D&D (2024) Pax West 2023 - Acq Inc in Greyhawk

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Having seen that WoTC using Greyhawk in the last 2 cons, do we think Greyhawk will be a setting for 2024 or even the main setting like Livign Hreyhawk in 3.0? Main setting would be a little outside my expectation but I am hoping we get something Greyhawk heavy setting.
Like @Nikosandros says, we know that the new DMG has a structure of a chapter illustrating Adventure creation using a general template and a specific example Adventure. This is then followed by a chapter doing the same for hiw to build a long term Campaign using a general template and a specific example. Then there is another chapter dies that for building a Setting, providing a general template and a specific example (with a fold out poster map).

Now, we don't know what the example Setting is...but I'm betting that it will be Greyhawk. We know that WotC is not moving entirely away from the FR, because there is an upcoming storyline focused on the Red Wizards of Thay...but I wouldn't be surprised if future Adventures include references to the DMG about how they can be revised for that sample Setting (whether it is Greyhawk or something else) or any homebrew Setting.

Last edited:

I think they've implied another setting release (whether single book or slipcase) next year, and given it will be the 50th anniversary, either Greyhawk or a proper Forgotten Realms guide would be my guess.

Furthermore, as others have noted, the '24 DMG is said to contain a "sample setting", which could very much be Greyhawk as well.

So I'd say chances are decent.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
I want a deluxe, fully updated edition of a 5e Greyhawk setting released for the game's 50th anniversary, and I want it to include Blackmoor. And I want it to include a detailed preface written by someone like Jon Peterson that explains the historical significance of these settings, and fully gives Gygax, Arneson, and rest of early TSR their flowers. Basically, a celebration of where the game began and what it has become.

WotC owes it to those guys...and so do we.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think they've implied another setting release (whether single book or slipcase) next year, and given it will be the 50th anniversary, either Greyhawk or a proper Forgotten Realms guide would be my guess.

Furthermore, as others have noted, the '24 DMG is said to contain a "sample setting", which could very much be Greyhawk as well.

So I'd say chances are decent.
Ray Winninger hinted that a Setting that had already showed up in 5E as of ~2020 might be seen in 2024 (since he also clarified that meat not a Magic Aetting, amd Ravenloft was already coming at the time, that left FR, Hreyhawk because of Saltmarsh, and Eberron as candidates). But he also said that whatever he was hinting at might not happen. He may have been hinting at this DMG plan, or even the Vecna world hopping Campaign, or...maybe something else. Time will tell.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If they sneak this in the dmg I will be buying…throw in easier treasure and magic item tables and Greyhawk will render me defenseless.

Though I would like a big book of Greyhawk alone, I would not pass this up.
Honestly, this us one big reasonI believe this may be Greyhawk: what better way to trigger grognards into buying the DMG like Pavlovian sleeper agents than including a Mike Schley map of the Flannaes...?

Ray Winninger hinted that a Setting that had already showed up in 5E as of ~2020 might be seen in 2024 (since he also clarified that meat not a Magic Aetting, amd Ravenloft was already coming at the time, that left FR, Hreyhawk because of Saltmarsh, and Eberron as candidates). But he also said that whatever he was hinting at might not happen. He may have been hinting at this DMG plan, or even the Vecna world hopping Campaign, or...maybe something else. Time will tell.
I think Perkins/Crawford said something more recent than that - as in, within the past month or two.

Something along the lines of they've already got the next setting release lined up and ready for announcement and that they were excited to talk about it once Planescape is out, presumably whenever they finally drop next year's release roadmap.

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Honestly, this us one big reasonI believe this may be Greyhawk: what better way to trigger grognards into buying the DMG like Pavlovian sleeper agents than including a Mike Schley map of the Flannaes...?
That was what I was thinking too.

I am more than on the fence about 5.5. They start doing Greyhawk stuff and I am likely to get suckered at least for some selections…

Last edited:

Remove ads