• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder + Psionics

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm considering running a game in PF, but I intend to include some stuff from non-PF sources, including psionics from XPH and CompPsi...possibly Hyperconscious.

However, I'm wondering about balance. Some of the PF classes seem a bit more powerful and/or efficient, and I know that the psi classes range from the top of 3.5's scale towards the bottom, according to optimizers. While I don't necessarily agree with such sentiments, I am curious as to what tweeks those who have incorporated 3.5 psi into their PF games have done.

For instance, I wouldn't be surprised to find most people making the SoulKnife a full BAB class, giving it a few powers (similar to what happens in Hyperconscious), or even melding it with another class.

So, what have pro-psi PF DMs & players out there done?

Skeld

First Post
After a few quick updates (mostly to classes: things like the PF skill system and bumping up HD), you should be good to go.

3.5 psionics added to Pathfinder will be about as balanced as they were in a regular 3.5 game. Possibly a bit better balanced since PF upped the power slightly.

Good luck; happy gaming!

-Skeld

pawsplay

Hero
Most of the classes were a little on the strong side, soulknife a little on the weak. You could probably use the old psionic classes mostly as is, although psions should probably get a 0 pp "zot" ability to get parity with the revisions to arcane classes.

Soulknife should either get full BAB, or psychic strike needs to be updated to do damage more in line with sneak attack or channel energy.

Shisumo

First Post
Are there any plans for an official Pathfinder psionics book at some point?
Plans, yes... but not hard and fast ones. Paizo has said on several occasions that they are interested in a Pathfinder psionics book at some point, but it's not likely to look much like the 3.5 psionics stuff (it will probably Vancian, for example), and they're still just kicking ideas around. It's at least a couple years away, if not more.

Dark Mistress

First Post
As Shisumo said they mostly James has talked about it. Though he has said their would be major changes to how they currently work in 3.5 when Paizo does it. They have not said when other than to say it won't be this year or next. So 2012 would be the soonest.

Dreamscarred is doing a update of the 3.5 rules. A lot of it is up for play test and it looks pretty well done, from what little I have looked. If you like the old psionic rules then I think you should be checking out Dreamscarred.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Plans, yes... but not hard and fast ones. Paizo has said on several occasions that they are interested in a Pathfinder psionics book at some point, but it's not likely to look much like the 3.5 psionics stuff (it will probably Vancian, for example), and they're still just kicking ideas around. It's at least a couple years away, if not more.

Oohh... I'd be quite happy with a Vancian system actually. Thanks for the info.

Remove ads