• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinderized Artificer a la Steampunk

Luna_Silvertear

First Post
Hello everyone. I think I'll just cut to the chase here. I'm current crafting a Steampunk setting for Pathfinder. I'm looting from Eberron and a few other books, bringing them into a cohesive whole. My problem is thus: How can I Pathfinderize the Artificer? I've seen a thread somewhere on here talking about bringing Eberron into PF and someone submitted a pdf with their changes to the Artificer. I like it a lot and when I locate it, I'll post a link so maybe some of you can help me. Anyway, I have created new skills (Use Steamcraft Device, Munitions, etc) or expanded on skills already in place (Knowledge: Steamcraft) I need help making the Artificer more Steampunkish. Maybe modifying a few of the abilities to make them more adept with working with various machines in my setting. Any suggestions? Perhaps I should elaborate a little more?

SteelDraco

First Post
How you adapt it sort of depends on what kind of role you want the artificer class to play. In Eberron, they can be either a buffer (by giving out temporary magic items they've created) or a blaster (by imbuing wands with metamagic feats and blasting away). Similar to clerics and undead, they make any fight with constructs fairly trivial, and in my experience that tends to be somewhat less than fun.

You said you wanted to go steampunk. Are the steampunk creations explicitly magical, or are they a form of technology? The artificer class in Eberron is focused around magical items, not technology. It's also a dedicated spellcaster. Is that your intent?

You might see if you can find the old World of Warcraft rulebook for D&D 3.0 - there was a tinker class in there that allowed you to create inventions and use guns that seems somewhat similar to what you're going for. I played one for a brief game, and I found it quite fun.

The class linked above is a nice take on a "mad scientist" type character class for Pathfinder. I haven't played it, but it seems like a fun way to go. I would personally miss some of the infusions that were my favorite part of the Eberron artificer, but it's a good way to play a Deadlands-ish steampunk mad scientist. That's actually how the current Deadlands rules work - you're a spellcaster with a technology-based description for each of your powers.

Luna_Silvertear

First Post
Here is a 3pp for a pathfinder artificer (don't know who made it)

http://http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/artificer

It is an interesting concept, though I know my DM would never let me try it out

Good luck building your world

Thanks man, but your link is broken.

SteelDraco, here is an excerpt from my notes:

Steampunk Campaign

Eons ago, there were two goddesses...twins. One was of magic. Her name is Alestros. The other, Science and Technology. Her name was Mechanica. Together, they gave their gifts to the world, and the world flourished. There was a melding of Magic and Science into something called Magitechnology. The other deities feared that with Magitechnology, mortals would become as powerful as them. The two goddesses knew the other gods conspired against them. They met in secret and created the ultimate meld of their gifts…the Warforged (As a note, I am looting Eberron. I'd like to see the Ironborn, but I can't find it anywhere.). They hid these creatures away along with the knowledge to create more of themselves and put them into a slumber. The deities stole the voice of the Goddess of magic and put her sister into a deep sleep, imprisoning her in an extra dementionalspace. Many many years have passed. The goddess of technology has began to whisper to the world. The races have begun exploring the ancient ruins and vaults, bringing the ancient gifts of Mechanica to the surface. She whispers from her prison, waiting for the day to be freed.
---
I want Artificers to be the "inbetween" of Magic and Technology...aptly Magitechnology. I like how they're built in general, and there are a few fixes that need to be made as far as the changes Pathfinder has made concerning item creation. I'm going to find that Artificer somewhere on this site as poat a link to the thread.

Luna_Silvertear

First Post
http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfinder-rpg-discussion/261048-eberron-conversion-questions-3.html

There's the link with the Artificer draft on it by Remathilis. Please look at it, my friends. I like how it looks and it behaves essentially as it does in 3.5, but I wanna Steam it up a bit. I'll add Knowledge (Steamcraft), Knowledge (Clockwork), Knowledge (Firearms), Munitions, and Use Steamcraft Device to it's skill list. Should I list out these skills and their effect to help us all brainstorm a bit?

SteelDraco

First Post
It would probably help to see what you're doing with those skills, yeah. Clearly you're adding firearms - should artificers get some abilities based around that?

My experience running a game for an artificer suggested that they don't normally have a lot to do in combat, unless they want to use a wand each action, and that gets expensive quite quickly. I would seriously consider giving them a "blasting rod" type power, similar in concept to the Alchemist's bomb from the Advanced Player's Guide. The other option would be to boost the homunculus class feature they get so it's more in line with a druid's animal companion or (more likely) a Summoner's eidolon.

Both of those could be given a steampunkish flavor pretty easily. The blasting rod could simply be a primitive firearm that only artificers use regularly, or just proficiency with an uncommon and effective weapon. The homunculus could easily be their steampunk guardian that they've built and modified to suit their liking.

Luna_Silvertear

First Post
It would probably help to see what you're doing with those skills, yeah. Clearly you're adding firearms - should artificers get some abilities based around that?

My experience running a game for an artificer suggested that they don't normally have a lot to do in combat, unless they want to use a wand each action, and that gets expensive quite quickly. I would seriously consider giving them a "blasting rod" type power, similar in concept to the Alchemist's bomb from the Advanced Player's Guide. The other option would be to boost the homunculus class feature they get so it's more in line with a druid's animal companion or (more likely) a Summoner's eidolon.

Both of those could be given a steampunkish flavor pretty easily. The blasting rod could simply be a primitive firearm that only artificers use regularly, or just proficiency with an uncommon and effective weapon. The homunculus could easily be their steampunk guardian that they've built and modified to suit their liking.

Munitions (Dex; Trained Only)
Use this skill to handle, place, or disable gunpowder
explosives with safety and accuracy,
and to reload and maintain firearms.

Check:​
Any action involving an explosive
requires a skill check.

Disable simple explosive:​
You can disarm a
simple explosive or bomb that is not trapped.
Generally, this task involves little more than
cutting a fuse or putting out a slow-burning
match. If you have 5 or more ranks in Disable
Device, you gain a +2 synergy bonus on the
Munitions check.

Set fuse:​
You safely set the fuse on a gunpowder
explosive so that it detonates after one
round.

Place explosive:​
You set a gunpowder charge at
the correct location to produce the maximum
effect on a structure or other object. You must
still set the fuse to determine when the explosive
will detonate.

Set timed fuse length:​
This use of the skill
allows you to set a fuse so that an explosive
detonates at a predetermined time. Asuccessful
skill check indicates that the explosive goes off
during your initiative on the designated round.
A failure on the skill check means that the
explosive fails to detonate, goes off early, or
detonates later than desired. The following
table indicates what happens on a failed skill
check.

d20 Round of Detonation​
1–4 Explosive fails to go off
5–8 Two rounds early
9–12 One round early
13–16 One round late
17–20 Two rounds late​

Make complex explosive:​
This use of the skill
represents the construction of a trapped explosive,
rigged to prevent disarming attempts.
Construction takes at least 1 minute, but
depending on the size and composition of the
bomb and the trap, more time may be required
at the DM’s discretion. If you have 5 or more
ranks in Craft (trapmaking), you gain a +2 synergy
bonus on skill checks for this task.

Disable complex explosive:​
Use this skill task
when trying to disarm an explosive specifically
trapped to discourage tampering. You must
make an opposed Munitions skill check against
the character that made the trapped explosive.
A standard complex explosive is DC 20, but
more exotic or complicated bombs may be
even more difficult.

Quick Reload:​
You can make a Munitions
check to reload your firearms faster. If you have 5 or more ranks in
Concentration, you get a +2 synergy bonus to
Munitions checks to reload a firearm.

Special:​
If you fail to disable a trapped explosive
by more than 5, the explosive detonates
immediately. You can make a Reflex save
(explosive’s DC + 5) for half damage.

101​
Munitions​
Task DC Action Required​
Disable simple explosive 10 Standard action
Set fuse 15 Standard action
Place explosive 15 Full-round action
Set timed fuse length 20 Standard action
Make complex explosive 25 Variable, see below
Disable complex explosive Opposed Full-round action
Quick reload (matchlock) 15 Full-round action
Quick reload (flintlock) 20 Standard action​

Use Steamcraft Device (Int)
Use this skill to operate complex mechanical devices, such as steam engines, and other machines.​

Check:​
You need this skill because such technology
is rare and exotic or if you want to
attempt an advanced or specialized task.

Retry:​
Depending on the situation, you can
retry as often as you like. However, in some
cases, the situation or the specific device you

are using will prevent further attempts.
--
Those are modified from Sorcery and Steam, which I am using as my "base". As I noted before, Steam is Ancient Technology, so go with that where you will. I wanna limit the use of firearms to lower level characters. They're powerful and expensive. Most of said ancient technology cannot be reproduced...or rather the modern world hasn't figured it out yet.

Digger's Society or Order of Studious Archeologists

A group concerned with the excavation and study of ancient technology. In order to "dig", you must have the proper license given by the OSA.

--
If you have Sorcery and Steam, maybe leaf through it or obtain a pdf and check it out. There's an Artificer class in it, but I feel it is horribly lacking.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Actually, if you reflavor the Alchemist's alchemical concoctions as infusions, that works well - no crunch adjustment required (although you don't get all those bonus crafting feats). Ultimate Magic may even have an alternative build that would fit the artificer role, but I don't have it yet as I'm waiting for the PDF to go on sale.

For a quick port of the original class, up the HD to d8, check the skills, and maybe add some 0-level infusions. The artificer was one of those classes that was overpowered as it was, so little adjustment is actually needed.

Luna_Silvertear

First Post
Sorry, I have to Bump. I'm seriously at a loss. The Artificer from Tome of Secrets is broken as Steven Hawking's sex drive. Seriously...I've seen a few more changes to the Artificer plus there's one in Ironborn of Questhaven, but I haven't had the chance to purchase it yet. I'm adding a few more skills to my list of "new skills" for my game. I ran the idea by me group, and they're all excited to give it a go. I'm so happy I could piss sunshine and shyt rainbows. XD This'll be my first time DMing since 04, and THAT was a great game dispite me only being 14 at the time.

Remove ads