• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Society vs. Living Forgotten Realms

Twowolves

Explorer
Im a noob when it comes to Pathfinder. Ive played maybe 5 modules but was always a little disappointed that the adventures were not spread geographically more far and wide. If anyone here has read the Golarion setting book they will know that there are some truly unique and interesting places there, yet the modules I played at least stuck close to the 'known' areas.

I have only played in a couple dozen or so PFS mods, but in them my character has been from the Lands of the Linorm Kings/Irresen (frozen arctic) to Jalmeray (India-like colony in the tropics) to the heart of tropical Garund (Africa). Not sure what mods you've played in, but my character has been all over the inner sea in only a handfull of scenarios.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I've played in and run a ton of Living Forgotten Realms games. It's true that there's no official Wizards of the Coast support for it any more, but that hasn't bothered our store in the slightest. The community support is just fine.

As you said, there are TONS of existing LFR adventures that you can download completely for free. I do strongly recommend updating older adventures to use post-Monster Manual 3 damage expressions for the monsters (otherwise, they're uniformly cakewalks unless the PCs do something really dumb).

Not every adventure is a gem, but a good DM can make any of them fun. And hey, they're free! If you read through one and don't like it, pick a different one instead.

I'm sure Pathfinder Society modules are awesome, too, but I'm only playing in my first Pathfinder campaign at the moment and it's not PFS, so I can't speak intelligently about it yet.

If you're trying to do something to help a friend and the friend is already having good sales success with LFR and you prefer the ease of running 4e anyway, LFR is probably going to be better for you. But as others said, if there's already someone in your area who can help coordinate PFS events, by all means reach out to them! The best option is to offer both PFS and LFR, of course. My local store does, and it sounds like it's working well for them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads