• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Pathfinder] Planning on switching to Pathfinder?

Imban

First Post
Yeah, I have to say, 4e = WoW always makes me snicker because the gaming community I'm in greatly prefers 3e... and is also mostly MMORPG fans, with I'd say at least half of us playing WoW. I mean, we have a few 4e fans too, but some of us play Final Fantasy XI too, so...!

Baumi

Adventurer
I'm quite happy with the two 4E (and one Savage Worlds and Ars Magica) Campaigns that I play and GM in and I'm not to found of 3.x anymore (I burn out from most Systems that I played for a few years) so I will not switch to Pathfinder.

But as always, if someone in my groups want to GM it and his Setting-/Campaign-ideas sounds interesting enough then I would play it and most certainly buy at least the PDF.

Dausuul

Legend
Switching, very unlikely. My group plays 4E and is mostly happy with it, and personally I'm hooked on 4E's level of DM support; unless Pathfinder has made huge strides in this direction over 3.5E, there's no way I'd switch to it long-term.

That said, I am quite interested to see what Paizo has done with the system, and I might at some point run a short adventure arc in Pathfinder, just to try it out.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
I don't expect to play or run Pathfinder, and don't know of any groups around here who are keen on it... I may check it out, after reading reviews from those who aren't already convinced. :)

I don't fully expect to play or run 3.5 D&D again for quite a while, but if I do, I think I'd stick with 3.5. Many of my players already have 3.5 PHBs, and the ruleset is more or less free, online. There are also still plenty of electronic tools to support it, even though 4e is the high water mark in that regard.

I think the cost of the game is what would get me, here. It would take a lot of convincing for me to essentially re-buy a rule set I already own. It would take even more convincing for me to try and persuade my players to shell out $50 (or whatever the discounted price is at Amazon) for a book they'd only need half of and for rules they mostly already have. (I really, really prefer any books around this price range to get split into DM and Player books, even if the two books together would cost more. I'm fine spending a few bucks extra in order to save my players a lot of money in the long run.)

-O

Papa-DRB

First Post
Already switched. Have been playing the BETA rules since they first came out, and we started the Rise of the Rune Lords campaign (I am DM).

Mottokrosh

First Post
I've been running a 4E game since the edition's release, but we're switching that to Pathfinder, possibly as soon as our next session.

The second game I play in is approaching the end of a long-running 3.5 game. When that's done, we're playing Second Darkness, also with the Pathfinder rules.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
I think the cost of the game is what would get me, here. It would take a lot of convincing for me to essentially re-buy a rule set I already own. It would take even more convincing for me to try and persuade my players to shell out $50 (or whatever the discounted price is at Amazon) for a book they'd only need half of and for rules they mostly already have.

Don't forget about the $10 PDF. The low cost of entry makes it easier for your players to take a look, and they might really like what they see.

Also, my book came yesterday, and after going through it a couple times, I can assure you that purchasing the PFRPG is not re-buying 3.5. Its buying an improvement.

Obryn

Hero
Don't forget about the $10 PDF. The low cost of entry makes it easier for your players to take a look, and they might really like what they see.
I see what you're saying, but for me and for most folks I game with, that $10 PDF would be an additional cost above & beyond the book's cost, and not any kind of replacement. I don't think PDFs are in any way replacements for physical books at the table. (They're dandy away from the table, but when we're talking 3.5, I care a lot more about at-table use, especially for spell descriptions and the like.)

Also, my book came yesterday, and after going through it a couple times, I can assure you that purchasing the PFRPG is not re-buying 3.5. Its buying an improvement.
Well, that rocks! I have no doubt it's an outstanding and well-made game.

As I said, though, this is all theoretical - we're pleased as punch with 4e right now, and it's getting better for us instead of worse. If we feel like a change of pace in the future, PFRPG is a possibility, but IMO 3.5 is more likely.

-O

Voadam

Legend
I run 2 house ruled 3.5 games and 1 house ruled pathfinder beta game (all with some 4eisms). I expect to keep the two 3.5 games as they are but allowing pathfinder spells, classes, feats, and items as options. Retconning skills in an ongoing game I'm hesitant to do.

I expect to eventually get the pathfinder pdf and tome of secrets pdf and might switch my beta game to full pathfinder. I definitely like the new dispel magic for example and the elimination of rage points.

If I started a new game it would probably be either pathfinder beta or full pathfinder, I really like the PF condensed skill list and changes to spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads