• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Preview #2: Fighter

Roman

First Post
Here are the stats:

Valeros
Male human fighter 14
NG Medium humanoid
Init +5; Senses Perception +13
DEFENSE
AC 28, touch 17, flat-footed 23; (+10 armor, +2 deflection, +5 Dex, +1 shield)
hp 137 (14d10+56)
Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +3 (+7 against fear)
Resist fire 10
OFFENSE
Spd 30 ft.
Melee +3 keen longsword +23/+18/+13 (1d8+13/17–20), +2 frost shortsword +20/+15/+10 (1d6+7 plus 1d6 cold/19–20)
Ranged +1 flaming composite shortbow +20/+15/+10 (1d6+4 plus 1d6 fire/x3)
STATISTICS
Str 16, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 10
Base Atk +14; CMB +17; CMD 34
Feats Combat Expertise, Double Slice, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Weapon Focus (longsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (longsword), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Vital Strike, Power Attack, Toughness, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Rend, Vital Strike, Weapon Focus (longsword, shortsword), Weapon Specialization (longsword)
Skills Climb +20, Intimidate +17, Perception +13, Ride +22, Swim +20
Languages Common, Halfling
SQ armor training +3, bravery +4, weapon training (heavy blades +3, light blades +2, close +1)
Combat Gear necklace of fireballs (type V), potion of cure serious wounds (3), potion of fly, potion of heroism, rod of flame extinguishing; Other Gear bag of holding (type II), +4 fire resistant light fortification breastplate, +1 flaming composite shortbow (+3 Str), +2 frost short sword, belt of physical perfection +2, boots of levitation, +3 keen longsword, periapt of wound closure, ring of protection +2, ring of the ram

For the rest of the preview go and read the blog: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog

How were his skills determined? Its doesnt appear to be 2 per level. Iit doesnt appear there is a general athletics skill, which is a bummer, particularly since they have perception. I hate the skill tax just to do basic "action hero" type stuff (jump, climb, etc).

He also seems to have separate feats for longsword and shortsword, another disappointment, as I was hoping towards a more unified weapon based feat system to avoid such a sink. The guy would seriously be better off just using 2 short swords. I note his weapon training class feature is based off category (heavy and light). To me at least, it seems that the feats should have been as well.

I'm not seeing a huge improvement in his fighting capability to make up for being nearly useless outside of combat compared to a caster with access to a horde of utility spells to basically wreck plots and solve most problems with a scroll. Inexplicably, he's actually nerfed in strength in some ways (power attack limit, expertise). Melee combatants still require a full round action to do their thing, another letdown.

I started a Golarion game with 4th edition rules, due to wanting to try the system and general 3rd edition burnout. It may end up remaining that way. I'm *really* digging their fluff, and was hoping that Pathfinder would go far enough to fixing my issues with 3rd edition. Comparing him to Seoni next week might give me a better picture however.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I'm very disappointed by the skills, both by the failure to redivide Perception (into active and a passive modes) and by the failure to combine the athletic skills.

I'm actually surprised by how disappointed I am. I hope these non-changes aren't indicative of the rest of the rules.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm very disappointed by the skills, both by the failure to redivide Perception (into active and a passive modes) and by the failure to combine the athletic skills.

Yep, it is to me pretty mind boggling that a "super" skill like perception can cohabit in the same game system with specialized skills like jump and swim... this last one ranks slightly above use rope in terms of usefulness.

I was hoping they had levelled out the saves, at 14th level the difference between fort and will is a big problem. Target that fighters will will charm or whatever by a 14th level caster and he is in trouble!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
How were his skills determined? Its doesnt appear to be 2 per level.

If you take out the +3 for the class skills and the stat bonus, he has 5 skills with 14 ranks each. My guess is 2 for being a fighter, 1 for intelligence, 1 for being a human and 1 for the favored class or something like that.

If you take out the +3 for the class skills and the stat bonus, he has 5 skills with 14 ranks each. My guess is 2 for being a fighter, 1 for intelligence, 1 for being a human and 1 for the favored class or something like that.

Bleh. I was hoping he got 4 per level. There's no particularly good excuse for not throwing them that minor bone for non-combat effectiveness.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I was hoping they had levelled out the saves, at 14th level the difference between fort and will is a big problem. Target that fighters will will charm or whatever by a 14th level caster and he is in trouble!

I dont understand the need to level out the saves at all. If he's a fighter then he's good at being tough and fighting. Everything else not so much. I think this iconic is designed to be the typical (baseline) fighter. I've always worked under the assumption that the PC's are a team and each had their strengths which covered up for another members weaknesses.

I think they kept the save progression from the Beta (Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +4 (-1 for a 8 WIS) ).

I do agree that they could have compounded Climb and Swim into Athletics, but that's a minor issue for me. I think they reversed the changes from the beta because so many people screamed bloody murder that it was soooooo incompatible with baseline 3.5. Which is sad because I liked alot of the changes in the Beta (except for the skill system, but only because I still want to run 3.5 adventures and rejiggering the skills for the Beta would have been one of the few things that would have been a pain in the butt).

If Jason and crew went too far back in the other direction, I'll probably wind up using the Beta as my main rulebook.

Hi all! :)

I haven't been following the 'Road to Pathfinder'. But I would have anticipated one of the goals was simplifying things. To that end why didn't they simplify iterative attacks so that you have a single given attack bonus, and if you want to make two attacks, you take a -5 penalty to hit with both. Want to make three attacks, then its a -10 penalty with all three, etc. It also goes someway to alleviating the (3.5) disparity between martial and spellcaster classes in that at high level, fighters could have maybe 5 or 6 attacks, but the chances are those attacks will only hit 'mooks'.

Similarly they could invert Power Attack so that when a Fighter would have had three iterative attacks (for example); instead of taking three attacks at their normal damage, they could choose to take two attacks dealing +5 damage, or one attack dealing +10 damage.

This way its not only simpler, but also adds a slight tactical aspect.

Incidently, here is my take on revising the Fighter Class from about two years ago.

http://www.immortalshandbook.com/sermon6a.htm

Last edited:

The 'levelling of saves' I was hoping was not to the same extent as 4E but more than that preview shows. OK he has got a below average WIS but against a caster with 18 in the ability score and a 7th level spell he has to roll an 18 or higher if it is a will save and 9 of higher if a fort, IIRC it has been a year since I played 3E now;). I is just too much difference for me but then again I maybe in the minority as I am playing 4E! :)

Remove ads