D&D 5E Pathfinder to 5e encounter conversion guide?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Well, I went and did it.

I was trying to clear some shelf space so I brought a big pile of RPGs to sell at the local con (OrcCon). After an hour, the only thing sold was my beat up copies of Vault of the Drow and Hidden Shrine, and some ancient Iron Crown thingamajig. At least that paid for my flea market table.

But the point was to get rid of my pile! So I entered the dealer room to find a sucke... I mean kind vendor to purchase my remaining Traveller, 3e, and etc RPG books. Lo and behold, my good friend from Seth's Games and Anime was willing to take them off me in Trade. And what do I find, but he has a huge stock of PF1 APs that he's selling for 50%+ off. What?! Well, with my trade and another $35 I ended up with Rise of the Runelords 1-6, Curse of the Crimson Throne 1-6, Serpent's Skull 1, Skull & Shackles 1, Ruins of Azlant 1-4, 6; and War for the Crown 1-6. A veritable TREASURE TROVE of PF1 adventures!

And yet my fine friends - I am not interested in even slightly playing or running Pathfinder 1 or 2.

So - I may have asked this before, but I'll ask again - anyone have any resources to convert Pathfinder 1 to 5e? I guess what I'm actually wondering is how do I look at an encounter and understand what the CR of the encounter is, so I can do an equivalent encounter?
Maybe even an XP converter would help. Most of the APs if I recall give an XP value to the encounter. If there was a good conversion guide for PF1 XP to 5eXP, that would be workable.

Thanks in advance.

(Yes, I know - it didn't really help me with my shelf space issue 🙃 )

So converting between editions (rules) is something that to me is very much an art and not a science.

You could go back and look at the PF guides to see how encounters are scaled, and then you could compare to 5E. But, that's not all their is, because they are built on different "adventuring days" and resources are managed differently in PF and 5E.

What I suggest is one of two ways to approach this;

1) Replace all the creatures with 5E creatures and call it a day. Or don't quite call it a day, but then take that and figure out how it fits in with the 5E encounter rules and adventuring day. Does it make sense? Or more directly, what level does such an adventure need for the characters?

2) Start from scratch. Read the adventure, see what the sense of it is. How hard it should be, what types of challenges the players face, and then build a whole new adventure based on that one. Design it to match the level of characters you want it to be.

Personally I'd go with #1 in most cases. Quicker, but it might mean that the converted adventure doesn't fit for the same level party.

Zardnaar

Legend
Normally I just replace CR for CR as a lot of AP monsters don't convert.

I'm using assets from the Mummy's Mask. APs not the best but nice maps etc so I stole them and redid the encounters/story.

Nice haul though

That's the other thing, treasure especially magic. You will have to completely re-calculate treasure. Comparatively, PF hands out magic items like candy compared to 5E.

Remove ads