Pathfinder 1E "Pathfinderizing" Non-Core Classes and Races

saucercrab

Explorer
I've made what I consider significant changes to how the Dragon Shaman works in my document. The most significant change relates to how the Touch of Vitality now works, in that I made it more like the Paladin's Lay On Hands ability in PF.
I tried not to change mechanics of the classes too much. Mostly just tried adding things to fill up dead levels. Bonus feats were/are a common addition, with the type relating to the class somehow (dragon shamans & dragonfire adepts get draconic feats, marshals get tactical feats, etc.).

Would the Favored Soul gain any fans, I wonder, if a single domain choice to the class were added, perhaps at half power? Just throwing crap at the wall here...
I thought of adding a domain too, as well as bloodline abilities, but felt that was too much. Decided to go with bloodline abilities. :shrugs:

I've been playing with the Hexblade as well; I posted the file in another thread. I'd be interested in comparing notes.
Was it the version with invocations in lieu of spells?

Eridanis,
Yup, I believe that is it. Thanks for posting it. (I forgot to check Paizo.com after my later posts.)

Presto2112

Explorer
Was it the version with invocations in lieu of spells?

No, what I did was to give hexblades a series of curse talents and arcane talents as they progress in levels, which they can choose from a list, similar the way they did rogue talents (or whatever they're called, I don't have the book in front of me) in PF.

FentonGib

First Post
Aristocrat PC

Did it! Made my first draft of Pathfinderised PC-worthy Artistocrat class.

Ok have done it on ms word and I think it will reformat horribly if I paste it here so am attaching it as a PDF for perusals.

I've named the class The Patrician. This is so as to be able to leave Aristocrat as an NPC generic class whilst using the Patrician for PCs (according to my thesaurus Patrician, Noble and Aristocrat mean the same, but I wanted a name that encompassed anyone of high standing but not necessarily nobility or royalty or even rich!). You're welcome to use what you want.

I've taken rgard's suggestion about paths to heart and although most of the Patrician's progression is fairly standard (but I think allowing for variance between players) your Heritage Path determines bonus skill, bonus combat style feats and special abilities you gain at 1st, 3rd and 20th level.

Ultimately I've tried to make it fair, usable and FUN. Ideally you could have a whole group of players playing Patricians and each could be unique in combat styles and special abilities that can each provide benefits to the group as a whole. I've tried to cover the social butterfly (Courtesan), the ne'er do well (Dilletante) and others.

Inspiration for this class was taken from the Heartwarder prestige class (Faiths & Pantheons - Forgotten Realms) and Dilletante prestige class (Champions of light) as well as influences from the Sorcerer, Bard and Swashbuckler classes.

I'm happier with some bits than others, and of course constructive comments are very very appreciated. :) I think some of the capstones especially need tweaking for balance or changing completely.

Feedback please :):):)

Attachments

• Aristocrat PC.pdf
    257.3 KB · Views: 159

rgard

Adventurer
Did it! Made my first draft of Pathfinderised PC-worthy Artistocrat class.

I've taken rgard's suggestion about paths to heart and although most of the Patrician's progression is fairly standard (but I think allowing for variance between players) your Heritage Path determines bonus skill, bonus combat style feats and special abilities you gain at 1st, 3rd and 20th level.

Feedback please :):):)

Thanks for the mention!

I'll have time to read this in depth on the weekend, but at first glance I am really impressed with the formatting and display. Looks professionally done to me.

Thanks again,
Rich

FentonGib

First Post
You're welcome.

Look forward to your opinions and suggestions :)

Have amended the Bonus Feats list to tidy it up, fix a couple of bugs and include Ravenloft sourcebooks (in which my game is set) since there's a lot of very appropriate, useful and non-combat feats in them:

Bonus Feats: At 5th level a Patrician gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement. Further bonus feats are gained at 10th, 14th and 18th level. These bonus feats must be selected from the following list:
Agile Maneuvers (PRPG), Alertness (PRPG), Ancestral Legacy (VrA), Athletics (PRPG), Caught Off-Guard (Combat; PRPG), Combat Expertise (PRPG), Courage (Rav), Dabbler (HoL), Deadly Aim (PRPG), Deceitful (PRPG), Defensive Combat Training (PRPG), Dodge (Combat; PRPG), Double-Slice (Combat; PRPG), Eidetic Memory (HoL), Endurance (PRPG), Equestrian (CoD), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (PRPG), Far Shot (PRPG), Force of Personality (CA), Great Fortitude (PRPG), Greater Two Weapon Defence (CW), Greater Two Weapon Fighting (CW), Haunted (Rav), Heavy Armour Proficiency (PRPG), Improved Critical (PRPG), Improved Disarm (PRPG), Improved Feint (PRPG), Improved Initiative (PRPG), Improved Precise Shot (PRPG), Improved Two Weapon Defence (CW), Improved Two Weapon Fighting (CW), Iron Will (PRPG), Jaded (Rav), Knowledgeable (HoL), Leadership (PRPG), Library (HoL), Lightning Reflexes (PRPG), Literacy (HoL), Logical Mind (VrA), Machiavellian (CoD), Mesmerizing (CoD), Mobility (Combat; PRPG), Muse (VrA), Open Mind (Rav), Persuasive (PRPG), Point Blank Shot (PRPG), Precise Shot (PRPG), Quick Draw (PRPG), Reincarnated (Rav), Secret Society (HoL), Smitten (VrA), Spring Attack (Combat; PRPG), Sworn Enemy (VrA), Tantric Ability (CoD), Toughness (PRPG), Two Weapon Defence (PRPG), Two Weapon Fighting (PRPG), Two-Weapon Rend (Combat; PRPG), University Education (HoL), Weapon Focus (PRPG), Weapon Swap (Combat; PRPG), Wealth (HoL). A Patrician must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Sources:
CA – Complete Adventurer
CoD
– Champions of Darkness (Ravenloft)
CW
– Complete Warrior
HoL – Heroes of Light (Ravenloft)
PRPG – Pathfinder Role-Playing Game
Rav – Ravenloft Player’s Handbook 3.5
VrA. – Van Richten’s Arsenal (Ravenloft)

If you want let me know and Ill re-upload the edited PDF (have also sorted out some wonky formatting and little mistakes)

Last edited:

saucercrab

Explorer
No, what I did was to give hexblades a series of curse talents and arcane talents as they progress in levels, which they can choose from a list, similar the way they did rogue talents (or whatever they're called, I don't have the book in front of me) in PF.
(Sorry for the delay in responding.)

Oh yeah, now I remember reading that one. I can't find it now to go over as I type this, though. I did like some of the upgraded choices for the hex curse (even if I can't remember the specifics, I can remember saying, "hey some of these are neat!").

My version of a PF hexblade incorporated most of Mike Mearls' upgrades for regular 3.5 (found here: Hi, I'm Mike Mearls & I endorse this set of houserules), adding the duskblade's Armored Mage ability, some feat choices to the bonus list (Battle Caster from CArc & any of the hex feats from Dragon #339), & some Advanced Learning (once for each spell level). I am undecided on what to do with the familiar ability. Was thinking of either keeping it, or adding some of the wizard's school abilities (but limiting them to the schools hexblades can cast from), or maybe even using some of the sorcerer's bloodlines (since the hexblade has Cha-based spellcasting). But, as usual, I can't come up with a capstone ability. Also, the caster level is class level -3 (which would apply to familiar abilities, if used), not 1/2.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Just remember that one of the ideas behind Pathfinder was to bring the original core classes up to par with the prestige and later core classes. Since they're now balanced, there really shouldn't be a reason to give the other core classes a bump in power - just adjust the skills to that they match and call it good.

Of course this is all theoretical. My group decided not to pull in any of the later core classes and are instead getting reacquainted with the PHB core classes.

That is assuming that all the later core classes were made superior to the PHB classes. The marshal seems to me to be somewhat weak and more of a stand there and let people bask in your auras type.

FentonGib

First Post
Update

Update to my earlier post about the Aristocrat (PC version) class.

Have tidied it up, make it prettier, and changed a few feats and talents.

Here's the updated version

Comments welcome.

Attachments

• Aristocrat PC2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 367

Runestar

First Post
Some of the pathfinder revisions seem suspect to me. Take the new fighter for example. Yes, it is undeniably an improvement, but for me, it seems like a step in the wrong direction, in that it does not appear to solve the crux of what made the fighter so crappy in 3e.

IMO, the last thing a fighter needs is more damage/better AC, because it had no problems dealing ample damage back then. Rather, its biggest concern (which pathfinder apparently still fails to address) was options (or rather, the lack thereof), which the warblade solved rather admirably.

And if anything, the spellcasters seem stronger than ever! :erm:

Anyone feel that the pathfinder revisions need some revision themselves? :confused:

Remove ads