• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder-ized Dark Sun?

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
I'm currently in the process of converting my 4e Dark Sun game to Pathfinder, and I've run across a pretty big snag - monsters. Specifically, Athas-exclusive monsters - braxat, gaj, jhakars, etc.

I'm familiar with (and have downloaded) Athas.org 3.0 bestiary, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has statted out some Athasian monsters PF-style. Or, how easy will it be to up-convert Athas.org's 3.0 monsters to PF? I know I'd at least need CMD and CMB numbers for them, as well as tossing in some additional feats, but what else would I be missing on a 3.0-compatible monster?

Is_907

First Post
Paizo has guidelines in the Core Rulebook (and in a separate PDF online) on how to convert monsters from 3.0/3.5 to PF... I'd just do that.

I haven't seen any specific DarkSun/Pathfinder resources floating around but maybe someone else has?

Big changes to note:

Undead d8 for hit die, medium BAB (only Fey have a poor BAB now) and Cha for bonus hit points
Outsiders have d10 hit die
Elementals are now an outsider sub-type
Giants are sub-type of humanoid now
Constructs fast BAB
Monstrous Humanoids d10 hit die

SteelDraco

First Post
You'll need a psionics system to do Dark Sun effectively - have you looked at Psionics Unleashed? It's a Pathfinder conversion of the 3.5 Expanded Psionics Handbook system. I've not looked at in any depth, so I can't really comment on it - just something to be aware of.

Another consideration is defiling and preserving - how will they work mechanically? As I remember, 4e Dark Sun gave all arcane casters the option to enhance damaging spells through defiling. That'd be one option. I've considered making preservers take a move action to gather magical energy from their environment before they cast any spells, but giving all arcane casters the option of defiling by gathering energy quickly, skipping this action but defiling the area.

The third thing I'd consider is why anyone would bother learning arcane magic. With a balanced psionics system, they are theoretically on even footing. Why, then, bother? Arcane magic is reviled on Athas, but if a psion and wizard on even footing, why go that route instead of learning the Way?

Starbuck_II

First Post
The third thing I'd consider is why anyone would bother learning arcane magic. With a balanced psionics system, they are theoretically on even footing. Why, then, bother? Arcane magic is reviled on Athas, but if a psion and wizard on even footing, why go that route instead of learning the Way?

Same reason in 3.5, Arcane Magic has more goodies (types of spells, etc) compared to Psionics. Plus, you ignore needing a spellbook or having a weird bloodline (Sorceror)

Crothian

First Post
I think if you want to do conversion it might be easier to go from the 2e material to the Pathfinder/3e stuff. I do like that Ultimate Combat has some great options that fit in perfectly with Darksun.

SteelDraco

First Post
Same reason in 3.5, Arcane Magic has more goodies (types of spells, etc) compared to Psionics. Plus, you ignore needing a spellbook or having a weird bloodline (Sorceror)

But would that be the case in a setting with a lower level of arcane magic? There's a plethora of options for arcane magic in sourcebooks because that's the default in most settings. It's not the default in DS, though, so I'd think most research would go into psionics.

paradox42

First Post
Use the "Psionics are Different" variant with Dark Sun. That way, Arcane magic is still a dangerous tool to use, but since it's the outlier- and it's not as easy to circumvent as psionics is (since everything is psionic, but only a few things are magical)- that makes it a valuable choice.

Remove ads