Patronage Project? For the Monster book?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'd definitely put money into this, probably at the highest level, since that seems to offer more than most patronage projects (or at least, more that I care about, since I'm usually not very keen on in-depth design discussion).

That said, I wonder if there wouldn't be a few sticky wickets.

$40—Monster Patron
  • Signed copy of the book
  • Your name listed in the credits as a patron (extra commitment noted)
    PLUS
  • You may specify a particular monster that you want illustrated. Your name will appear as the specific patron of that monster, under its illustration on its entry.

I can't help but wonder what'll happen should two or more people request illustrations for the same monster. I can already foresee lots of people going for illustrations of the succubus, erinyes, dryad, nymph, etc.

Wulf Ratbane said:
$60—Monster Maker
  • Signed copy of the book
  • Your name listed in the credits as a patron (extra commitment noted)
    PLUS
  • You can name and design a monster, an NPC, a templated monster, etc. custom created either BY you or FOR you, and illustrated by Scott Purdy. We will approve your name, work with you to polish up your design on our end (editing and QC, in other words), and we’ll give you both design credit and patronage credit for the illustration.

This sounds awesome, though I wonder if some requests would tax even your quality control abilities (there's always someone out there who thinks that their terrible monster/NPC idea is made out of pure gold).

And that carnivorous ape is one scary gorilla!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I can't help but wonder what'll happen should two or more people request illustrations for the same monster. I can already foresee lots of people going for illustrations of the succubus, erinyes, dryad, nymph, etc.

I've already considered this and there are a few obvious solutions-- and perhaps some that I haven't thought of.

"First Come First Serve" is always an option. If somehow there's a stampede of patrons (I should be so lucky) then I can have folks list their top 5, and take the first one that's not already taken.

Keep in mind that it is a community project and I can work things out with the patrons over forums and emails.

By the way, you forgot to mention the gynosphinx and the lamia.

Hey! Good news! The d20 license is dead, so it's hard nips all around.

This sounds awesome, though I wonder if some requests would tax even your quality control abilities (there's always someone out there who thinks that their terrible monster/NPC idea is made out of pure gold).

As I mentioned above, we'll do everything we can to communicate with the patrons, but editorial control is ultimately our discretion. There's no other "safe" way to allow folks that kind of creative freedom.

I am sure we can all play nice!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Just a quick heads up, we've been green-lit at Kickstarter for this patronage project-- we're definitely going to give it a try.

If you have any comments or concerns you'd like to work out in advance, now is the time to raise them.

I have a few questions myself:

1) Do the price break points look ok? I might need to go to $25 on the bottom end. Is that a deal-breaker for anyone? What kind of flexibility is there in the pricing structure?

2) Part of the fun of a patronage project is for the patrons to have some influence on the direction of the project, so I'd like to offer a bit more collaboration at the middle tier. Any suggestions?

3) Lastly, the project needs a title. Not necessarily the book-- the patronage project. They can differ. For example, the patronage project could be "Patrons of the Monstrous Arts" (and you'd be listed as such in the Trailblazer book-- whatever it comes to be called.)

Last edited:

booboo

First Post
1) 25$ wont hurt me, but i want to buy in higher so I'm probably not going to care anyway.
2) that sounds good, besides picking witch monsters you want illustrated, may be there will be some way to create variant creatures instead of new monsters out of whole cloth
3) creature feature part one

ps. how many monsters are going to be in the book?

joela

First Post
Just a quick heads up, we've been green-lit at Kickstarter for this patronage project-- we're definitely going to give it a try.

Linky?

I have a few questions myself:

1) Do the price break points look ok? I might need to go to $25 on the bottom end. Is that a deal-breaker for anyone? What kind of flexibility is there in the pricing structure?

Not a deal breaker at all. In fact, I'd be willing to consider an even higher tier ($75+) if promised lifetime updates to the bestiary.

2) Part of the fun of a patronage project is for the patrons to have some influence on the direction of the project, so I'd like to offer a bit more collaboration at the middle tier. Any suggestions?

Patron writes the description of the monster; e.g. The stone figure expanded as it stretched from the bare rock. You watched in horror and awe as the grey rocks fell away, revealing greenish, wart-ridden skin that pulsated as it grew over the humanoid form (troll).

3) Lastly, the project needs a title. Not necessarily the book-- the patronage project. They can differ. For example, the patronage project could be "Patrons of the Monstrous Arts" (and you'd be listed as such in the Trailblazer book-- whatever it comes to be called.)

"Patrons of the Monstrous Arts" works for me :cool:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
how many monsters are going to be in the book?

My current list includes only SRD monsters-- but it includes all variants/sizes of each creature and all the templates.

That list numbers 577.

Incidentally this means, perforce, that the print version won't be able to hold fast to my goal of 1 monster per page-- but since that particular goal is meant for game-prep printing ease, I think it will suffice if we have a print-friendly PDF with monsters at 1/page (and no background-- message received.)

Note that (a) we'll be adding to that 577 number and (b) that does not mean 577 unique monster types.

When it's live'y! Probl'y Mond'y!

Not a deal breaker at all. In fact, I'd be willing to consider an even higher tier ($75+) if promised lifetime updates to the bestiary.

I don't understand what you mean here. It sounds like there's some service you're expecting and not receiving?

Patron writes the description of the monster.

So the patron pays for the privilege of doing the work I don't really want to do myself. Intriguing! :p

I have some concerns in that regard with copyright issues-- meaning, I would have to check that no one is submitting copyrighted work to me.

The stone figure expanded as it stretched from the bare rock. You watched in horror and awe as the grey rocks fell away, revealing greenish, wart-ridden skin that pulsated as it grew over the humanoid form (troll).

Not bad!

"Patrons of the Monstrous Arts" works for me :cool:

I am ok with it, too, but I am still open to suggestions.

joela

First Post
When it's live'y! Probl'y Mond'y!

Coolly! :cool:

I don't understand what you mean here. It sounds like there's some service you're expecting and not receiving?

Expecting? Not at all.

So the patron pays for the privilege of doing the work I don't really want to do myself. Intriguing! :p

That's another way to view it. ;)

I have some concerns in that regard with copyright issues-- meaning, I would have to check that no one is submitting copyrighted work to me.

Good point. Let me think about some other bennies for that tier.

Coolio.

I am ok with it, too, but I am still open to suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Remove ads