[Pathfinder] The Fog of War

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The town council of Feldspar has hired you to investigate frightening goings-on that have closed mining operations. The disturbances started with strange noises and shouts in an unknown tongue. The source of these sounds could not be determined. A few days ago, the situation went from eerie to deadly. Four miners were found slain, their bodies punctured and bruised repeatedly in a most horrible fashion. The cause of the injuries remains a mystery, although one of the town healers did extract several lumps of grayish metal from various punctures.

Found near one of the bodies was the only other clue, one that raises more questions than answers, namely a dagger, the hilt of which is emblazoned with a peculiar sign:

mark-chance-albums-mlc-s-pix-picture501-dagger-hilt.jpg

Rested and equipped, you have arrived at the mine just outside Feldspar. The imposing Dragon's Teeth foothills dominate the view. At the moment, at least, all is quiet. The path down into the mine awaits.

With map in hand, Piedra, Jon, Sam, and Mellisande approach the mine entrance. Nothing seems amiss at first, but then the numerous hastily dropped tools become apparent. Near the entrance is a mine car full of ore. According to the map, the area in which the slain miners were found isn't too far.

Exercising all due caution, the adventurers press on. More signs of hasty departure are visible: tools, a broken lantern, a moldy half crust of bread. In short order, the map leads the quartet to the scene of the murder.

Piedra notices at once several strange pockmarks in the cavern walls, as if something had chipped out the stone at random. There are several blotches of dried blood on the floor and splatters on the walls. No other points of egress from area can be seen: one way in, one way out.

"Brr. Did it just get colder in here?" Jon says, his breath billowing into white mist.

Andor

First Post
"Brr. Did it just get colder in here?" Jon says, his breath billowing into white mist.

"It's always chilly in the mines, away from Iomedea's light." notes Sam absently, one hand stroking the silver coated monkey on his shoulder. He wanders about the room, not touching anything, trying to find something that let's him get a handle on what happened here.

kinem

Adventurer
Jon looks for clues, moving slowly and carefully around the scene.

"Just thinking out loud here, but I suspect we may be dealing with cultists in some long-term scheme to summon their dark master. It's clear that robbery was not the motive. The killers probably knocked out the miners with saps or magic, made the odd wounds with a thin and pointed implement, and pushed the bits of metal inside to complete some horrid ritual."

ooc: take 20 to search the area (perception 24)

Shayuri

First Post
Mellisande saunters to the middle of the chamber and peers around. She shivers a little and waves her hand through the dissipating cloud her breath makes.

"I bet there's magic in the air here," she opines. Then, to prove the point, the gnome concentrates on subtle senses beyond eyes, ears and nose and searches for evidence to back up her threadbare hypothesis.

(OOC - Detect Magic)

ghostcat

First Post
Piedra Odio - Ranger 2

Having left Windwalker in the care of a friendly hostler, along with enough money to keep him in the manner that he is becoming accustomed, Piedra plods slowly along the track to the mines. Anyone who knew the dwarf would not be surprised to hear him muttering under his breath. Anyone who knows dwarvish would be surprised at what he was saying "mutter,mutter, mumble, mumble. Blooming mines. Why does it always have to be mines. I hate mines. mutter,mutter, mumble, mumble."

Arriving at the mine, Piedra's whole demeanor changes. He stops muttering and his whole body becomes alert. "If no one objects I'll go first. I want to see if there any tracks" Piedra slowly walks into the mine head down examining the ground. When he gets to scene of the murder, he will visually examine the ceiling. He will then carefully search the walls and floor for secret doors.

OOC
Take 20 on Perception (Perception 24, Locate hidden doors 26)

Andor

First Post
"Just thinking out loud here, but I suspect we may be dealing with cultists in some long-term scheme to summon their dark master. It's clear that robbery was not the motive. The killers probably knocked out the miners with saps or magic, made the odd wounds with a thin and pointed implement, and pushed the bits of metal inside to complete some horrid ritual."

Sam pauses and looks worried. "You think so? Ritual magic is not my area, but don't you think it would have done something already? Or animated the bodies as undead or something? I could use a prayer to detect evil if you think it's worth it..." He looks at Piedra to see what his opinion is.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
As the party searches the area, Sam's observation about chilly mine become harder to reconcile with the cave's changing conditions. The temperature spikes noticeably downward, moving from chilly to dead-of-winter cold. A few small pools of water frost over and begin to freeze.

Piedra looks up from the faint, confused traces of tracks. Some of them are booted, but of a strange tread unlike any he's ever seen. Mellisande's keen arcane senses detect a magic aura on part of the cave's wall. While the others search, she concentrates on the aura.

[sblock=Mellisande]
The aura's strength is moderate. Since Mellisande doesn't have Knowledge (arcana), she can't determine school.
[/sblock]

The piercing cold becomes accompanied by a fog. It starts as just a few wisps of slow-moving icy moisture suspended in the air, but gradually and quickly thickens. Jon is certain that the fog originates from the cave's rocky wall. He points this out, and Mellisande realizes he's pointing to the area of the magic aura.

Soon the fog will be so thick that clear vision will surely be limited to just a few feet.

Shayuri

First Post
The little gnome's mouth pops open in cute surprise and she rushes over to the foggy wall. "This is where the magic is!" she bleats...perhaps unnecessarily, since the -wall- is emitting -fog-. "It must be some kind of secret door that let in the ones that did all this!"

She whirls around, already starting to vanish into the haze.

"Do you think it's opening for us now? Or are they coming back?"

Andor

First Post
"Well crap. Score 1 for Jon's ritual magic theory. Now I just hope those corpses stay buried." Sam backs away from the encroaching fog and grasps the simple holy symbol he wears about his neck while he murrmurs the words for the detect evil spell.

ghostcat

First Post
Uncertain as to what the fog actually is but been certain that it does not bode well for the party, Piedra moves to give himself some fighting room and readies his weapons. "I'm just a simple dwarf. Cults are beyond me." Then with a uncharacteristic flash of insight, Piedra blurts out "You don't think this fog is one of those inter-planer portal thingies that wizards are alway playing with do you."

Remove ads