• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
That's because penning the movie based on a comic storyline is simply good business. It's a ready-made storyline that has already been tested on an audience (via its comic publication) in such a way that the guys in charge know the story is solid (they know which of their comics was most popular and can use that information to determine which stories get told in movie form). It's also a way of catering to your hardcore fanbase without losing mass-market appeal; the mass-market doesn't care about the comic book story lines one way or the other, but the hardcore enjoy seeing something they've read about recreated on the big screen.

Exactly. And as I said, it's possible they could stop doing that, end the comics and base it solidly on the movies, but D&D has no such alternate base.

The source of your inspiration doesn't necessarily define your business model.

I don't see where that fits into this conversation at all. You've just said that the comics are the base for the movies and it makes a difference for them. I'm saying that the RPG is the base for all the other D&D stuff, and none of it has the creative stream or the hardcore fan base to be the base for the D&D brand. Without the RPG, the D&D brand becomes a generic fantasy term and evaporates.

Pentius

First Post
So a tacit insult and some self boosting.

"Huh, it had been a few days since I'd heard a Pathfinder fan celebrating the imagined failure of a game they don't play.

I'd been starting to think that maybe they'd cleaned up their act."

That clearly implies that Pathfinder fans need to clean up their act. It clearly assigns group blame to Pathfinder fans.

Here's an exercise for you: replace "Pathfinder fan" with "black person" or "woman".

Then don't assert it. If you really don't care, then don't mention it. Claiming in a thread about whether or not Pathfinder had better sales that D&D obviously won is obnoxious.

That frequently doesn't work. Many politicians have found out that no matter how much you clarify "segregation forever!", your anti-segregation voters still don't get that you didn't really mean anything by it. When you've said something offensive, you can "clarify" it as much as you want, it still won't mollify the other people. Sometimes the way you take responsibility is to accept that you said what you said.

And here's Dannager ordering people around; no doubt he'll claim that the form of the words negates the meaning of them.

Alright, I've seen your behavior in a few discussions now. So tell me, Profsilaes, do you ever take the words of someone who prefers a different game than you at face value? Do you ever accept it when you're told someone didn't mean insult? Do ever see Dannager's words in any light other than the worst? If not, I can happily put you on my rather short ignore list. but, I feel it's worth saying, the most devout anti-4e poster, imo/ime, on these boards is [MENTION=6957]TheAuldGrump[/MENTION]. And he and I, we get along, because he dislikes the game, not the players. I respect that guy, despite our differences, because he is civil, and I damn well respect civil. Can you hold to that standard?

Last edited:

prosfilaes

Adventurer
If you say so.

You're rather good about being extremely rude while coaching it in the language of civility.

I'm done trying to convince you otherwise.

I know from the start that you wouldn't bother listening to what I had to say.

It's clear that other people understood exactly what I was saying.

Again, it's an old line. When you (an X) make a comment about Y's, and a Y takes offense, you can often find a fellow X buddy to back you up. Thus clearly the Y was out of line in taking offense.

Pentius

First Post
Again, it's an old line. When you (an X) make a comment about Y's, and a Y takes offense, you can often find a fellow X buddy to back you up. Thus clearly the Y was out of line in taking offense.

Dannager is an X. He has taken other X's to task for insulting Y's before. Do you not get this?

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Alright, I've seen your behavior in a few discussions now. So tell me, Profsilaes, do you ever take the words of someone who prefers a different game than you at face value?

I try to. I argue; it gets away from me frequently. I apologize for the fierce defense of things that didn't deserve it. I apologize for not being able to just let things drop when they need to be dropped.

Do you ever accept it when you're told someone didn't mean insult?
Sometimes. It works best when it comes with a sincere apology for giving insult, and it works worst when it comes with outrage that someone would interpret them that way.

Do ever see Dannager's words in any light other than the worst?
I don't like Dannager. "If you say so." is a passive-aggressive response that grates. It would grate from anyone. The fact that he's willing to argue here, post after post, but not willing to put his cards on the table, the fact that he gives orders, that fact that he seems to get personal quickly.

And he and I, we get along, because he dislikes the game, not the players.
I don't dislike the players and I try to be civil.

Dannager is an X. He has taken other X's to task for insulting Y's before. Do you not get this?

I get it. I don't see how it's relevant. Frankly, it's moot; I didn't know before we had ignore lists, and given the outcome of this thread, it's probably best that I use mine.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Alright, I've seen your behavior in a few discussions now. So tell me, Profsilaes, do you ever take the words of someone who prefers a different game than you at face value? Do you ever accept it when you're told someone didn't mean insult? Do ever see Dannager's words in any light other than the worst? If not, I can happily put you on my rather short ignore list. but, I feel it's worth saying, the most devout anti-4e poster, imo/ime, on these boards is [MENTION=6957]TheAuldGrump[/MENTION]. And he and I, we get along, because he dislikes the game, not the players. I respect that guy, despite our differences, because he is civil, and I damn well respect civil. Can you hold to that standard?
I am not always civil, I'm afraid. There are some folks who can make me hackle. :(

But there are also folks that I enjoy arguing/disagreeing with. I agree, civility makes for a more enjoyable experience, even when it is confrontational.

The Auld Grump

Pentius

First Post
I get it. I don't see how it's relevant. Frankly, it's moot; I didn't know before we had ignore lists, and given the outcome of this thread, it's probably best that I use mine.

I do see the relevance. Hell, if it weren't for the mods, there are people I'd rip into, and often. I am a DICK. But I do PbP here. I owe it to my fellow players not to be banned. I'm young, just 24 years old, and hot-heated all get-out. But I recognize that I need to keep a certain level of civility for them. So yeah, if we can't get along without the lists, it's best we put each other on those lists. I'll be putting you on mine soon enough. Still, it saddens me, since I enjoy The auld grump's posts, and like I said, no one is more adamant than he, just more uncivil.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I am not using any criteria. I would just like to THINK that active roleplayers are around 1% of the US population. Lets say 3 million. These subscriptions include our friends from over seas, so I would find it a stretch to estimate 3 million people play pen and paper RPGs.

I don't see it. Looking locally, that would mean 10,000 roleplayers in the Vegas Valley--which is served by one game store. There's not the reaction on Meetup that I would expect from 10,000 roleplayers, either.

Interestingly enough, for the small town I grew up in, population 5,000, with another couple thousand in the local area, I think I have a good handle on the number of active roleplayers. I'm going with 20+-5. (Hmm; that's assuming there's no gamers hidden away at the local college; none of them came to the game store when it was open a decade ago, but...) (It did see protests and discussion of passing a law against D&D when the (long closed) game shop opened in '95; so did the residuals of Satanic Panic hurt or help?) That's 1/3 to 1/2 a percent. Extrapolated wildly, that gives between 1 and 1.5 million American roleplayers.

That's higher than I would have expected from Vegas, but it sort of smells right.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

Some of you need to take a break - at least from responding to each other, probably from this (and related) topics. I'm going to strongly suggest you take it voluntarily.

Meanwhile, it is clear this thread isn't going anywhere useful fast. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads