Payn's Ponderings' To script, or not to script?

I like the description of an "adventure" as a situation or a site. How the players interact with that is up to them, but the notion of an "adventure path" - or even a single adventure - where players move through a series of scenes, even where some flexibility is assumed, is sort of alien to me.

I prefer a giant stable of NPCs with whom the PCs can interact in logical ways as a means of driving the game forward, so most of my prep time is spent with NPC development. I'm a big fan of encouraging the players to push the game in unexpected directions, but there is a tacit understanding that this happens within the "mythic logic" of the game itself - which is rather particular to each game or campaign, and, to some extent, demands familiarity and a shared vision.

Sometimes PC capture occurs, but this is always a player choice based on the "defeated" condition which might mean death under other circumstances. I don't enforce PC death, although players are free to choose it - or suggest some other development - when defeated.

Remove ads