Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder + Psionics

Kvantum

First Post
Please no! Make psionics different to magic!
Uh, no. Even as much as some of us old school psi fans may like the idea, in practice it's just a mess to try and integrate an entirely different system into most games. Psionics and magic have to be able to effect one another.

Shisumo

First Post
Uh, no. Even as much as some of us old school psi fans may like the idea, in practice it's just a mess to try and integrate an entirely different system into most games. Psionics and magic have to be able to effect one another.
There's also the basic issue psionics has always had, which is that if you want to use it in other material, you either a) have to assume the players/GMs have access to that material, reducing your possible customer base, or b) reprint everything relevant in the book you're publishing now. Paizo's angle on that problem elsewhere (such as with the APG options) has been to reprint, in particular because they are still, first and foremost, an adventure publisher. That means the rules differences between psionics and magic need to be small enough that they can fit easily into a statblock, and that means no points-based pseudo-spontaneous magic-but-not system.

pawsplay

Hero

I don't really agree. How is having psionic resistance or not any diffferent than SR versus evil spells, or good spells? Do fighters and wizards use the same systems? etc. As along as the effects themselves fit within a certain band of numbers, it should work fine.

And there is no reason you can't have psionic powers that dispel spells or spells that dispel magic, if you want them. Dispel psionics looks exactly like dispel magic, except it's resisted by manifester level, and it's, oh, one level higher for arcane and divine casters. Done.

If you want, you can "Palladium-ize" the world, granting psionic resistance or even psionic templates to dragons and demons. Or you can not; powerful creatures already have considerable resistances just based on their saves.

"I have a 1% chance to molecular disrupt Demogorgon" is indeed a problem, but there's not really anything I know of that works like that in 3.0 or 3.5 psionics.

Xyxox

Hero
Has anybody simply tried taking the 3.5e Psionic classes and converting them per the conversion document for Pathfinder?

Philosopher

First Post
I don't really agree. How is having psionic resistance or not any diffferent than SR versus evil spells, or good spells? Do fighters and wizards use the same systems? etc. As along as the effects themselves fit within a certain band of numbers, it should work fine.

And there is no reason you can't have psionic powers that dispel spells or spells that dispel magic, if you want them. Dispel psionics looks exactly like dispel magic, except it's resisted by manifester level, and it's, oh, one level higher for arcane and divine casters. Done.

If psionic resistance functions just like spell resistance, then there is no need to have psionic resistance. It's just needless complexity. Just as we don't need arcane resistance and divine resistance, we don't need psionic resistance. Psions just need to access the magic differently with different options.

Fighters and wizards use different systems, but that's because they do completely different things. Fighters don't need to bypass spell resistance with their swords. A better comparison would be between fighters and barbarians. They fight in different ways. One primarily uses feats, the other primarily uses rage powers. You don't need a new combat system that uses "rage AC" and "base rage attack bonus" just because the barbarian fights differently than the fighter. Both use the same combat system.

pawsplay

Hero
If psionic resistance functions just like spell resistance, then there is no need to have psionic resistance. It's just needless complexity. Just as we don't need arcane resistance and divine resistance, we don't need psionic resistance. Psions just need to access the magic differently with different options.

Actually, as I intimidated above, we already do have arcane and divine resistance, along with numerous other kinds of resistance. For instance, holy aura offers "spell resistance 25 against evil spells and spells cast by evil creatures." I suppose you could always grant "spell resistance 25 against psionic spells and spells cast by psionic creatures." Is that less complex than "psionic resistance 25?"

Remove ads