• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Pathfinder] Software Support?

ruemere

Adventurer
Honestly, I wouldn't use a character generator on my phone...I'd rather have the print out...

I thought pcgen said by 2 weeks ago they'd have some info...

The herolab one is nice, but the program itself is a little expensive ($30 for the initial system, $20 for each additional system you want), which is what keeps me from going to it.

PCGen: links to applicatation and 2nd release of Pathfinder RPG.

Make sure you have latest version of Java first.
Download complete version of the generator and dataset, install the application (or unpack .zip version) anywhere (just not into \Program Files), correct settings a little (just make sure you know where the application stores character files and exports character sheets), unpack dataset contents into application folder (preserve paths), run the application, set gamemode (Pathfinder) and you're done.

There are still rough edges waiting to be polished, however it is possible to create working characters.

Regards,
Ruemere

Johnny Angel

Explorer
Now I'm torn, because I've used Johnny Angel's sCore sheet all through the Beta and been very pleased with it too. His work has never owed anyone any apologies.
Well, I certainly won't be jealous if you make the switch. Back in the days of 3.5, I used to use HeroForge to generate my character sheet and then tape the weapon block from E-Tools over it. I'm glad to see so many options opening up now -- the more the better.

Anyone know if the guys who do the sCoreGen file have any plans on adding the other character traits from the other adventure paths? I really like this file!
If you're the same guy I've already answered on another forum, I apologize, but the short form is that I would add them, but I don't actually have those sourcebooks.

ruemere

Adventurer
There is an update to PcGen's Pathfinder RPG release (release 3).

From
Get PCGen page download full PCGen file and latest (third) release of Pathfinder RPG files.

Before installing, please read release notes. Also, you're strongly advised to unpack PCGen to a directory of your preference (for example: C:\MyFiles\PCGen or /home/mylogin/pcgen), since default application directories may cause problems for less experienced users (Vista, Windows 7).

Regards,
Ruemere

Zaister

Explorer
There is an update to PcGen's Pathfinder RPG release (release 3).

Unfortunately a nasty bug has crawled into this release that makes it impossible to create new ranger or rogue characters and hangs the program if you try. I have fixed the problem, and if you are adventurous enough and don't want to wait around for the next release, you can get a corrected file here. Save that file as

pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_skills_conditional.lst

and copy it into your folder

pcgen/data/alpha/paizo/pathfinder_rpg/pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook

replacing the file of the same name there.

mgehl

First Post
Hero Lab has supported Pathfinder RPG since the official release at Gen
Con, and we've been making regular updates and improvements since then.
Our free demo is available here:
http://wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=downloads

Right now Hero Lab includes the Pathfinder core rulebook. Most of the Council of Thieves adventure path is available, with the rest coming soon. We also allow you to create Pathfinder Society characters, including choosing factions and traits (the traits web supplement is also available).

As well as being a full-featured character creator, Hero Lab has the
following neat features:
* Arcane Familiars, Animal Companions, etc are treated as full heroes,
allowing you to keep track of them just like "real" characters.
* Output your created characters as PDF, HTML, plain text, or BBCode for
posting on websites like ENWorld.
* Integrated editor allows you to easily add classes, races, feats etc, using a simple pick-from-list and fill-in-the-blank interface. To implement more complex behaviors, simple scripts can be written.

* In-Play support lets you use Hero Lab as an electronic character sheet with your laptop or netbook, including keeping track of hit points, special ability uses and item charges. Activate your barbarian's rage ability, and see the effects calculated for you.
* Tactical Console allows GMs to manage encounters between the players
and NPCs, including summarizing skills and combat abilities for quick
reference.
And more! Further details about Pathfinder support for Hero Lab,
including screenshots, can be found here:
http://wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=pathfinder_roleplaying_game
Sample screenshot (more at above URL):
http://wolflair.com/hero_lab/images/pth_classes.png
FREE demo Download link:
http://wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=downloads

If anyone has questions about Hero Lab, ask away - we're happy to answer
them here. :)

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
How easy it is to use Hero Lab for customized games?

Tomorrow I'll tart a Pathfinder game and among the changes, I've collapsed a few skills (e.g. athletics takes the place of climb and swim), I've changed the number of skill points for some classes, excluded shield bonuses from flat footed AC and stuff like that. Can those things be implemented with relative ease?

I have some experience with coding, so I'm OK with writing some scripts, as long as everything is well documented.

mgehl

First Post
How easy it is to use Hero Lab for customized games?

Tomorrow I'll tart a Pathfinder game and among the changes, I've collapsed a few skills (e.g. athletics takes the place of climb and swim), I've changed the number of skill points for some classes, excluded shield bonuses from flat footed AC and stuff like that. Can those things be implemented with relative ease?

I have some experience with coding, so I'm OK with writing some scripts, as long as everything is well documented.

Adding the new skill would be very simple - a couple of blanks to fill in in the editor. What's going to be difficult is to find every class, race, magic item, etc. that uses climb and/or swim and replace the code/text with athletics. On the other hand, a group of players should only end up using a dozen things that have to be changed, so it should be managable to fix only what you need to. The editor is also designed to be able to apply its changes to the character you've loaded, so you'll be able to create the replacement version of the thing only once you know you need it.

Changing the skill points of a class is something that can be done with fill-in-the-blanks in the editor - it wouldn't even require coding.

Removing the shield AC from the flat-footed AC would require some scripting. The script itself would be one line, although timing would be critical, since you have to fit it between when the shield AC is calculated and when the AC is used elsewhere. Ask me again, once you've practiced editing in HL with your other changes and I'll tell you how to go about making that change.

Remove ads