• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG Core Book - Cover Posted

Klaus

First Post
Behold the power of art direction! Eh, just confirms my general opinion: 4E has a lot of awesome artists but a weird art direction that pushes them into a bit gaudy and comic-style colours and poses.

Cheers, LT.
I think I found out why the red dragon is more mobile: it is facing right, so to us who read from left to right, he seems to be moving towards the characters. The green dragon, OTOH, seems just poised, because he stops our eyes from moving.

It's the same reason why The Flash is usually drawn running from left to right.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I think I found out why the red dragon is more mobile: it is facing right, so to us who read from left to right, he seems to be moving towards the characters. The green dragon, OTOH, seems just poised, because he stops our eyes from moving.

It's the same reason why The Flash is usually drawn running from left to right.
That's an interesting observation. Or insight, more to the point. 'Course, I'll never look at a piece of art the same again. :mad:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Another significant difference is that the character sheet cover art order probably asked Wayne to depict four characters, which meant he put significant "art time" into background characters. That also led to a more complicated (and less "in your face") composition, which doesn't help.

I like both covers, though I am biased toward the Pathfinder one. :)

--Erik

Klaus

First Post
I like both covers, though I am biased toward the Pathfinder one. :)
No kiddin'! ;)

I'll add another thing I noticed: the Pathfinder cover has more depth, because both the dragon and the fighter are foreshortened, as opposed to being flat images. It's tricky, but when done well (like WAR usually does), it really enhances a picture.

AND the Character Sheet piece has a very bright background, while the Pathfinder one is more subdued. This makes the former become more "flat", while the latter helps the focus elements (dragon, fighter and sorceror) "jump out" more.

All in all, well done!

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Some keen keen pictures there!

I don't know why the "nose booger" on the Red doesn't bother me as much as it does on the Green. Maybe it's the coloration, the angle, the shape...the Red's looks like a rhino horn, the Green's looks like a demure little toothpick he wedged up his snout. :)

And the Bestiary picture made my pulse quicken a bit. That's stellar! I WANT A HIGH-QUALITY POSTER OF THAT!

Remember, Paizo, you bought the art! PLASTER EVERYTHING WITH IT! :)

Remove ads