Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder To Get New Core Rulebooks Soon

New books are a reorganization and consolidation rather than a new edition

PlayerCore_CoverMock_1200.png

It's not just D&D that's getting a 'revised' set of core books--Pathfinder is also getting 'remastered' books! The core rulebooks are being replaced by a new set of books, with new names, but like D&D it is being reiterated that this is not a new edition--"With the exception of a few minor variations in terminology and a slightly different mix of monsters, spells, and magic items, the rules remain largely unchanged."

The existing Pathfinder Core Rulebook, Gamemastery Guide, Bestiary, and Advanced Player’s Guide are being replaced with Pathfinder Player Core, Pathfinder GM Core, Pathfinder Monster Core, and Pathfinder Player Core 2.

These books appear to focus on re-organization and consolidation of existing material rather than substantive changes. They also represent Paizo's move away from the Open Gaming License and towards the new Open RPG Creative (ORC) license. Paizo says "This transition will result in a few minor modifications to the Pathfinder Second Edition system, notably the removal of alignment and a small number of nostalgic creatures, spells, and magic items exclusive to the OGL. These elements remain a part of the corpus of Pathfinder Second Edition rules for those who still want them, and are fully compatible with the new remastered rules, but will not appear in future Pathfinder releases."

Zil

Explorer
Interesting that according to the product descriptions alchemist, barbarian, champion, monk, and sorcerer are in Player Core 2. Witch “promoted” to Player Core 1.

Wonder how they decided to allocate the classes between the books.
According to Erik one reason is that classes like the alchemist are more 'techy' or complicated which is they were pushed back to the later book.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
One site?
I guess if the point is to use a website and not buy the books?
We have a year until they're irrelevant. Nice way to say "welcome to our system, everyone who bought the books during the record-breaking quarter."
And what about playtests - has anyone addressed that? We're just assuming it's all going to be magically compatible?

Waller

Legend
We have a year until they're irrelevant. Nice way to say "welcome to our system, everyone who bought the books during the record-breaking quarter."
And what about playtests - has anyone addressed that? We're just assuming it's all going to be magically compatible?
Tell me you didn't read the article without telling me you didn't read the article.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It sounds like a re-edit of the original releases and not anything new. Though, who knows with these things?

Retreater

Legend
Tell me you didn't read the article without telling me you didn't read the article.
I read it.
And I claim that One D&D is a new edition (as do many PF2 players). Ergo, this is a new edition.
Different spells, monsters, magic items. No alignment. PF2 isn't exactly a "rules lite" game. You can't just go changing stuff and expect it won't have an impact, especially when they claim this is how the game will operate "going forward."
Rebalancing classes, putting previously optional rules in the core books. It's a big deal.

teitan

Legend
Interesting that according to the product descriptions alchemist, barbarian, champion, monk, and sorcerer are in Player Core 2. Witch “promoted” to Player Core 1.

Wonder how they decided to allocate the classes between the books.

(Also leshy ancestry in PC 1)
That’s like 4e…

Remove ads

Remove ads