• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I was checking out the RPG books in Powell's yesterday, when I saw something that gave me pause. Near the Pathfinder display, there was a hand-written flier claiming that "Pathfinder has outpaced 4th Edition D&D to become the best-selling fantasy RPG in the industry." It was presumably written and posted by a sales clerk, to promote their collection of Pathfinder books.

Then I noticed that someone had written "Citation Needed" on a Post-It note and stuck it next to the flier, and that made me chuckle. I imagined a bunch of ENWorlders lurking around the RPG section of Powell's, waging a silent edition war with Post-It notes.

Anyway. Does anybody know if this is true? Not that it matters; my gaming group is still quite happy playing Three-Five. I'm just curious.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
...and doesn't include DDI, WotC's sales through Amazon, WotC direct distribution to stores, or any other sales info WotC doesnt share with anyone

Nor Paizo's subscription-based sales. In both cases, these are probably the primary way in which the respective games make their money.

Pathfinder is doing phenomenally well, given the size of the company. D&D is probably not doing as well, again given the size of the company. But if D&D were run by anyone other than Hasbro, it would be a runaway success.

As long as both are doing well enough to keep going, and are pleasing their respective fans, does it really matter?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Anyway. Does anybody know if this is true? Not that it matters; my gaming group is still quite happy playing Three-Five. I'm just curious.
I think the technically correct answer is "no, nobody knows if this is true".

I say this because only WotC has completely accurate information about 4e sales, and only Paizo has completely accurate information about Pathfinder sales.

I am by no means an authority on this issue, but the following is my understanding of the situation:

• ICv2 publishes quarterly charts on RPG sales. In Q2 2011, their chart indicated that sales of Pathfinder exceeded those of D&D4e for the first time.
  • ICv2's chart is based on "interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers". As far as I can tell, they are not based on actual sales figures of any sort.
  • ICv2's chart reflects only sales made via the "hobby channel". My understanding is that this excludes some significant sales channels such as Amazon.
  • Paizo have reported, independently of ICv2, that the information available to them also indicates that sales of Pathfinder products are stronger than the sales of any other RPG. (I have not investigated the basis for Paizo's claims.)
  • As far as I can tell, neither ICv2's claims nor Paizo's claims take into account sales of DDI subscriptions. ICv2's claim also does not take into account PDF sales of Pathfinder products.

Given this, I think it is safe to say only this: "There is some indication that print sales of Pathfinder products are exceeding those of D&D4e, at least for sales made via the hobby channel".

Looking at my bulging shelves, I can add a personal observation that both Paizo and WotC are getting plenty of my money. Paizo is getting slightly more of my money than WotC at the moment, but that's only because WotC's release schedule has been lighter than usual over the last six to nine months. I'm happy that I'm getting some great products from both companies. My wallet isn't, and secretly hopes that both companies move into, say, Needlecraft spin offs, instead of producing things I want. I have carefully shielded my wallet from the news that both Paizo and WotC have new lines of pre-painted miniatures in the works, to prevent it from openly rebelling. On the plus side, I still have a number of organs left to flog on the black market to support my RPG spending habits.

Pentius

First Post
As long as both are doing well enough to keep going, and are pleasing their respective fans, does it really matter?

Not reall-er, I mean, yes of course! Only my preferred game is allowed to do well! Other people, you all need to stop liking things I don't like!

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
For posting at the game store...

Attachments

• Edition War post it note.jpg
    Edition War post it note.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 401

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads