.
Fortunately(?) the chase rules are so awkwardly grafted into the system that they're easy to ignore.

dbm

Savage!
They aren’t in the book; they’ve created a special deck of cards just for chases. If you have the box set I think it should include that.

Hex08

Hero
They aren’t in the book; they’ve created a special deck of cards just for chases. If you have the box set I think it should include that.
Ah, I didn't get the boxed set so no chase cards for me. I guess now I have no choice but to ignore a part of SW I didn't like anyway :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases