Payn's Ponderings... Top 10 Essential Albums

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
1. U2 - Rattle and Hum
2. Pink Floyd - The Wall
3. Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
4. U2 - Joshua Tree
5. Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & II (go with The Stranger if you make me pick one)
6. Lost Boys (Soundtrack)
7. Queen - Greatest Hits (I don't think any one of their usual albums would make the list for me)
8. Randy Newman - Sail Away
9. Eagles - Hotel California (would go greatest hits vol. II except trying to avoid those)
10. Chicago - 17

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
First attempt:

Massive Attack- Mezzanine
Nine Inch Nails- The Fragile
Portishead- Dummy
Black Sabbath
Pearl Jam- Ten
Alice in Chains – Dirt
Radiohead- A Moon-Shaped Pool Sinead O'Connor, The Lion and the Cobra
Led Zeppelin- Mothership (yes, picking a GH album)
Beatles- Abbey Road
Bjork, volumen 1993-2003 (one more GH album)
The latter probably edging out Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Explosions in the Sky- The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place or another Beatles album. Or, damn; Violent Femmes.

If I was going to select soundtracks.., Ugh. Singles, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, The Royal Tenebaums, Velvet Goldmine, Romeo + Juliet, Cool World, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Crow, Tank Girl.... There are a lot of classics out there.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Now reading other people's lists I'm tempted to go back and edit mine, so much good stuff especially if we can count soundtracks.

Last year I got a turntable and have slowly been buying vinyl again. Hunting down stuff at used record stores is tons of fun.
Getting down to 10 is so very very difficult!

I got about 300 vinyl records of various condition. Vinyl hunting is fun, but gotten tougher in recent years. Lots of hand me down stuff from the old man (Allman Brothers, Lynrd Skynrd) and the step father (Kiss, Motely Crew). Funny how about 5 years a difference makes.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Oh.

Oh no. Um ... okay, @payn you really need to come up with better rules!

Here are my rules for answering this-
1. No "Best of" Albums.
2. It has to be an actual album that the artist wanted released.
3. No more than one album by any artist.
4. I will try to use a combination of what the album means to me (I like it) with what the album means generally (overall importance).
5. No soundtracks.
6. No music prior to 1966.
7. No jazz (although the 1966 barrier excludes some of the best, like The Shape of Jazz to Come, it's just to hard to compare), no classical, no country. This is strictly pop/rock/hip hop.

This is not in order.

1. Low, David Bowie. Tough one. Station to Station is more listenable. Ziggy Stardust has the most hits. Hunky Dory is a sneaky favorite. But Low is the sound of the future crashing into the present.

2. Doolittle, Pixies. If you want to explain the early 90s, you don't start with Nevermind. You start here. Still, arguably, the best 90s album ... and it was 1989.

3. Yeezus, Kanye. I know that Ye is more of a punchline than an artist today, but the run from 2004 (College Dropout) to 2016 (Life of Pablo) is right there with any artist you can name. And Yeezus is abrasive, flawed, alienating ... and Ye at his best.

4. Kid A, Radiohead. It is nearly impossible to believe that this album was controversial when it was released as the followup to their second-best album (OK Computer), yet ... it was. Timeless and magic.

5. The Velvet Underground & Nico, Velvet Underground. One of the few albums that can never sounds dated; it always sounds like it's coming from some impossibly cool party occurring three years in the future.

6. Aja, Steely Dan. Technically, doesn't violate the "no jazz" rule. Steely Dan is what would happen if Joan Didion and William S. Burroughs had an unholy love child that loved jazz and studio perfection.

7. Hatful of Hollow, The Smiths. Okay, this is skirting the "no best of," but it was a contemporaneous compilation originally released in 1984 from BBC sessions. Say what you will about Morrissey, The Smiths were amazing.

8. Dummy, Portishead. I wanted to go with Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk for its importance, but ... I love Portishead. Three albums, three stone-cold classics.

9. Random Access Memories, Daft Punk. Do you remember when a French Electronica band was the biggest thing in the world? I do, and they deserved it. I wanted to put in Human After All, or even Homework ... but this is just a stone-cold classic album, with every single track being amazing.

10. Blonde, Frank Ocean. If you're not living too much, maybe you're not living at all.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Oh.

Oh no. Um ... okay, @payn you really need to come up with better rules!

Here are my rules for answering this-
1. No "Best of" Albums.
2. It has to be an actual album that the artist wanted released.
3. No more than one album by any artist.
4. I will try to use a combination of what the album means to me (I like it) with what the album means generally (overall importance).
5. No soundtracks.
I like it.
6. No music prior to 1966.
7. No jazz (although the 1966 barrier excludes some of the best, like The Shape of Jazz to Come, it's just to hard to compare), no classical, no country. This is strictly pop/rock/hip hop.
No can do, my OP breaks all of these happily.

GreyLord

Legend
1. Metallica - The Black Album
2. U2 - Joshua Tree
3. The Greatest Classical Hits - The Complete Collection (it had 4 different sets each with 2 or 3 dvd's each).
4. The Complete Beethoven
5. The Complete Bach
6. My selfmade 80s collection album
7. Greatest hits of enya
8. Metallica - S&M
9. Metallica - Master of Puppets
10. Metallica - Death Magnet

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I like it.

No can do, my OP breaks all of these happily.

No worries. It's a nearly impossible list to make. Even with the restrictions I placed on myself, I still didn't put in any albums by the Beatles or Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd, I didn't have Nirvana or Hole, I didn't have Neutral Milk Hotel or Modest Mouse, I incorporated Brian Eno by reference but missed out on some of his classics, I didn't get any classic hip hop in there (Jay Z, Snoop, Dre, Tupac, Eminem), I didn't get Kedrick Lamar in, there isn't any 80s new wave, or 70s punk, and I couldn't list the Strokes or Cage the Elephant or Vampire Weekend and barely touched on Electronica and some 80s synth-pop revival.....

10 Albums is HARD.

Remove ads