Patronage Project? For the Monster book?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I'm intrigued by the patronage concept specifically as a way to raise funds for more artwork.

In my own spin on the patronage concept, the project will go whether or not we hit the target budget-- I already have an art budget for Monsters, but we obviously won't be illustrating every single monster in the SRD. That would be a budget-buster.

But with the help of patrons, we can increase the art budget and thereby improve the overall quality of the work.

Here are just the broad strokes of what I have in mind:

$20—Pre-Order Patron
  • Signed copy of the book
  • Your name listed in the credits as a patron
  • A lower purchase price than you will pay at Amazon

$40—Monster Patron
  • Your name listed in the credits as a patron (extra commitment noted)
    PLUS
  • You may specify a particular monster that you want illustrated. Your name will appear as the specific patron of that monster, under its illustration on its entry.

$60—Monster Maker
  • Your name listed in the credits as a patron (extra commitment noted)
    PLUS
  • You can name and design a monster, an NPC, a templated monster, etc. custom created either BY you or FOR you, and illustrated by Scott Purdy. We will approve your name, work with you to polish up your design on our end (editing and QC, in other words), and we’ll give you both design credit and patronage credit for the illustration.

The dollar amounts listed are just rough estimates and might change.

Any interest? Any comments? Does that sound workable?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I'm certainly intrigued.

A couple quick questions - What if someone wants to create more than one monster or guarantee illustration of more than one monster? Can such machinations lead to more than one signed copy of the book?

blobsticks

First Post
Hey guys,

I'm one of the artists that will be on this project and I'm really looking forward to illustrating these monsters, especially your own designs.

I hope my style fits in with how you hope the book will look, I'll definitely try my best. Ben might be along later to show some samples that I've already completed. :)

So yeah, this patronage idea is something that I've never come across before, it should be interesting :)

Cheers.
Scott.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I'm not sure if it's 100% to go, I had already signed up to work on this and Ben asked if I was still willing if the Patronage worked out... which I am :)
So we'll see, fingers crossed :)

I still have to work out the details. This was just a question of feasibility. I am glad there's a bit of interest, but the rubber hits the road when the patronage project is actually up and running.

I'll post one of Scott's illos that I got just this morning. Mr. Purdy likes to complain whenever I ask for anything that isn't undead-- or at least well into the corpse-ripening stage-- and he was ready to beg off the Animals and Vermin entirely. But with enough begging and pleading, I got him on board.

So below I give you my own personally sponsored monster, the carnivorous ape. I will call him "Furious George."

Attachments

• Animal_Ape.png
    Animal_Ape.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 207

Remove ads