PATHFINDER UNCHAINED: Magic Items

If you're still not sure about Pathfinder Unchained, check out this preview from Paizo of a pair of magic items from the book. These items demonstrate the new magic item scaling rules - items which inprove as you level up, remaining an important part of your character through your adventuring career. "We've all been there. We've faced the sad crossroads when we realized that our favorite magic item just wasn't cutting it, and we couldn't justify keeping it instead of equipping the new and shinier item the party just found instead."

If you're still not sure about Pathfinder Unchained, check out this preview from Paizo of a pair of magic items from the book. These items demonstrate the new magic item scaling rules - items which inprove as you level up, remaining an important part of your character through your adventuring career. "We've all been there. We've faced the sad crossroads when we realized that our favorite magic item just wasn't cutting it, and we couldn't justify keeping it instead of equipping the new and shinier item the party just found instead."

The two items shown are a Robe of the Faerie Queen, and a CrystallTiara. Each gains new abilties at various levels.

Koloth

First Post
I like the concept. One problem I see is that unless there is some Rite of Transference process to transfer the item from a high level owner to the designated low level owner is a lot of low level owners becoming piles of mush as high level critters kill low level owners to steal the hi-powered items since the new high level owner can now use the item at full power. Without a proper Rite of Transference, the item just reverts to being a magical item with no active powers.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
you can look at it 2 ways - as in wow it took them this long to add Weapons of Legacy mechanic, or second, planned publishing of this material to stretch the value of the game system (not all the books put out in the first 3 to 5 years type thing). I think its probably a bit of both but it's nice to see. I'm already using this on my 5e game.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's no way to justify that sale price, for what these do, or for what's required to craft them.

It's become increasingly clear that the designers of this book have absolutely zero idea what they're doing.

I'm pretty sure Jason Bulmahn knows what he's doing. More likely is that you haven't yet seen the full rules for this type of magic item.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Is this Paizo's response to the popularity of 5E? I'm so out of the Pathfinder loop, so I'm just asking. Not trying to stir up trouble.

Remove ads

Remove ads